McAfee loses cable modem

Old March 24th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Boredathome

Default McAfee loses cable modem

Greetings

A friend is having strange interactions between McAfee Virusscan and his
cable modem and I wonder if anyone can offer pointers. This is a computer
running XP Home and a Blueyonder acount and Blueyonder supplied cable modem.

He had been running Virusscan vs 7, and all was working well, and his cable
modem worked fine. Then we removed virusscan and installed vs 8, and all of
a sudden his internet conenction was gone. Through his ISP helpline we used
ipconfig and discovered the IP address for the modem had changed. We used
system restore to go back, and hey presto he was back on line - but although
the virusscan files were still there, the programme wasn't working. We
uninstalled, and that worked - but the connection had gone again. So rolled
back again, and there we were with unworking vs 7 but a working internet
conection.

Both versions are definitely virusscan only - NOT the firewall.

No other changes were being made through this process, but since then I've
found and removed tons of spyware etc form the computer.

Anyone any ideas why the above should have happened?

Cheers

Old March 24th 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Silk

Boredathome wrote:
This is a computer
running XP Home and a Blueyonder acount and Blueyonder supplied cable modem.

Cancel Blueyonder. It may not cure the Virus scan problem, but at least
you'll be well rid of a crap ISP.
Old March 24th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Silk wrote in :

Cancel Blueyonder. It may not cure the Virus scan problem, but at least
you'll be well rid of a crap ISP.

What a wonderfully pointless reply that doesn't answer the query

To the original poster - what did the IP address change to? If it was
169.254.x.x then chances are that McAfee Virus Scan is installing some
drivers for filtering which are breaking the tcp/ip stack.

You should ideally contact McAfee to find a solution however my course of
action would be to completely uninstall all versions of McAfee. If you are
left without the Internet working at this stage, check that no extra
protocols or anything are installed with the driver.

There are a few commands you can run such as "netsh int ip reset c:
\resetlog.txt" or you can use a program such as XP TCP/IP Repair 1.0:

Of particular interest with that application are the LSP repair functions.
This is what McAfee will have likely installed and could be what is causing
your problem.

--
Colin
Old March 24th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Boredathome

THANK YOU! I was about to reply to "silk" in the same mode that you did. The
words "vacuous" and "timewaster" came to mind.

But I will follow up your actually HELPFUL response and see where it goes.

Thanks

Old March 24th 05, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:54:37 -0000, "Boredathome"
wrote:

(after installing viruscan)

a sudden his internet conenction was gone. Through his ISP helpline we used
ipconfig and discovered the IP address for the modem had changed.

Its commonplace for IPs to change when hardware is rebooted. This
isn't generally a problem. You may however need to power the modem
down so that the ISP's dhcp server releases your old lease. Generally
its conbsidered sensible to power down the PC and modem for 30 secs,
then power up the modem, wait for 30 secs, and then power up the PC.

We used
system restore to go back, and hey presto he was back on line - but although
the virusscan files were still there, the programme wasn't working.

Its probably in an interim installation state, neither installed nor
removed. You may need to manually remove all services, components etc
associated with VS.

(Personally I'd junk it and use AVG - I found VScan was too much pain
to manage after V5.x, heck they even crippled the autoupdater).

Old March 25th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Boredathome

Thanks, will test that as well

Old March 25th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:20:59 +0000, Silk wrote:

Boredathome wrote:
This is a computer
running XP Home and a Blueyonder acount and Blueyonder supplied cable modem.

Cancel Blueyonder. It may not cure the Virus scan problem, but at least
you'll be well rid of a crap ISP.

Hi Steve, hope you're well.

Happy Easter.

Alex

--
Alex Brown
blueyonder Product Manager
Old March 26th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Silk

Alex Brown wrote:

Hi Steve, hope you're well.

As much as I wish you the same.