Money saving broadband?

Old March 25th 05, 07:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnoWhoo

Default Money saving broadband?

Hi all
Some interesting stuff in this NG. Not on BB yet, but looking for lots of
advice and best deals.
Whilst looking around I found this, so I thought I'd post it in case it's of
interest to other NG users?
Regards
Uno
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...92034925,22928,

Old March 25th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:09:56 -0000, "UnoWhoo" wrote:

Whilst looking around I found this, so I thought I'd post it in case it's of
interest to other NG users?

if you like leading people into traps, yes. EFH ? Tiscali ? just say
no.

Metronet & Demon mentioned in the link are worth reviewing.

Phil

Old March 25th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnoWhoo

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the steer, done in good faith though.
Would you mind expanding on your comment ---- "leading people into traps"
please? I'm new and appreciate good advice.
Thanks
Uno

Old March 25th 05, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:30:29 -0000, "UnoWhoo" wrote:

Would you mind expanding on your comment ---- "leading people into traps"
please?

one needs to be careful of lending credibility to something or
implying a recommendation of a service that isn't very good - Tiscali
broadband has been poor for many users and they then find they can't
migrate out easily or are in a 12 month contract - hence the "trap".

Better to point out sites that objectively compare all ISPs not
choosing to highlight a handful. Just my opinion.

Phil

Old March 25th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"UnoWhoo" wrote in message
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the steer, done in good faith though.
Would you mind expanding on your comment ---- "leading people into

traps"
please? I'm new and appreciate good advice.

Have a look at this site, if you haven't already,
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Old March 25th 05, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

Default EFH trap????What do you mean?

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:09:56 -0000, "UnoWhoo" wrote:

Whilst looking around I found this, so I thought I'd post it in case it's
of
interest to other NG users?

if you like leading people into traps, yes. EFH ? Tiscali ? just say
no.

Metronet & Demon mentioned in the link are worth reviewing.

Phil

Phill

Curious to know what the trap is with EFH?

I agree about Tiscali, but my parents are with EFH and I can highly
recommend them. In fact their support is about the best I have ever
experienced. Yes their setup costs are higher, but this is clearly pointed
out on their site nad also they do good deals on modems (ethernet, not the
crappy unsecure USB ones)

DeeBee

Old March 25th 05, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:27:30 GMT, "DeeBee"
wrote:

In fact their support is about the best I have ever
experienced.

Doesn't mean that there isn't better out there g.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old March 25th 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Curious to know what the trap is with EFH?

Datastream - can't migrate away (cease & reprovide), potential local
congestion issues, some folks told their exchange was full when it was
just a lack of capacity from Tiscali who supply EFH etc.

Not a problem everywhere or to everybody, but some gotchas that you
need not have.

Might be out of date - I have a long memory.

Phil

Old March 25th 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

wrote:

Curious to know what the trap is with EFH?

Datastream - can't migrate away (cease & reprovide), potential local
congestion issues, some folks told their exchange was full when it was
just a lack of capacity from Tiscali who supply EFH etc.

Not a problem everywhere or to everybody, but some gotchas that you
need not have.

Might be out of date - I have a long memory.

Phil

Funny - the EFH website quotes on their migratiion page:

All migrated accounts must be on IPStream and will remain on IPStream
after migration. If you are unsure what this means, please ask your
current provider. Unfortunately we cannot currently accept migrations
from DataStream users.
Old March 25th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:04:27 +0000, johnydeath
wrote:

Funny - the EFH website quotes on their migratiion page:

All migrated accounts must be on IPStream and will remain on IPStream
after migration. If you are unsure what this means, please ask your
current provider. Unfortunately we cannot currently accept migrations
from DataStream users.

entirely consistent, that is INWARD migrations. All new accounts are
put on Datastream and then can't migrate outwards. They said so on
their forum, also the person who started this thread was one who in
November couldn't get their parents connected up due to an EFH
datastream delay.

There are no datastream migrations, yet.

Phil