Email on the road

Old March 22nd 05, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

Default Email on the road

Q1: Looking for solution to the following:
- notebook user has a broadband connection at home and uses the
same ISP for email
- 'on the road', the user needs to access email. Choices of
connection are dial-up, WiFi hotspot, hotel/Internet cafe LAN,
GPRS/3G card.
- receiving email via Outlook Express works just fine...
- ...BUT how do you send email?
- The home BB ISPs SMTP server invariably bounces you with
'relaying is not allowed' error.
- Opening email accounts with the alternative ISPs and
changing the SMTP address is a PITA.

The solution I've found thus far when away from home base is to
have the user connect by whatever means and then use
www.text2mail.com or similar for email access - works but is 'sub-
optimal' IMO.

Practical and constructive suggestions please?

Q2: It seems to me that if SMTP servers were set up to authenticate
users in the same way that POP3 servers do, Q1 would not be an
issue. So why don't ISPs do that?
Old March 22nd 05, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

BRG wrote in
:

Correction: I meant to put http://www.mail2web.com/ not
www.text2mail.com
Old March 22nd 05, 01:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Q1: Looking for solution to the following:
- notebook user has a broadband connection at home and uses the
same ISP for email
- 'on the road', the user needs to access email. Choices of
connection are dial-up, WiFi hotspot, hotel/Internet cafe LAN,
GPRS/3G card.

If he has a desktop at home and a notebook with him, he could use
something like VNC / TightVNC to allow him to connect to his home PC
remotely, and simply send his emails using his connection at home. His
screen refreshes are likely to be as slow as a tortoise on mogadon, but
it`d work :-}

Note that I wouldn`t recommend this if going on the road for more than a
day or so, as it could potentially leave him wide open to hackers if they
guessed his password (which is limited to 8 characters), although in the
short term if he changed his password regularly to a randomly generated
one...

Old March 22nd 05, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Warner

BRG wrote:

Q1: Looking for solution to the following:
- notebook user has a broadband connection at home and uses the
same ISP for email
- 'on the road', the user needs to access email. Choices of
connection are dial-up, WiFi hotspot, hotel/Internet cafe LAN,
GPRS/3G card.
- receiving email via Outlook Express works just fine...
- ...BUT how do you send email?
- The home BB ISPs SMTP server invariably bounces you with
'relaying is not allowed' error.
- Opening email accounts with the alternative ISPs and
changing the SMTP address is a PITA.

I route all of my outgoing email (multiple accounts) through a single
gradwell SMTP account.

Doesn't matter how or where I get on the 'net... works great.

http://www.gradwell.com/email/smtp-relay.php

HTH
Tom
--
My ol' grandaddy taught me to always;
post in plain text,
Old March 22nd 05, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jon

"BRG" wrote in message
[...]

For approx 10 per year, you could always get you own domain and
email hosting package, and be able access it from any connection
at any time.

Also, if you take into account the GPRS cost of VPNing back to
your home PC to access your ISPs mailbox, the 10 pa
*might* work out cheaper

An additional benefit is the fact that you can change ISP at any
time and retain email address continuity ....

Old March 22nd 05, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

he could change to an ISP that provides authenticated SMTP, or use a
3rd party service like one from www.gradwell.net or
www.clara.net/btbroadband

SMTP Authentication isn't bombproof and there are different ways of
doing it, so ISPs in the main don't bother.

Google mail provides an authenticated SMTP service but it will insert
the gmail address in the from field, though you can have "reply to" set
accordingly.

Phil.

Old March 22nd 05, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oldie

On 22 Mar 2005 00:38:48 -0800, "PhilT" wrote:

he could change to an ISP that provides authenticated SMTP, or use a
3rd party service like one from www.gradwell.net or
www.clara.net/btbroadband

SMTP Authentication isn't bombproof and there are different ways of
doing it, so ISPs in the main don't bother.

The user on the road could run his or her own SMTP server, installed
on the laptop.

Oldie
Old March 22nd 05, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:14:31 +0000, Oldie
wrote:

The user on the road could run his or her own SMTP server, installed
on the laptop.

generally not a good idea. Dialup IP address ranges are blacklisted by
many and you need an SMTP server online for a good time to shift the
messages, handle the retries etc. Not really a "send and forget"
solution.

Phil

Old March 22nd 05, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:52:34 GMT, BRG wrote:

And why don't ISPs do this for free anyway? i.e. Q2 in my OP.

the "standards" for SMTP authorisation are AIUI numerous and variable
in their interpretation, especially if done securely. So the support
and admin burden of multiple mail clients in the hands of novices
would be one reason.

SMTP is prone to abuse by spammers, which is why you can't use them
from anywhere in the first place. An extension of this is that hacking
them or stealing passwords could be an issue where remote
authorisation was permitted.

Some ISPs provide the faciltiy for roaming users.

Phil