Belkin router problems - model F5D7630

Old March 24th 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monkfish PI

Default Belkin router problems - model F5D7630

Hi,

I've just recently got a Belkin Modem 4 port Router with built in firewall
and I'm stuck with the following problem.

One of the PC's linked to the router has problems browsing certain webpages
when the router's firewall is turned on. For example the Internet movie
database imdb.com loads but some of the pictures associated with the links
doesn't load. Or websites such as the Windows update site won't load. But if
you turn the router's firewall off they then work.

I first thought the router was at fault, but every other machine or laptop
plugged into it works so it has to be a software problem with this one
machine. I've even tried copying the settings from another machine but it
makes no difference. I've tried various MTU and RWIN settings.

I've googled and tried some recommendations but nothing so far has worked.

Before I reload the whole machine as a last resort. Has anybody has the
above fault, not just with belkin routers.

Many thanks

Old March 24th 05, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

[snip]

So lets call the computers A, B, C and the ports 1, 2, 3. You're saying
that with A/1, B/2, C/3, PCs A and B work fine but C does not. And with
A/2, B/3, C/1 still computer C does not work but the others do. Is this
correct?

If so then you've proved that there's nothing wrong with the Router and that
the problem is computer C. Do you have some firewall or similar active on C
that is clashing with the router settings? For example is your "zone" set
to Internet and not Trusted or similar.

Put simply, it sounds like there really _IS_ a difference between computer C
and the others. Problem is going to be finding it!

Good luck,
Paul DS.

Old March 24th 05, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Silk

Monkfish PI wrote:
Hi,

I've just recently got a Belkin Modem 4 port Router with built in firewall
and I'm stuck with the following problem.

One of the PC's linked to the router has problems browsing certain webpages
when the router's firewall is turned on. For example the Internet movie
database imdb.com loads but some of the pictures associated with the links
doesn't load. Or websites such as the Windows update site won't load. But if
you turn the router's firewall off they then work.

It may be an idea to call their support line. I found them to be very
helpful when I had a problem.
Old March 24th 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anon

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
et...
[snip]

So lets call the computers A, B, C and the ports 1, 2, 3. You're saying
that with A/1, B/2, C/3, PCs A and B work fine but C does not. And with
A/2, B/3, C/1 still computer C does not work but the others do. Is this
correct?

If so then you've proved that there's nothing wrong with the Router and
that
the problem is computer C. Do you have some firewall or similar active on
that is clashing with the router settings? For example is your "zone" set
to Internet and not Trusted or similar.

Put simply, it sounds like there really _IS_ a difference between computer
and the others. Problem is going to be finding it!

Good luck,
Paul DS.

Yeah, Computer C doesn't work in any port. Also, it doesn't matter whether
you use a different browser, for example Opera still has problems. Now
computer C has 2 harddrives with windows on both, when you boot onto the
other drive explorer works fine, so it's not a hardware issue either.

As suggested I might phone the helpdesk, but as the router works I didn't
think they would be interested as the fault lies with my software?

Old March 24th 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monkfish PI

"Silk" wrote in message
Monkfish PI wrote:
Hi,

I've just recently got a Belkin Modem 4 port Router with built in
firewall
and I'm stuck with the following problem.

One of the PC's linked to the router has problems browsing certain
webpages
when the router's firewall is turned on. For example the Internet movie
database imdb.com loads but some of the pictures associated with the
links
doesn't load. Or websites such as the Windows update site won't load. But
if
you turn the router's firewall off they then work.

It may be an idea to call their support line. I found them to be very
helpful when I had a problem.

As the router is ok, will they support OS problems?

Old March 24th 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , anon
says...

Yeah, Computer C doesn't work in any port. Also, it doesn't matter whether
you use a different browser, for example Opera still has problems. Now
computer C has 2 harddrives with windows on both, when you boot onto the
other drive explorer works fine, so it's not a hardware issue either.

Had this problem when I was tinkering with the network max connection
settings on Firefox. Basically if I set the max simultaneous
connections to more than 4 and the firewall was turned on, the firewall
assumed a DoS attack and made it act like yours.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Old March 24th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monkfish PI

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..
In article , anon
says...

Yeah, Computer C doesn't work in any port. Also, it doesn't matter
whether
you use a different browser, for example Opera still has problems. Now
computer C has 2 harddrives with windows on both, when you boot onto the
other drive explorer works fine, so it's not a hardware issue either.

Had this problem when I was tinkering with the network max connection
settings on Firefox. Basically if I set the max simultaneous
connections to more than 4 and the firewall was turned on, the firewall
assumed a DoS attack and made it act like yours.

I owe you a massive drink dude!!!

I see it all now, the router log was showing loads of syn flood's. I used xp
antispy ages ago to change some settings which obviously didn't affect my
modem but as you say my new router saw all those extra connections as a DOS
attack.

Now just to undo all the changes I've made trying to fix this, oh and the
dents!!! ;-)

cheers mate

daz