Laptop-only Wireless Network ?

Old March 27th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monty L

Default Laptop-only Wireless Network ?

At the moment I have a desktop with broadband access via cable. I would like
to get rid of the desktop, replace it with a laptop and use wireless to
connect to the Internet from anywhere in the house. Is this possible and if
so what kit do I need? Any recommendations?

Old March 27th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:35:58 +0100, Monty L
wrote:

At the moment I have a desktop with broadband access via cable. I would
like
to get rid of the desktop, replace it with a laptop and use wireless to
connect to the Internet from anywhere in the house. Is this possible
and if
so what kit do I need? Any recommendations?

This is possible, you'd just need a Wireless router, and a wireless card
for your laptop if it doesn't already have wireless capability.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with wireless on cable so can't make any
specific recommendations on wireless equipment.

Old March 27th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
I.P.Freely

"Monty L" wrote in message
At the moment I have a desktop with broadband access via cable. I would
like to get rid of the desktop, replace it with a laptop and use wireless
to connect to the Internet from anywhere in the house. Is this possible
and if so what kit do I need? Any recommendations?

Hi there, we have a wireless network.

Do you have ADSL (ie: BT Yahoo broadband? Plusnet?) or NTL/Telewest cable?

You either need a wireless router supporting cable-modems, such as the one
we use LinkSys WRT54G

There are firmware upgrades available on linksys (cisco's) website, and
overall the router is fantastic, it has a plethera of functions and I
strongly recommend it!

If you however have ADSL then you need a similiar piece of kit. Let me know
first what kind of broadband you have, then i can advise you more!

A 'wireless router' allows you to connect pc's and your internet connection
through a cable to it, and/or allow a certain number of
laptops/wireless-pc-cards to access it wirelessly.

There are 2 older wireless technologies, 'a' 'b' and 'c'.

'a' is old, leave it. B has speeds of up to 11mbps (still quite slow),
whereas wireless 'G' is up to 54mbps, and actually up to 100mbps in some
cases!

What wireless card do you have in your laptop? Wireless B or G? (i'm sure it
wont be A!).

If it's B, i would still get a wireless G wireless router! As they're
compatible, and means if you get another newer laptop with wireless G, then
it'll work with that one too...

Shend ush a reply

Old March 27th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
I.P.Freely

"I.P.Freely" wrote in message
"Monty L" wrote in message
[...]

If i'd read the post i'd have noticed it's via cable.

WRT54g for you're router, which support 'b' and 'g' wireless, and is
super-nifty. It's under 50 I think at the moment... any probs, gee us a
shout!

Old March 27th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dan

I'm also not familiar with routers for cable but I'm guessing he needs a
cable modem with an ethernet interface to use with the wireless router. My
grandad is connected via cable but NTL supplied him with a USB cable modem
which I'm assuming will not work with the router?

Dan

Old March 28th 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
I.P.Freely

"dan" wrote in message
I'm also not familiar with routers for cable but I'm guessing he needs a
cable modem with an ethernet interface to use with the wireless router. My
grandad is connected via cable but NTL supplied him with a USB cable modem
which I'm assuming will not work with the router?

Doubt it, any modem they've supplied has ethernet AND USB connectivity.

You just connect the modem via ethernet to the router. To configure the
router intially the original poster *will* have to connect the laptop to the
router with a cable, cables are usually supplied with the router (linksys
ones), dunno about other brands.

It's easy peasy.

I'd suggest configuring wireless security, but i will go through that with
the poster later if they do buy the equipment.

Old March 28th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monty L

"I.P.Freely" wrote in message

Do you have ADSL (ie: BT Yahoo broadband? Plusnet?) or NTL/Telewest cable?
You either need a wireless router supporting cable-modems, such as the one
we use LinkSys WRT54G

Thanks for the information.
It's Telewest cable. I haven't bought the laptop as yet. I want to get rid
of my desktop completely and just have the laptop, so it will only be a one
machine network. Will I be able to do this with the LinkSys wireless
router?

Old March 28th 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GM

"Monty L" wrote in message
"I.P.Freely" wrote in message

Do you have ADSL (ie: BT Yahoo broadband? Plusnet?) or NTL/Telewest
cable?
You either need a wireless router supporting cable-modems, such as the
one we use LinkSys WRT54G

Thanks for the information.
It's Telewest cable. I haven't bought the laptop as yet. I want to get
rid of my desktop completely and just have the laptop, so it will only be
a one machine network. Will I be able to do this with the LinkSys
wireless router?

Yeah, no bother at all with that setup of couse.

http://www.blueunplugged.com/product....asp?ptnrSrc=1

Is the cheapest I could find including delivery charges, they state they're
out of stock. I only recommend that as I have one, and that's the only real
way of analysing something fairly in my opinion. Also as it sounds like
you're after it for just basic use, you can buy one or more laptops and
connect to it fine.

It's also convienant that you can shove it beside your cable point and just
basically leave it there hidden in a corner and connect from accross the
house, and likely from other houses too. Which is useful if you wanna sit in
the garden on a summer's day (not likely in Scotland here, but anyways...)
but also means you'll have to set up security.

It's important purely as people can nick your broadband connection - it's
not very likely in a suburban area unless there's some kid messing about,
but you can use the wireless MAC filter to only accept connections from your
laptop's card's MAC address, and you can also shove a big hex password on it
which can be viewed from the manual.

In terms of laptops, I bought an acer 291-LCi. It was 780 and is a centrino
laptop, they're discontinued as you can get centrino laptops such as it with
more up to date wireless basically.

But unless you sweat money try not be tempted by a sony vaio centrino laptop
at 2000, there are better deals out there.

Old March 28th 05, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

GM wrote:

[]
It's also convienant that you can shove it beside your cable point and just
basically leave it there hidden in a corner and connect from accross the
house, and likely from other houses too.

Based on the fact I can walk to the next street and still access my
wireless broadband set-up, I estimate around 20 different households
could access it if they wanted to. No one has yet though!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old March 28th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Monty L" wrote in message
"I.P.Freely" wrote in message

Do you have ADSL (ie: BT Yahoo broadband? Plusnet?) or NTL/Telewest

cable?
You either need a wireless router supporting cable-modems, such as the

one
we use LinkSys WRT54G

Thanks for the information.
It's Telewest cable. I haven't bought the laptop as yet. I want to get

rid
of my desktop completely and just have the laptop, so it will only be a

one
machine network. Will I be able to do this with the LinkSys wireless
router?

You can do this with most routers. However you do need to lock your network
down. Just take a browse round

http://www.netstumbler.org

or do a google search on "wardriving" if you don't beleive me When you lock
down your wireless your laptop will loose its connection until you set it up
correctly. I found this was where the fun started, and that sometimes I
needed a re-boot the laptop to get it to talk to the Wireless. As most
laptops come with an eternet port its worth keeping a CAT5 patch cable so
you can plug it directly into the router and change the wireless settings
should you manage to lock the laptop out of the wireless.

You might also find Netstumber usefull to check for "free" channels before
you install the wireless, tough I think these days XP will show you a list
of active LANS.