SMC router wide open

Old March 23rd 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

Default SMC router wide open

Hi,

I have an issue with a SMC router whereby the user has set it up from
the wizard on the CD, because we could not get into it using any
password found on the net using its default config. I now come home,
read an email he sent me, looked at his IP and find to my horror that
the system is open for remote admin on port 80!!!!!

I have tried from home to login using every conceivable username, all
to no avail. I am not happy with this situation, but unfortunately
the user is blind and so cannot read the model. It is a fairly recent
model, but as I said it is accessible on port 80 and 23.

Any ideas for the password? If I can get in and disable remote admin
I will be a happy bunny.

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old March 23rd 05, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Andrew Hodgson wrote:
Hi,

I have an issue with a SMC router whereby the user has set it up from
the wizard on the CD, because we could not get into it using any
password found on the net using its default config. I now come home,
read an email he sent me, looked at his IP and find to my horror that
the system is open for remote admin on port 80!!!!!

I have tried from home to login using every conceivable username, all
to no avail. I am not happy with this situation, but unfortunately
the user is blind and so cannot read the model. It is a fairly recent
model, but as I said it is accessible on port 80 and 23.

Any ideas for the password? If I can get in and disable remote admin
I will be a happy bunny.

Thanks.
Andrew.

admin & password seem to be the favourite ones, if not you could always try
admin admin...

Old March 23rd 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:22:01 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

Andrew Hodgson wrote:
[...]

Tried that, and the manual didn't give these - only refering to the
quick setup wizard.

Old March 23rd 05, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ace Internet

Hi Andrew

Try:

Username: smcadmin
Password: password

If these don't work, hold in the reset switch in the back on the
unit for 10 seconds, then try using:

Username: smcadmin
Password: password

This will reset the password for most SMC routers. If you post
the exact model number, we may be able to help you further.

Regards

Steve

Visit our online IT store! Trade prices direct to the public!
http://customers.aceinternet.co.uk/buy/hardware
Get a FREE 0870 number for your home, business or Fax2Email
service
http://customers.aceinternet.co.uk/telco/
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e:

Old March 24th 05, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:07:38 +0000, Andrew Hodgson
wrote:

Any ideas for the password? If I can get in and disable remote admin
I will be a happy bunny.

The default on my smc router was smcadmin for both.