Weird results with BT broadband checker

Old March 26th 05, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Weird results with BT broadband checker

Can anyone tell me why when I put in my number into the BT broadband checker
it says upto 1Mbit, and I may require a visit from an engineer, but if I try
the phone numbers for other people who share the same telephone pole iwht my
property, the result is upto 2Mbit? How strange is this? Their phone line
is the same length as mine, some are even longer, as I am closest to the
pole! Whats the crack here then? Incidently I already have a very
reliable 1Mbit connection, but just thinking toward the future when 2Mbit or
more could be the 'norm'....

John

Old March 26th 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"John" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me why when I put in my number into the BT broadband
checker it says upto 1Mbit, and I may require a visit from an engineer,
but if I try the phone numbers for other people who share the same
telephone pole iwht my property, the result is upto 2Mbit? How strange is
this? Their phone line is the same length as mine, some are even longer,
as I am closest to the pole! Whats the crack here then? Incidently I
already have a very reliable 1Mbit connection, but just thinking toward
the future when 2Mbit or more could be the 'norm'....

It could be that as you have ADSL, the checker result for your line is based
on an actual line test/stats/

However, the other lines may not have ADSL so the checker is guessing in
those cases.

Does your modem/router provide any line stats?

Even if you can't get 2MB now - BT are expected to relax the line test in
future, so you may be able to get it later.

Regards
Sunil

Old March 26th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:02:29 -0000, "John"
wrote:

How strange is this?

its a line guesser. You might be on a different thickness or age of
cable somewhere back up the line, or it may just be an error. When
they start doing downstream rate adaption it won't matter anyway.

Phil

Old March 26th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

wrote:

How strange is this?

its a line guesser. You might be on a different thickness or age of
cable somewhere back up the line, or it may just be an error. When
they start doing downstream rate adaption it won't matter anyway.

Will downstream rate adaption allow lines that currently cannot get
broadband (probably because of distance from exchange) to get some sort of
service?

I've just checked my parents' cottage in Yorkshire and the current status
is:

"Your exchange has broadband.

However, despite an engineer's visit to your premises it has been proved
not possible for your telephone line to support broadband service. Please
accept our apologies. We are continuing to look for alternative
technology solutions and this site will be updated with developments as
they happen."

which sounds fairly final and irrevocable.

I can't say that I'm unduly surprised: BT have enough of a job providing a
decent 24x7x365 phone service to the village: every month or so all the
phones in the village go dead (no dialling tone, and ringing tone for
incoming calls) and BT keep "fixing" it but the fault keeps coming back.

Old March 26th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
Will downstream rate adaption allow lines that currently cannot get
broadband (probably because of distance from exchange) to get some sort of
service?

No.

At the moment, downstream rate adaption is only planned for speeds above
2MB.

I've just checked my parents' cottage in Yorkshire and the current status
is:

"Your exchange has broadband.

However, despite an engineer's visit to your premises it has been proved
not possible for your telephone line to support broadband service. Please
accept our apologies. We are continuing to look for alternative
technology solutions and this site will be updated with developments as
they happen."

which sounds fairly final and irrevocable.

Have you tried applying for Zen's 250K service? It sometimes works where
512K services fail too...

Regards
Sunil

Old March 26th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

I might suggest that they apply for something like this. It would be useful
to know what precisely BT mean by "proved not possible": is it merely
house-to-exchange length or is there something more sinister. If it's some
form of multiplexing on the line to serve the whole village from very few
wires, then I imagine everyone there is totally buggered! I believe BT did
say a few years ago when several new houses were proposed, that they
wouldn't be able to give the houses telephone lines, which does rather
suggest some form of multiplexing which was running at capacity.

Old March 26th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:09:17 -0000, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

Will downstream rate adaption allow lines that currently cannot get
broadband (probably because of distance from exchange) to get some sort of
service?

only if they were to let it adapt all the way down to 64k would it
extend the range significantly. The 256k service is a halfway house,
only Zen retail this AFAIK.

Phil

Old March 26th 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AAR

I had a very similar problem until recently, i.e: 512 Kb/s for my line, 2Mb/s
for ALL my neighbours lines according to the BT broadband line checker. I
reported it as a line fault and the BT engineer finally tracked it down to a
defective faceplate splitter on the BT box in my house. After fitting a new
splitter, my speed immediately increased to 1 Mb/s then gradually to 2Mb/s
over the next day or two. I don't know why it didn't jump to 2Mb/s
immediately.

AAR

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:02:29 +0000, John wrote
(in message ):

Old March 26th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trix

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Sunil!

The only other reason I can think that the speed is questioned on my line,
is that the line has been installed since 1977 and has never had any
replacement cable to the house from the telephone pole since it was
installed in '77. The telephone pole was installed specifically for our
phone installation in 1977 and all the others around here have been added to
the pole since. There are now more than 16 users connected to this pole. I
am faily sure that everyone on this telephone pole go down the same cable
that has been installed since 1977.

Yes the details are below according to a Netgear DG834G MkII.

--------------------- DOWNSTREAM ----- UPSTREAM ------
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288kbps
Line Attenuation 48dB 25.5dB
Noise Margin 8dB 28dB

What do you make of these? The 1Mbit service is 100 percent reliable

John

Old March 26th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Trix" wrote in message
The only other reason I can think that the speed is questioned on my line,
is that the line has been installed since 1977 and has never had any
replacement cable to the house from the telephone pole since it was
installed in '77. The telephone pole was installed specifically for our
phone installation in 1977 and all the others around here have been added
to the pole since. There are now more than 16 users connected to this
pole. I am faily sure that everyone on this telephone pole go down the
same cable that has been installed since 1977.

Yes the details are below according to a Netgear DG834G MkII.

--------------------- DOWNSTREAM ----- UPSTREAM ------
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288kbps
Line Attenuation 48dB 25.5dB
Noise Margin 8dB 28dB

What do you make of these? The 1Mbit service is 100 percent reliable

Is that with the DG834G plugged into the master socket?

The line attenuation isn't that bad, though 48dB is more than BT Wholesale's
current 2MB limit.

However, your noise margin is very low. Which means that your line is
unlikely to support 2MB. In fact, any lower than 8dB and you would probably
be having problems with the 1MB service as well,

If the reading is not from your master socket, you may want try that and see
what the DG834G says from there (or from the BT test socket) - as the SNR
reading may improve.

Better filters may help as well (depending on what type you use)

Regards
Sunil