VOIP - Where to buy a cheap handset?

Old March 28th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Mitchell

Default VOIP - Where to buy a cheap handset?

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a cheapish VOIP handset on the
high street?

TIA
--
Charlie Mitchell.
To reply by e mail, change the first charleem to my real first name.

Old March 28th 05, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Charlie Mitchell wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a cheapish VOIP handset on
the high street?

A little more info please - what exactly do you mean by a "VoIP
handset"..?

Do you want a phone that can be plugged directly into an Ethernet port on
a router..?

Do you want an adaptor box plugged into a router into which you can plug
ordinary analogue phones..?

Do you want a USB handset to plug into a PC or laptop..?

Do you want a WiFi unit that works in say a hotspot on the street..?

There is equipment for all of the above but most good ones aren't exactly
cheap.

Ivor

Old March 28th 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan

"Charlie Mitchell" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a cheapish VOIP handset on the
high street?

I'm fascinated by the interest in these things - they seem to be about 25
at the mo (Novatech, Skype etc).
The mean having your pc on, having an active broadband connection, and you
STILL pay a rate per minute..
I can pick up an ordinary phone and talk for hours for 2p via 18866, or
2p/minute to NZ/Aus/USA.
That's a LOT of phone calls before the thing even breaks even. And by the
time it has, it'll probably be obsolete!

I'm lost with this one - it's the same as with 3G...someone invented it,
people seem to want it, but no-one (and I mean no-one) has yet actually told
me that they've found a use for paying to watch postage stamp size music
videos!

Old March 28th 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:44:42 +0100, "Jonathan"
wrote:

I'm fascinated by the interest in these things - they seem to be about 25
at the mo (Novatech, Skype etc).
The mean having your pc on, having an active broadband connection, and you
STILL pay a rate per minute..

Remember that calls to other Skype users are generally free, and calls
to many fixed-line locations including the US and Australia are only
1.1p/min.

I can pick up an ordinary phone and talk for hours for 2p via 18866,

Not everyone makes calls lasting several hours.... :-)

or 2p/minute to NZ/Aus/USA.

Skype's actually cheaper for this.
It is however an emergent technology. If you commonly chat with
friends who have suitable PCs you may find that VOIP is cost
effective, but until takeup is general enough and the technology
matures, I agree its questionable that its going to be of full
benefit.

I'm lost with this one - it's the same as with 3G...someone invented it,
people seem to want it, but no-one (and I mean no-one) has yet actually told
me that they've found a use for paying to watch postage stamp size music
videos!

i QUITE agree about 3G tho...
Old March 28th 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Mark McIntyre wrote:

Remember that calls to other Skype users are generally free, and calls
to many fixed-line locations including the US and Australia are only
1.1p/min.

On Nildram voice all national calls are free any time up to 2hrs for
4.99 and for VOIP calls I just use my mobile bluetooth headset with the
PC. Means I can walk around hands free while making the call within
reasonable distance of the PC. Particularly useful when you are in a
hotel and already paid their exhorbitant net access charge for avoiding
their even more exorbitant phone charges.

Tony
Old March 28th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cotch

"Nigel M" wrote in message

CORDLESS PHONE BASE STATION FOR BROADBAND VoIP ROUTER
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5176537749

Don't bid more than about 15 - 20, I've got several more to sell.

So you are selling a normal DECT base station. Well done.

The idiots on eBay never cease to amaze me.

Old March 28th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
keymaster

"Jonathan" wrote in message
"Charlie Mitchell" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a cheapish VOIP handset on the
high street?

I'm fascinated by the interest in these things - they seem to be about 25
at the mo (Novatech, Skype etc).
The mean having your pc on, having an active broadband connection, and you
STILL pay a rate per minute..
I can pick up an ordinary phone and talk for hours for 2p via 18866, or
2p/minute to NZ/Aus/USA.
That's a LOT of phone calls before the thing even breaks even. And by the
time it has, it'll probably be obsolete!

I'm lost with this one - it's the same as with 3G...someone invented it,
people seem to want it, but no-one (and I mean no-one) has yet actually
told me that they've found a use for paying to watch postage stamp size
music videos!
Hi

i got always on router with fone plugged direct to it, i wouldn't use skype,
i use voipfone where I pay 9.99 a month and get 500 minutes to pretty much
anywhere in world on a landline for free, when the 500 minutes are up i get
the cheapest rates I have ever seen.
I get a incoming line included and can have any geographical code i want for
it and i can accept incoming calls like an old world phone.
i get fax to email and text message service, caller ID and 1571 service and
a hold tune and i can call any other voip telephone free NO MATTER WHO THE
OTHER PERSONS PROVIDER IS.
can skype or your provider come close??
i dont work for them by the way
roy

Old March 28th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Jonathan wrote:
"Charlie Mitchell" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a cheapish VOIP handset
on the high street?

I'm fascinated by the interest in these things - they seem to be
about 25 at the mo (Novatech, Skype etc).
The mean having your pc on, having an active broadband connection,
and you STILL pay a rate per minute..
I can pick up an ordinary phone and talk for hours for 2p via
18866, or 2p/minute to NZ/Aus/USA.
That's a LOT of phone calls before the thing even breaks even. And
by the time it has, it'll probably be obsolete!

I'm lost with this one - it's the same as with 3G...someone
invented it, people seem to want it, but no-one (and I mean no-one)
has yet actually told me that they've found a use for paying to
watch postage stamp size music videos!

A lot of people, me included, are interested in the technology involved
rather than any attempt at money-saving. Having said that though, I mainly
use Sipgate to call other people on the system, calls to these are free.
Yes, it will take a long time to break even financially but like I said
that isn't always the point. I'm a radio amateur, the technical side of
communications in general interests me, not only that which is radio
based. VoIP I find fascinating, which is why I got involved in it. I guess
I might break even money-wise at some stage, but it isn't a priority for
me.

Ivor