BT says 2MB, but I'm on PlusNet at 1MB..strange

Old March 28th 05, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry

Default BT says 2MB, but I'm on PlusNet at 1MB..strange

I've been on PlusNet a month now having migrated over from BT, and the
migration was easy and all is well so far.

Now, 10 days ago I received this from BT Yahoo:

Welcome to your
2Mb broadband service
Dear Mr Perry,

I am pleased to tell you that your line has been successfully
upgraded to 2Mb broadband, at no extra cost.

But I am still only connecting at 1MB - has anyone else received this
and got connected at 2MB, and if so, did they have to do anything?

thanks

--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
Old March 28th 05, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Mourby

"John Perry" wrote in message
I've been on PlusNet a month now having migrated over from BT, and the
migration was easy and all is well so far.

Now, 10 days ago I received this from BT Yahoo:

Welcome to your
2Mb broadband service
Dear Mr Perry,

I am pleased to tell you that your line has been successfully
upgraded to 2Mb broadband, at no extra cost.

But I am still only connecting at 1MB - has anyone else received this
and got connected at 2MB, and if so, did they have to do anything?

thanks

I'd imagine seeing as you are now with Plus.net, that BTYahoo have upgraded
all their users to 2Mb speeds and sent out a generic e-mail to everyone on
their mailing list to inform them. Therefore they have done nothing to
your line (as they no longer control it) and your plus.net account will
continue as normal. (Until april when the Plusnet 2mb upgrades start
happening anyway)

Old March 28th 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:34:08 +0100, James Mourby
wrote:

"John Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, they probably generated the mailing list before you migrated out. I
know when we're creating mailing lists they have to be done a few days in
advance of the mails going out so we can remove people who have opted out,
or where there are duplicate email addresses.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old March 28th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Taylor

wrote:

"John Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Are you running on a Spectrum? A couple of DAYS to filter duplicate
addresses and strip one list from another!?

Anyway, my point was that it doesn't look entirely like a generic
mass-mailing. At least, I wouldn't expect them to send a mass-mailing
to all their customers informing them they have been "_successfully_
upgraded to 2MB", given that at least some of them are going to be too
far away.

--
David Taylor
Old March 28th 05, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry

wrote:

"John Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I am inclined to agree with you David since BT stated I have been
successfully upgraded - what this means I am not sure.

Does it mean that the BT infrastructure has been upgraded at our
exchange, and it now required BT Yahoo or PlusNet to "flick a switch" to
activate the 2MB?

Or does it mean that had I stayed with BT Yahoo I would have 2MB now,
but as I am with PlusNet, I have to wait a bit longer.

I'm not complaining, just curious as to what is going on.
Old March 28th 05, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"John Perry" wrote in message
Or does it mean that had I stayed with BT Yahoo I would have 2MB now,
but as I am with PlusNet, I have to wait a bit longer.

Yes.

Regards
Sunil

Old March 29th 05, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"David Taylor" wrote in news:d29uil$1s2f$2
@outcold.yadt.co.uk:

Are you running on a Spectrum? A couple of DAYS to filter duplicate
addresses and strip one list from another!?

You are forgetting that there are multiple vISPs and the number of ADSL
accounts alone is somewhere approaching 100,000. Then of course you don't
want the script sucking up resources and causing problems with service
operation and any other necessary scripts.

There will be more to it than that but things at enterprise level are
never as easy as it seems..

--
Colin
Old March 30th 05, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Sunil Sood wrote:

"John Perry" wrote in message

Or does it mean that had I stayed with BT Yahoo I would have 2MB now,
but as I am with PlusNet, I have to wait a bit longer.

Yes.

Regards
Sunil

Does that mean BTR / BTY have had preferential treatment from their big
brother BTW again ?

Bill

Old March 31st 05, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Bill" wrote in message
Or does it mean that had I stayed with BT Yahoo I would have 2MB now,
but as I am with PlusNet, I have to wait a bit longer.

Yes.

Does that mean BTR / BTY have had preferential treatment from their big
brother BTW again ?

No.

It means that BT Retail (and AOL) announced their plans and got their
upgrade orders in before other ISP's..

Regards
Sunil