Help with wireless kit selection

Old March 28th 05, 10:15 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
David Allen

Default Help with wireless kit selection

I have been asked to install a network to allow the sharing of a BB
connection. There would be two computers, one in the main house and one in a
garage loft (office convertion) just under 100m away from the other. I'm
looking for suggestions for kit to use. (ISP is not important right now).
The link needs to be wireless and on a fairly small budget, (150 ish). No
need for fancy routers with VPN tunneling.

So can anyone suggest anything. Email for more info if needed.

Many thanks

David

Old March 28th 05, 11:46 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

"David Allen" wrote in message
I have been asked to install a network to allow the sharing of a BB
connection. There would be two computers, one in the main house and one in

garage loft (office convertion) just under 100m away from the other. I'm
looking for suggestions for kit to use. (ISP is not important right now).
The link needs to be wireless and on a fairly small budget, (150 ish). No
need for fancy routers with VPN tunneling.

So can anyone suggest anything.

My gf's dad has just bought a D-Link DSL-904 wireless router and wireless
USB adapter set. A great bit of kit for the price. After seeing it I'm gonna
buy one tomorrow.

You can get it from Ebuyer for 67.67 inc vat and standard delivery @
http://tinyurl.com/6tmdh

At the moment PC World are doing it in-store for 69.99 but only until
tomorrow, and only if you take along the advert (or voucher as thy call it)
thats been in the papers.

Russell

Old March 29th 05, 09:43 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Russell wrote:

[...]

How well is this likely to work over a distance of 100 metres?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old March 29th 05, 10:23 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

[snip]
Depending on the walls etc, 100m is quite some distance for simple
off-the-shelf kit. However if both ends of the link have aerials connected
by screw-in connectors (I want to say D-connectors but that may not be the
correct name), then you can buy better, directional aerials that will
increase your range.

FYI, 30 miles (sic) is possible with the correct kit, good parabolic dishes
etc. but you'll just need something a little less impressive. Of course you
won't be able to connect "behind" the antenna, but providing you want a
straight line-of-site connection, you'll be sorted.

OTOH, exterior grade CAT.5 cable is relatively cheap so perhaps you might
want to consider a long cable between the two buildings - providing it's all
over you land of course.

Paul DS.

Old March 29th 05, 10:21 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:43:15 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"

Russell wrote:

[...]

Not very.

If you have the router in a room next to the outside wall in one
building, and the PC with the adapter in a room next to the facing
outside wall in the other building, and there are no trees or other
obstructions in between, then it will probably work when the weather
is fine.

According to the manual
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-g604t/dsl-g604t_man_v1.pdf,
it has a range of up to 100M indoors, 300M outdoors, but that 300M
means with *nothing* between them, and is the absolute maximum you can
expect in perfect conditions.

Neither the router nor the adapter appear to have detachable antennae,
so it might not be easy to replace with better ones.

This router also appears to be one of the least secure you can buy :-(
It does not have an SPI firewall (in spite of what I said a few
minutes ago in another thread), and although it has 128-bit WEP or WPA
encryption, it cannot hide SSID, so anybody nearby with a wireless
enabled device can tell that you have a network.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Make Headlines..use a corduroy pillow....

Old March 29th 05, 11:52 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

Alex Heney wrote in
:

Neither the router nor the adapter appear to have detachable
antennae, so it might not be easy to replace with better ones.

The DSL-G604T has a Reverse SMA antenna connector. It is supplied
with a stock 2dBi antenna, but you can fit a higher gain antenna as
required.

This router also appears to be one of the least secure you can buy
:-( It does not have an SPI firewall (in spite of what I said a
few minutes ago in another thread),,,

Yes it does, although it it not particularly visible from the (IMO)
very confused web-based config. The device is based on the TI AR7
communications processor running MontaVista Linux + Busybox, the same
as the Netgear DG834G.

...and although it has 128-bit
WEP or WPA encryption, it cannot hide SSID, so anybody nearby with
a wireless enabled device can tell that you have a network.

Yes, it can disable SSID broadcast.

You are indeed correct that "anybody nearby ... can tell that you
have a network". This is of course true of *any* access point,
whether or not there is a facility (attempt?) to disable SSID
broadcast since the SSID is *always* transmitted in certain frames.
The SSID is intended to be broadcast, and 'hiding' it is (a)
impossible (b) not a security measure. This topic has been discussed
at length in this and other forums. But if it makes you feel better,
go ahead...

The DSL-G604T is no less secure than any other device with WPA and
WPA-PSK using RC4 encryption. The TI AR7 has hardware support for AES
encryption, and I believe that a firmware upgrade to support this
function is due. But D-Link is not always known for the speed of its
firmware releases...

Kind regards

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Old March 30th 05, 12:11 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in
:

Russell wrote:

[...]

Unlikely without some assistance. Whatever router you buy, the likely
best solution for the wireless link between the two buildings is a
wireless bridge, using a mating pair of multi-mode access points
configured in Brisge mode. To cover this distance you will likely
need to use directional antennae at each end, positioned in line-of-
sight. If you like D-Link kit, the DWL-2100AP will work just fine.

However, you may get lucky if you have line-of-sight between two
windows. Place a wireless router in one window, and a multi-mode
access point configured in Wireless Client mode in the other window.
It may work without higher gain antennae, but medium gain directional
panel antennae are not too expensive...

If you do set up a wireless bridge with a pair of devices using
replacement antennae, you are likely to exceed your budget unless you
buy on eBay...

Hope this helps

Old March 30th 05, 01:20 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On 29 Mar 2005 22:52:23 GMT, Richard Perkin
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote in
:

Neither the router nor the adapter appear to have detachable
antennae, so it might not be easy to replace with better ones.

The DSL-G604T has a Reverse SMA antenna connector. It is supplied
with a stock 2dBi antenna, but you can fit a higher gain antenna as
required.

This router also appears to be one of the least secure you can buy
:-( It does not have an SPI firewall (in spite of what I said a
few minutes ago in another thread),,,

Yes it does, although it it not particularly visible from the (IMO)
very confused web-based config. The device is based on the TI AR7
communications processor running MontaVista Linux + Busybox, the same
as the Netgear DG834G.

You obviously know the machine better than I do, since I have never
seen or attempted to configure one, only read the manual.

But I'm surprised the manual makes no mention of it, and only mentions
being able to turn on/off the firewall and NAT together.

...and although it has 128-bit
WEP or WPA encryption, it cannot hide SSID, so anybody nearby with
a wireless enabled device can tell that you have a network.

Yes, it can disable SSID broadcast.

Again, not according to the manual. Who writes these things?

You are indeed correct that "anybody nearby ... can tell that you
have a network". This is of course true of *any* access point,
whether or not there is a facility (attempt?) to disable SSID
broadcast

Not quite true. When I said Anybody with a wireless enabled device,
that is what I meant.

To be able to see it with SSID disabled, you need more than just "any"
wireless device. You either need to know the SSID, or you need to have
a device specifically set up to look for the "hidden" SSIDs.

since the SSID is *always* transmitted in certain frames.
The SSID is intended to be broadcast, and 'hiding' it is (a)
impossible (b) not a security measure. This topic has been discussed
at length in this and other forums. But if it makes you feel better,
go ahead...

I agree that it doesn't provide much protection at all against a
"serious" hacker. But it stops the opportunists from seeing the
network and just trying things to see if they can get in.

The DSL-G604T is no less secure than any other device with WPA and
WPA-PSK using RC4 encryption. The TI AR7 has hardware support for AES
encryption, and I believe that a firmware upgrade to support this
function is due. But D-Link is not always known for the speed of its
firmware releases...

And it would appear not for the quality of its manuals :-(

Old March 30th 05, 11:15 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

Alex Heney wrote in
:

wrote:

To be able to see it with SSID disabled, you need more than just
"any" wireless device. You either need to know the SSID, or you
need to have a device specifically set up to look for the "hidden"
SSIDs.

I agree that it doesn't provide much protection at all against a
"serious" hacker. But it stops the opportunists from seeing the
network and just trying things to see if they can get in.

At best, it provides 'security by obscurity'. And the only reason it
provides even that trivial protection is that the tools (together with
the correct wireless card drivers) which run under Windows to reveal
'hidden' SSIDs are not widely distributed. If they were, you can bet
that this so-called 'security' feature would rapidly be dismissed as
the myth that it is.

... But D-Link is not always known for the speed
of its firmware releases...

And it would appear not for the quality of its manuals :-(

Indeed. IMNSHO they are best described by the acrynym: PoS

Kind regards

PS: You're a long way from UKLM and UKL ?

Old March 30th 05, 02:24 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On 30 Mar 2005 10:15:04 GMT, Richard Perkin
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote in
:

On 29 Mar 2005 22:52:23 GMT, Richard Perkin
wrote:

snip
... But D-Link is not always known for the speed
of its firmware releases...

And it would appear not for the quality of its manuals :-(

Indeed. IMNSHO they are best described by the acrynym: PoS

There are too many manufacturers who seem to do user guides as an
afterthought. Don't they realise that it will put people off using
their equipment if the user cannot easily find out how to do things
with it?

Kind regards

PS: You're a long way from UKLM and UKL ?

I currently have 22 groups in my main subscribed list. Where I'm most
active varies over time :-)

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Waiter, there's no fly in my soup! - Kermit