Strange ADSL problem

Old March 22nd 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Strange ADSL problem

Hi,

Ever since my adsl connection was upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb the
performance has been worse than dial up with frequent drops in
connection. Last night I was online and went to call the support about
it but while I was on the phone waiting for a response the speed shot
up to very close to the 2Mb speeds. When I hung up the speed dropped
again.

Any ideas why the performance is better when the phone line is in use?

I have my phone connected into one socket without a filter on it and
my router connected to another socket with a filter (supplied with my
netgear router) connected.

Thanks for your help
Old March 22nd 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Paul wrote on 22 Mar 2005 01:55:20 -0800:

I have my phone connected into one socket without a filter on it and
my router connected to another socket with a filter (supplied with my
netgear router) connected.

It's the phone that should have the filter on it, the router doesn't need
one.

Dan

Old March 22nd 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Ever since my adsl connection was upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb the
performance has been worse than dial up with frequent drops in
connection. Last night I was online and went to call the support about
it but while I was on the phone waiting for a response the speed shot
up to very close to the 2Mb speeds. When I hung up the speed dropped
again.

Any ideas why the performance is better when the phone line is in use?

I have my phone connected into one socket without a filter on it and
my router connected to another socket with a filter (supplied with my
netgear router) connected.

Thanks for your help

This isn`t strange if you are using a phone without a filter...all phones
need a filter,
the modem/router does not, unless it`s needed as a plug adapter.

Old March 22nd 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jon

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Ever since my adsl connection was upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb the
performance has been worse than dial up with frequent drops in
connection. Last night I was online and went to call the support about
it but while I was on the phone waiting for a response the speed shot
up to very close to the 2Mb speeds. When I hung up the speed dropped
again.

Any ideas why the performance is better when the phone line is in use?

I have my phone connected into one socket without a filter on it and
my router connected to another socket with a filter (supplied with my
netgear router) connected.

Thanks for your help

You *must* filter the phone connection. ....

This might explain all ....

( BTW - the router is not , and should not be, filtered
The "filter" supplied wth the Netgear is a "filter / splitter"
and the Router connection is un-filtered ....)

Old March 22nd 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

If your phones are on proper extensions from the master socket, then all of
them will need filters.

Any socket which has a phone, fax machine, analog modem, sky box or other
equipment must have a filter for the whole system to work correctly.

Plug the above equipment into the "phone" side of the filter. At the
location where you wish to have broadband, plug your modem / router into the
"DSL" side of the filter.

Regards

Zed

Old March 22nd 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Paul wrote:

Hi,

Ever since my adsl connection was upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb the
performance has been worse than dial up with frequent drops in
connection. Last night I was online and went to call the support about
it but while I was on the phone waiting for a response the speed shot
up to very close to the 2Mb speeds. When I hung up the speed dropped
again.

Any ideas why the performance is better when the phone line is in use?

I have my phone connected into one socket without a filter on it and
my router connected to another socket with a filter (supplied with my
netgear router) connected.

Thanks for your help

From other replies - and my own understanding - it is clear that the problem
is due to having an unfiltered phone.

But can anyone explain why the problem goes away when this unfiltered phone
is off-hook?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old March 23rd 05, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Splodge

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Ever since my adsl connection was upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb the
performance has been worse than dial up with frequent drops in
connection. Last night I was online and went to call the support about
it but while I was on the phone waiting for a response the speed shot
up to very close to the 2Mb speeds. When I hung up the speed dropped
again.

Any ideas why the performance is better when the phone line is in use?

I have my phone connected into one socket without a filter on it and
my router connected to another socket with a filter (supplied with my
netgear router) connected.

Thanks for your help

What is the ADSL performance like with all phones (eveything, including sky
boxes, answering machines, burglar alarms etc.) unplugged?
Have you tried it when only the ADSL modem is connected to the line? Does it
work OK then, or is it still slow?

Splodge

Old March 23rd 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within uk.telecom.broadband,
'Tiscali Tim' wrote:

But can anyone explain why the problem goes away when this unfiltered phone
is off-hook?

ADSL - realtively high frequency carriers.

High frequency - Circuit characteristics become black art.

Black art characteristics means the slightest change can make things much
better or much worse, with no apparent logic to it.

IOW the HF characteristics of the phone change when it is off hook, your
particular phone apparently ceases to absorb some of the critical
frequencies when in this state.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old March 23rd 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:54:19 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

But can anyone explain why the problem goes away when this unfiltered phone
is off-hook?

change of attenuation of frequencies or generation of less
interference ??

Also if there is a high resistance fault on the phone lines the extra
current drawn with a phone off the hook appears to "bridge the gap" in
some way - google for "wetting current"

Phil