Most secure wireless router

Old March 29th 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RolYat

Default Most secure wireless router

I'm looking at getting a Draytek 2600G wireless router because, AIUI, it
is probably the most secure in terms of firewall et al than others in
this 'consumer' range.

Comments?
Old March 29th 05, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

RolYat wrote:
I'm looking at getting a Draytek 2600G wireless router because, AIUI, it
is probably the most secure in terms of firewall et al than others in
this 'consumer' range.

Comments?

I am not sure how you have come to that conclusion. We use an awlful
lot of these units - but still have separate firewalls. Many do not
consider them consumer units due to their price point.
Old March 29th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RolYat

In article , says...

RolYat wrote:
I'm looking at getting a Draytek 2600G wireless router because, AIUI, it
is probably the most secure in terms of firewall et al than others in
this 'consumer' range.

Comments?

I am not sure how you have come to that conclusion.

From what i've read, perhaps...

"The Draytek Vigor 2600G includes full packet-level firewall facilities,
not just the inherrent 'NAT' security and port-blocking of other
routers"

Source :
www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

We use an awlful lot of these units - but still have separate firewalls.

As will I ... in this case, a software firewall.

Many do not consider them consumer units due to their price point

oh well, guess i've too much money to spend :-)
Old March 29th 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"RolYat" wrote in message
In article , says...

RolYat wrote:
I'm looking at getting a Draytek 2600G wireless router because, AIUI,

it
is probably the most secure in terms of firewall et al than others in
this 'consumer' range.

Comments?

I am not sure how you have come to that conclusion.

From what i've read, perhaps...

"The Draytek Vigor 2600G includes full packet-level firewall facilities,
not just the inherrent 'NAT' security and port-blocking of other
routers"

Source :
www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

Draytek aren't the only manufacturer to use SPI, (Stateful Packet
Inspection) firewalls. For example, so do Netgear to name but one. No doubt
others do too.

P.

Old March 29th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:25:08 +0100, Wireless Reader
wrote:

I am not sure how you have come to that conclusion. We use an awlful
lot of these units - but still have separate firewalls. Many do not
consider them consumer units due to their price point.

Indeed, I would call it a business unit, albeit at entry level.
Old March 29th 05, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I'm looking at getting a Draytek 2600G wireless router because, AIUI, it
is probably the most secure in terms of firewall et al than others in
this 'consumer' range.

A good solid reliable unit. I have had mine running 24/7 for over a year and
it has never let me down. You do need some software like ZoneAlarm to
protect against outgoing connections from rogue software. In a domestic
environment it is more than adequate. I would buy another.

Peter Crosland

Old March 29th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JA

Nigel M wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband, PJB wrote:

Draytek aren't the only manufacturer to use SPI

Is SPI the only real difference between Draytek and the rest of the
herd? I'm still waiting for BB, but have bought a SpeedTouch 530 to get
going with. I figured I'd be better of with a simple device to start.

Lots of others do SPI. One thing that divides Draytek 2600 from the
herd is VPN termination (as opposed to pass-through).
--
John Appleyard
Old March 29th 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
I'm looking at getting a Draytek 2600G wireless router because, AIUI, it
is probably the most secure in terms of firewall et al than others in
this 'consumer' range.

A good solid reliable unit. I have had mine running 24/7 for over a year
and it has never let me down. You do need some software like ZoneAlarm to
protect against outgoing connections from rogue software. In a domestic
environment it is more than adequate. I would buy another.

Peter Crosland

2nd here. The best router I have ever seen. Now looking to upgrade my 2 year
old 2600W to an 2600VGi. After all you get what you pay for, and Internet
Firewalls and routers, is not an area I am likely to want to skimp on.

Old March 29th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

RolYat wrote:

I am not sure how you have come to that conclusion. We use an awlful
lot of these units - but still have separate firewalls. Many do not
consider them consumer units due to their price point.

Indeed, I would call it a business unit, albeit at entry level.

Oh deary deary me .... OK, so it's *not* a consumer unit...let's discuss
the colour next shall we?

I think it's called "Draytek Blue".