Linksys WAG54G gateway - any opinions..?

Old March 25th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Default Linksys WAG54G gateway - any opinions..?

I have been looking at this device to replace my existing separate
modem/router/switch combination and possibly adding a wireless point as
well.

Does anyone have any opinions on it..?

Ivor

Old March 25th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Boredathome

Works fine for me - no complaints at all

Old March 25th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Have a look at the following forum before you make your mind up!

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...viewforum&f=20

Old March 25th 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
"Ivor Jones" wrote:

I have been looking at this device to replace my existing separate
modem/router/switch combination and possibly adding a wireless point as
well.

Does anyone have any opinions on it..?

Ivor

I have one. Generally I've been happy with it, however there have been a
*lot* of complaints about it dropping out and losing connections to LAN
machines etc. I had some of these problems with mine over a period of
time and after reading a thread where standing it on its side was
suggested (possible heat issue) it seems to be behaving itself.

Also the statistics/reporting facilities are minimal.

What I'm not sure of is what is available for similar money that would
be any better, seems most of these things have their own unique bugs and
problems.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net
Old March 25th 05, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Paul Hutchings wrote:
In article ,
"Ivor Jones" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. I looked at that forum link but it wanted to set too
many cookies for me so I didn't really get into it.

I don't really *need* a wireless point but it seems impossible these days
to find something without one..!

Ivor

Old March 26th 05, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Boredathome wrote:
Works fine for me - no complaints at all

Mine rebooted every 90 minutes, so I booted it out....

Old March 26th 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

I have been looking at this device to replace my existing separate
modem/router/switch combination and possibly adding a wireless point as
well.

Does anyone have any opinions on it..?

Ivor

Don't buy one. They are c**p

Wireless doesn't work. Range is abot 5 feet. Goes from a signal giving 54mbs
to 1mbs in under 30 mins.

Go for a Netgear DG834

Old March 26th 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Ivor Jones wrote:
I have been looking at this device to replace my existing separate
modem/router/switch combination and possibly adding a wireless point
as well.

Does anyone have any opinions on it..?

Ivor

mine worked straight out of the box and no problems since. Its left
switched on 24/7.

Old March 26th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JS

Had mine for about 6 months no real problems apart for Lan dropout as
already mentioned, trying the box on its' side. Wireless works fine all over
the house and even outside.

Old March 26th 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Road_HogŪ

"Edward" wrote in message
Ivor Jones wrote:
I have been looking at this device to replace my existing separate
modem/router/switch combination and possibly adding a wireless point
as well.

Does anyone have any opinions on it..?

Ivor

mine worked straight out of the box and no problems since. Its left
switched on 24/7.

Same here, had it almost a year and it's on 24/7. Use it with a Linksys
wireless card on my laptop and the wife on hers downstairs. Picks up the
neighbours unsecured network as well (if I ever get fed up of paying for
broadband).

It locks up about once every two months, nothing that a quick push of the
reset button doesn't cure.