Marginal line

Old March 23rd 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Marginal line

I have just had 512k ADSL installed. The router will only synch when
connected to the internal test socket of the BT master socket and it
then reports downstream attenuation 63.9 snr 7.5

I intend to fit a filtered faceplate on the master but then have a choice

a) run phone cable extension of 25 meters to where I would prefer to
have the router

b) position the router by the master socket and run CAT5 to the PC

Since it is working at the master socket will BT (via ISP) make any
attempt to improve the SNR

What do you think?

John

Old March 23rd 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:57:08 +0000, John wrote:

I have just had 512k ADSL installed. The router will only synch when
connected to the internal test socket of the BT master socket and it
then reports downstream attenuation 63.9 snr 7.5

sounds good, and a fairly typical result where the two add up to 70 dB
or so.

I intend to fit a filtered faceplate on the master but then have a choice

a) run phone cable extension of 25 meters to where I would prefer to
have the router
b) position the router by the master socket and run CAT5 to the PC

or wireless ? Either will work, use decent twisted pair (not flat)
extension cable for a) or indeed Cat5 (you could run a filtered and
unfiltered extension in the same Cat5).

Since it is working at the master socket will BT (via ISP) make any
attempt to improve the SNR

they will do the faceplate thing if you complain to the ISP its not
reliable. May mess about with other stuff too so worth a go even if
only for the free faceplate. NB request via ISP not direct to BT

Phil

Old March 23rd 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Phil Thompson wrote:
[...]

If you want Bt to tweak your internal wiring that's going to cost you......

You could try disconnecting all wires bar pins 2 & 5 (at the NTE5) it could
make the difference (each micro filter has a ring circuit built in) & you've
nothing to lose..

Old March 24th 05, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:20:51 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

If you want Bt to tweak your internal wiring that's going to cost you......

if they do the SSFP thing it isolates it in any case. How many of
these are been put in in practice - hardly any, a few, lots ??

Phil

Old March 24th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

I have just had 512k ADSL installed. The router will only synch when
connected to the internal test socket of the BT master socket and it
then reports downstream attenuation 63.9 snr 7.5

An SNR of 7.5 is very poor and is why you're having problems. There's no
guarantee that a filtered faceplate will fix it, but it's worth a try of
course.

It's always worth asking BT if they can do anything to improve the line, but
you won't necessarily get anything out of them.

Old March 24th 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

die.com wrote:

If you want Bt to tweak your internal wiring that's going to cost
you......

if they do the SSFP thing it isolates it in any case. How many of
these are been put in in practice - hardly any, a few, lots ??

More than what the management wanted & less than what the field staff want
to....

Old March 25th 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

robert w hall wrote:

In article , Chris
Jones writes

I have just had 512k ADSL installed. The router will only synch when
connected to the internal test socket of the BT master socket and it
then reports downstream attenuation 63.9 snr 7.5

An SNR of 7.5 is very poor and is why you're having problems. There's no
guarantee that a filtered faceplate will fix it, but it's worth a try of
course.

Doesn't it depend whether it's SNR or SNR margin???

It's always worth asking BT if they can do anything to improve the line, but
you won't necessarily get anything out of them.

What about trying Phil's suggested 256kbps Zen service?? That should be
3db or so better??

I'm guessing it should be fine at 63.9/7.5dB - I've been 65/6.5 for 18
months with 100% service. Have you considered trying a different brand
of router?
Old March 25th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Chris
Jones writes

--
robert w hall
Old March 25th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

johnydeath wrote:
robert w hall wrote:

In article , Chris
Jones writes

I have just had 512k ADSL installed. The router will only synch when
connected to the internal test socket of the BT master socket and it
then reports downstream attenuation 63.9 snr 7.5

An SNR of 7.5 is very poor and is why you're having problems. There's no
guarantee that a filtered faceplate will fix it, but it's worth a try of
course.

Doesn't it depend whether it's SNR or SNR margin???

It's always worth asking BT if they can do anything to improve the
line, but
you won't necessarily get anything out of them.

What about trying Phil's suggested 256kbps Zen service?? That should be
3db or so better??

I'm guessing it should be fine at 63.9/7.5dB - I've been 65/6.5 for 18
months with 100% service. Have you considered trying a different brand
of router?

I tried three different brands of (admittedly cheap) routers and the
above figures are from the only one which would stay synched for more
than a few seconds. The connection appears solid enough at the moment
but we will need to see what happens with bit of rain and wind around.

I have a Clarity filtered faceplate on order to tidy up the wiring at
the BT master which currently has the removable bit unplugged and a
filter into the test socket and router into the filter and 10 metre CAT
5 to the PC.

JP
Old March 25th 05, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

John wrote:

johnydeath wrote:

robert w hall wrote:

In article , Chris
Jones writes

[...]

I'm using an olde D-Link 4port DSL-504 that I used at my old pad 2.5 yrs
ago. I was exceptionally far from the exchange then: -68dB & 3.5dB s/n,
worked great all summer and winter days, fell over between dusk and
dawn. I've just picked up a 2nd hand one off theifbay for my out-laws
for 15 as I know it is a reasonable one.

I'll keep fingers Xed for you.