Broadband for shared house

Old March 30th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Broadband for shared house

I share a house with 3 others. The tv and phone are provided through
Telewest but there is a dormant BT line we could activate.

As none of us is sure to be in the house in a year's time, we do not
want to sign up with Telewest because it is a 12 month contract, and to
transfer the account name triggers a new 12 month contract.

So we are thinking of scrapping the Telewest phone deal and activating
the BT line.

Could someone recommend a broadband supplier which fits this:

- no 12 month contract (6 months or less would be better)

- 512KB

Thanks!

Old March 30th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GM

"Wireless Reader" wrote in message
However if you activate the BT line you will probably have a 1-year
minimum on the line rental even if you sign up for a 1-month broadband
deal.

Why did you just make that up? There's 3 or 6 month line rental contracts,
it's not even a contract as such, and i know folk who've had no probs
getting it cancelled.

Old March 30th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

There's 3 or 6 month line rental contracts,

Are you *really* sure about that? Just in case:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c...boo/000214.htm

I've never heard of a 6 month minumum rental period but there's a minimum
term for brand new provision of service (12 months) and a minimum term for
takeover of existing (3 months)

it's not even a contract as such, and i know folk who've had no probs
getting it cancelled.

So what exactly do you suppose it is if it's not a contract? An agreement
for BT to provide you with a service that you agree to pay for... IANAL but
that does sound like a contract?!?! Just because there's an early
termination clause doens't stop it being so.

Dave

Old March 30th 05, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Dave" wrote in message
There's 3 or 6 month line rental contracts,

Are you *really* sure about that? Just in case:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c...boo/000214.htm

I've never heard of a 6 month minumum rental period but there's a minimum
term for brand new provision of service (12 months) and a minimum term for
takeover of existing (3 months)

You can cancel the 3 or 12 month contracts for a small fee as described at
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c....boo/00023.htm

Regards
Sunil

Old March 30th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
The only ISP to both waive the activation fee AND to allow short term
(after
3 months?) cancellation has, so far, been Virgin.

What about
www.bulldogdsl.com Free connection and no 12 month contract on
either the broadband or phone line (if your in an LLU area)

Paul

Old April 1st 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Paul G wrote:

What about www.bulldogdsl.com Free connection and no 12 month contract on
either the broadband or phone line (if your in an LLU area)

Paul

From my old dodgy memory, If you reactivate a BT line and couldn't
prove regular income (i.e. Student), BT could ask you for a deposit
before they connected you for phone use. Does Bulldog do the same thing?
Does BT still have this practice? (talking 20 years ago here).

Adrian