Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

Old March 22nd 05, 07:46 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls
Keith

Default Completely replace software firewall with hardware firewall?

i've never bothered with a firewall, especially since windows brought out
sp2 with the security center with a builtin virewall, whats the point in
getting any more
"Sandi" wrote in message
Here in the UK, I am on NTL cable and have just one PC attached.

My head is spinning with all the configuration rules and exceptions
which need configuring for a software firewall.

I thought I was doing ok with user guides like the section called:
"Personal firewall configuration for cable modems"
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.../security.html

But it turns out that things are still more complicated than that.
As an example, I installed Outpost and came across this advice page.
http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...ead.php?t=9858
Oh wow. It's all too much! :-) I just want protection without
becoming an enthusiast or even expert in firewall configuration.

QUESTION ONE: If I buy a hardware firewall then will it completely
replace the need for me to have a software firewall? That would save
me some headaches!

QUESTION TWO: I might get a second PC and want to attach both PCs to
the cable network at the same time. I have heard I can do it with a
box which includes a hardware firewall as well as some other
functions. But exactly what sort of box is it that I would need?
Any suggestions about recommended hardware devices would be welcome.

Sandi

Old March 22nd 05, 08:09 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls
Paul Cooper

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:46:55 GMT, "Keith"
wrote:

i've never bothered with a firewall, especially since windows brought out
sp2 with the security center with a builtin virewall, whats the point in
getting any more
"Sandi" wrote in message

Well, for one thing the WIndows one doesn't check OUTGOING traffic,
whch may be more revealing than incoming traffic. If you've got
spyware, for example, an incoming firewall won't help you a bit.

Paul
Old March 23rd 05, 12:30 AM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls
Duane Arnold

"Keith" wrote in message
i've never bothered with a firewall, especially since windows brought out
sp2 with the security center with a builtin virewall, whats the point in
getting any more

With a compromised with malware XP machine and the malware is running with
the security context of Admin Rights and most users run with Admin rights,
the malware can take out a personal FW solution that is running on the
machine leaving it wide open to attack. The malware cannot take out a
standalone device like a NAT router or FW appliance that's not running on
the computer with the O/S.

Duane

Old March 25th 05, 11:23 AM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls
D. Brisbane Psychology ext 4621

Leythos ) wrote...

The NAT Device should be set to block outbound ports 135, 136, 137, 138,
139, 445, and even 1026/1027.

Would that be both TCP and UDP on these ports?