Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

Old March 22nd 05, 12:16 AM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls
nemo outis

Default Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

In article , Sandi
wrote:
Here in the UK, I am on NTL cable and have just one PC attached.

My head is spinning with all the configuration rules and exceptions
which need configuring for a software firewall.

I thought I was doing ok with user guides like the section called:
"Personal firewall configuration for cable modems"
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.../security.html

But it turns out that things are still more complicated than that.
As an example, I installed Outpost and came across this advice page.
http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...ead.php?t=9858
Oh wow. It's all too much! :-) I just want protection without
becoming an enthusiast or even expert in firewall configuration.

QUESTION ONE: If I buy a hardware firewall then will it completely
replace the need for me to have a software firewall? That would save
me some headaches!

QUESTION TWO: I might get a second PC and want to attach both PCs to
the cable network at the same time. I have heard I can do it with a
box which includes a hardware firewall as well as some other
functions. But exactly what sort of box is it that I would need?
Any suggestions about recommended hardware devices would be welcome.

Sandi

I sympathize.

Yes, it is an acute PITA to realize that to do a litttle surfing
and emailing in relative security, you must devote untold hours
to mastering the arcana of firewalls, virus checkers, spyware
eliminators, and on and on.

But such is life on the internet.

The question is: Are you willing to settle for "not bad" or
"pretty good" protection, or do you wish to be (nearly)
bombproof.

The latter takes enormous effort including educating yourself
about endless nooks and crannies of OSs and programs. The former
can be done with much less effort but the risks remain
considerable.

What can I say? It's up to you to choose.

Regards,

PS Fortunately there are tools that cater to the different
mindsets. While, for instance, no firewall will be rock-solid
when used "out of the box," those like Zonealarm will provide
considerable - but by no means complete - protection for those
who don't want to spend a lot of efort.

OTOH you can diddle with, say, Sygate endlessly to get it "just
so" and it will provide better - but still not perfect -
protection.