Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

Old March 21st 05, 10:05 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls
Nick H

Default Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

In article , se
says...
Here in the UK, I am on NTL cable and have just one PC attached.

My head is spinning with all the configuration rules and exceptions
which need configuring for a software firewall.

I thought I was doing ok with user guides like the section called:
"Personal firewall configuration for cable modems"
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.../security.html

But it turns out that things are still more complicated than that.
As an example, I installed Outpost and came across this advice page.
http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...ead.php?t=9858
Oh wow. It's all too much! :-) I just want protection without
becoming an enthusiast or even expert in firewall configuration.

QUESTION ONE: If I buy a hardware firewall then will it completely
replace the need for me to have a software firewall? That would save
me some headaches!

QUESTION TWO: I might get a second PC and want to attach both PCs to
the cable network at the same time. I have heard I can do it with a
box which includes a hardware firewall as well as some other
functions. But exactly what sort of box is it that I would need?
Any suggestions about recommended hardware devices would be welcome.

Sandi

1 - Up to you. A hardware firewall is good for protection from all
intruders gaining direct access to your PC/network, but no good at
detecting things from calling home. It is also much easier to set up. A
software firewall gives you the extra protection in detecting things from
calling home, but they can be quite easy to configure incorrectly and
leave you vulnerable. A hardware firewall is independent of your PC and
so uses no PC resources.

2 - You want a Router. This automatically provides firewall protection.
Before you get a recommendation, you need to decide if you want a
wireless or wired setup (although some routers support both). To
complicate things, some routers can act as print servers which can help
with sharing printers.

Personally I only run a hardware firewall, but I am looking for a free
software one which fits particular criteria as well. Jetico may be the
one for me when thay have sorted a blocking bug for me. Kerio 2.1.5 is no
good for one of my apps, and 4 does not support WinME. ZoneAlarm did not
used to do something I wanted, but it may do now, so I might try it
again. I never got to grips with the old Outpost.
Old March 22nd 05, 09:17 AM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,comp.security.firewalls
Ninho

Nick H said :

Personally I only run a hardware firewall, but I am looking for a free
software one which fits particular criteria as well. Jetico may be the
one for me when thay have sorted a blocking bug for me. Kerio 2.1.5 is no
good for one of my apps, and 4 does not support WinME.

Would you add some details about that app and KPF 2.1 incompatibility
? Possibly opening a new thread in comp.security.firewall .

Regards

--
Ninho