Recent annoucement on rural bband

Old March 24th 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Appleton

Default Recent annoucement on rural bband

I have heard rumours that there's been an announcement on bband for the
remaining rural areas that haven't got it (i.e. me).

Can't find anything on Google. Anyone got a link?

(Been waiting patiently for five months a company who have been offered
14,000 of gov money to complete our wireless/sat connection, but as they
only turn up about one day a fortnight I'm not holding my breath!)

YO25 9D East Yorkshire

Old March 24th 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Trevor Appleton wrote:

I have heard rumours that there's been an announcement on bband for the
remaining rural areas that haven't got it (i.e. me).

Can't find anything on Google. Anyone got a link?

(Been waiting patiently for five months a company who have been offered
14,000 of gov money to complete our wireless/sat connection, but as they
only turn up about one day a fortnight I'm not holding my breath!)

YO25 9D East Yorkshire

You have probably been hearing about the Scottish scheme, see
http://www.hie.co.uk/broadband/ssi.html
No real announcement yet.

Bill

Old March 25th 05, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:28:14 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

I have heard rumours that there's been an announcement on bband for the
remaining rural areas that haven't got it (i.e. me).

Can't find anything on Google. Anyone got a link?

is that the Yorkshire Forward thing.....

http://www.yorkshire-forward.com/view.asp?id=3305

you on an "unviable" exchange ?

Phil

Old March 25th 05, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

wrote:

I have heard rumours that there's been an announcement on bband for the
remaining rural areas that haven't got it (i.e. me).

Can't find anything on Google. Anyone got a link?

is that the Yorkshire Forward thing.....

http://www.yorkshire-forward.com/view.asp?id=3305

you on an "unviable" exchange ?

The problem isn't only unviable exchanges, it's the fact that in the
Yorkshire Dales (and many other sparsely-populated places in the UK) a lot
of people are too far from the exchange to get any form of ADSL service once
the exchange has been upgraded. My parents have a cottage in the Dales and
they have enough problem getting a decent telephone service from BT - every
other month the whole village loses its phone service and BT are
unable/unwilling to sort the problem out once and for all. So the chances of
getting broadband are pretty well zero.

At one time there were all sorts of wireless schemes for sparsely-populated
areas, but I've not heard much about these recently, since BT announced last
year that it was scrapping the concept of trigger levels for the majority of
its exchanges.

Old March 25th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Appleton

wrote:

I have heard rumours that there's been an announcement on bband for the
remaining rural areas that haven't got it (i.e. me).

Can't find anything on Google. Anyone got a link?

is that the Yorkshire Forward thing.....

http://www.yorkshire-forward.com/view.asp?id=3305

you on an "unviable" exchange ?

Phil

Yes thats the one - thanks. Not much over 100 on our exchange.

Still sounds like a long impatient wait, but we're getting there.

Old March 25th 05, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Martin Underwood wrote:

The problem isn't only unviable exchanges, it's the fact that in the
Yorkshire Dales (and many other sparsely-populated places in the UK) a lot
of people are too far from the exchange to get any form of ADSL service once
the exchange has been upgraded. My parents have a cottage in the Dales and
they have enough problem getting a decent telephone service from BT - every
other month the whole village loses its phone service and BT are
unable/unwilling to sort the problem out once and for all. So the chances of
getting broadband are pretty well zero.

At one time there were all sorts of wireless schemes for sparsely-populated
areas, but I've not heard much about these recently, since BT announced last
year that it was scrapping the concept of trigger levels for the majority of
its exchanges.

The Scottish one is explicitly not ADSL, but technology neutral. It
also purports to be delivering "broadband" to all "communities" (= 50
addresses), not simply ADSl to exchanges.
However as it was announced by a politician, who knows.... ;-)

Bill

Old March 25th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:57:35 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

My parents have a cottage in the Dales and
they have enough problem getting a decent telephone service from BT - every
other month the whole village loses its phone service and BT are
unable/unwilling to sort the problem out once and for all. So the chances of
getting broadband are pretty well zero.

not necessarily, the RF of ADSL can go places where voice struggles -
people sometimes find broadband working but no dial tone.

Some areas like the Dales (eg Lakes) actually benefit from having
small village exchanges which provisding they get enabled often have
smaller radius of subscribers than bigger ones in more populated
countryside.

Phil