Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

Old March 21st 05, 11:49 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls
Duane Arnold

Default Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

Sandi wrote in news:[email protected]
194.168.222.120:

Here in the UK, I am on NTL cable and have just one PC attached.

My head is spinning with all the configuration rules and exceptions
which need configuring for a software firewall.

I thought I was doing ok with user guides like the section called:
"Personal firewall configuration for cable modems"
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.../security.html

But it turns out that things are still more complicated than that.
As an example, I installed Outpost and came across this advice page.
http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...ead.php?t=9858
Oh wow. It's all too much! :-) I just want protection without
becoming an enthusiast or even expert in firewall configuration.

QUESTION ONE: If I buy a hardware firewall then will it completely
replace the need for me to have a software firewall? That would save
me some headaches!

You can get yourself a NAT router that's going to stop the inbound
threats and ease the complicated rules and provides good protection. The
NAT router is a plug it up and go device with little configuration on
your part.

QUESTION TWO: I might get a second PC and want to attach both PCs to
the cable network at the same time. I have heard I can do it with a
box which includes a hardware firewall as well as some other
functions. But exactly what sort of box is it that I would need?
Any suggestions about recommended hardware devices would be welcome.

Once again the NAT router that has (logging) that you can use with a log
viewer so you can watch inbound and outbound traffic to/from the network.

However, NAT routers cannot stop outbound and some people supplement the
NAT router with a PFW solution that can stop outbound. If you go that
route with supplement PFW solution on the machines, then find one that
you can disable the complicated bloat ware in it such as Application
Control and the other stuff. The PFW solution should be able to stop all
outbound period or by port or IP if need be -- simple rules.

Or get yourself a low-end (true) firewall appliance that has router
capabilities that can stop inbound and outbound and has logging too. And
the FW appliance has the rules already made and all you have to do is
enable them if needed along with the ability to make additional more
complicated rules yourself for inbound or outbound, but most likely you
will not need to make any rules. Here too, the low-end SOHO FW is
basically a plug it up and go device with little configuration on your
part.

Duane