Netgear DG834G wireless question

Old March 28th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Howarth

Default Netgear DG834G wireless question

I've just bought a DG834G v2 and am pondering exchanging it as faulty.

I'm having rouble with the wireless side of things, if I change settings
via the web interface and/or reboot the unit, wireless networking
disappears. The box reckons all is well but my clients can no longer see
the wireless network.

Unplugging the power cable and reinserting does not make it reapear but
if unplugged and left for a minute or two, it will start up with working
wireless.

Cab anyone confirm that this is not normal behaviour (losing wireless
via soft reboot or after short power off (seconds)) before I report it a
DOA.

TIA

--
Tim
Old March 28th 05, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Howarth

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:24:59 +0100, Tim Howarth
wrote:

Cab anyone confirm that this is not normal behaviour (losing wireless
via soft reboot or after short power off (seconds)) before I report it a
DOA.

I found that WAS an unfortunate "feature" of the DG834G

I'd be happy if it were considered normnal (rather than a hint of
something amiss).

when it was installed in a region of other strong wireless signals and
when running the V1.05.00 software.

I wondered about that as I have a neighbour with an AP, though signal is
weak but why would switching off for more than a moment sort it ?

The problem was solved for me when I installed the V2.10.09 beta software.

I forgot to mention I'd tried different software versions to no effect,
1.10.10, 2.10.10, 2.10.16 (IIRC) not sure if I've tried 2.10.09. Are you
saying that if you do a "Diagnostics - reboot" you don't lose wireless ?
(If so then I will consider mine faulty !).

Thanks.

--
Tim
Old March 28th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

"Tim Howarth" wrote in message
I've just bought a DG834G v2 and am pondering exchanging it as faulty.

I'm having rouble with the wireless side of things, if I change settings
via the web interface and/or reboot the unit, wireless networking
disappears. The box reckons all is well but my clients can no longer see
the wireless network.

Unplugging the power cable and reinserting does not make it reapear but if
unplugged and left for a minute or two, it will start up with working
wireless.

Cab anyone confirm that this is not normal behaviour (losing wireless via
soft reboot or after short power off (seconds)) before I report it a DOA.

TIA

--
Tim

I have two DG834G units, a MkI and a MkII, neither of them display your
problem.
Both are running 1.05.00 firmware

Steve

Old March 28th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Howarth

Steve wrote:
"Tim Howarth" wrote in message

Cab anyone confirm that this is not normal behaviour (losing wireless via
soft reboot or after short power off (seconds)) before I report it a DOA.

I have two DG834G units, a MkI and a MkII, neither of them display your
problem.
Both are running 1.05.00 firmware

Thanks, that makes me think mine is faulty and it looks like I will be
going for an exchange.

--
Tim
Old March 28th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Steve wrote:
"Tim Howarth" wrote in message

Cab anyone confirm that this is not normal behaviour (losing wireless via
soft reboot or after short power off (seconds)) before I report it a DOA.

I have two DG834G units, a MkI and a MkII, neither of them display your
problem.
Both are running 1.05.00 firmware

Thanks, that makes me think mine is faulty and it looks like I will be
going for an exchange.

--
Tim

Yes get it back, mine has never been problematic with the wireless side. I
have been thoroughly pleased with the DG834's and they shouldn't be giving
you problems with the wireless..... Excellent Wireless Router.

Old March 29th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Pleasants

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:15:46 +0100, "Steve"
wrote:

Yes get it back, mine has never been problematic with the wireless side. I
have been thoroughly pleased with the DG834's and they shouldn't be giving
you problems with the wireless..... Excellent Wireless Router.

Yes, although I had a scary realisation of its range at the weekend.
My next door neighbour's wireless network is barely detectable in my
house so I assumed mine was much the same in his. Bzzt! Wrong! In
his house at the weekend my laptop could see my signal as well as his
and happily maintained a 54mbit "excellent" connection (according to
Windows).

Not bad considering it is going through the wall of my house, across
the driveway through two large family cars, and through the wall of
his house.

Unfortunately, it does mean it extends further beyond the walls of my
house than I had realised.