Help - Who is responsible for an ADSL Connection, BT or Virgin

Old March 22nd 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

Default Help - Who is responsible for an ADSL Connection, BT or Virgin

Hi again

just had my mate on the phone as he has just finished talking to BT. See my
earlier post for the full details

To summerise my earlier post, connected to ADSL via Virgin.(part of NTL I
believe) Cannot connect after about 6pm until next morning. Three other
broadband users in the same road have same problem.

Virgin say there is a line fault with BT and it is BTs responsibility to
resolve this but they do not appear to be pushing the issue with BT. Virgin
offer no feedback.

Now BT ADSL support (on 0845 2404850) say the line responsibility is that of
Virgin. BT say Virgin are responsible for repairing the line and Virgin are
not willing to pay for the repairs.

Now I am not sure that is the case. Yes Virgin buy wholesale from BT, but I
was under the impression that BT were still responsible for the
infrastructure. Or is it that NTL are involved and they are responsible for
the line.

Does any knowledgeable person out there know the truth. My matter is getting
batted from pillar to post, getting no answers and still paying for the
service. Furthermore he requested a MAC code from Virgin last Thursday, was
promised one in 24 hours and still nothing.

Furthermore, BT basically said the only way to get the line repaired was to
buy the ADSL connection from BT internet directly then they would fix it in
48 hours. Incidentally he gets his business ADSL from BT and that works fine

Any guidance on this one please

DeeBee

Old March 22nd 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

DeeBee wrote:
[...]

Virgin have to raise & then escalate the issue as they do lease the service
from BT. If Virgin are lacking in this matter then maybe it's time to cut &
run as many other ISPs appear to get it together & manage to get BT
engineers out to site..

The bit about going with BT 'internet' (ain't no such beast) take with a
pinch of salt as BT _has_ to treat (& has to be seen doing so) all ISP's
equally whether they be Virgin, BT Yahoo, AOL, Plusnet, BT Broadband, Pipex,
Zen etc etc etc. It's up to the ISP's to get their act together.

I repeat if Virgin claim that there is a line fault affecting your friends
ADSL it's up to Virgin to escalate the matter so it gets done in a timely
manner. One ISP, who shall remain nameless, took 14 months to finally get
an engineer to site only for the engineer to find the fault was the line was
out of limits (wasn't Virgin by the way).

Old March 23rd 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in news:42408d66$0$15988
:

BT _has_ to treat (& has to be seen doing so) all ISP's
equally

Which is why BT support can pick up the phone and call the BT engineers on
site on their mobiles and other ISPs have to wait for the engineer to come
back and file a report.
I've had that happen on more than one occassion when I've been out on site
waiting for a BT engineer to turn up when they have missed their arranged
timeslot.

--
Colin