ADSL on disconnected line?

Old March 30th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Sparks

Default ADSL on disconnected line?

"Tom" wrote in message
I am posting this from an ADSL connection on a line that has been
"disconnected" (at my request). Picking up the phone just gets a solid
tone - is this the normal case with a disconnected line? I assumed it
would simply be silent/dead.

The ADSL is still working as normal however (as proven by this post).

Can anybody tell me if this is normal, if the ADSL will stay on the
line and usable, even though the line has been "disconnected", or if
it's just temporary till BT remove the ADSL (due to the line
disconnection, rather than a request from an ISP).

Thanks.

AIUI when you terminate your line, first it gets tuned off, so you cant make
ore receive calls, (you then get the solid tone you are getting)
the card still stays connected until BT need the port for someone else (Or
they have a tidy up, or they need to use the pair of wires from the exchange
to your nearest BT distribution point)

I guess as the ADSL is a separate thing, if this is being paid for
separately, and you are still connected to your line card in the exchange,
then it will continue to work!

We had a 256k leased line like this, but it actually stayed connected for
over a year after we ceased it! (I called BT when it stopped working to
report a fault (I didn't know it was supposed to be ceased at this point)
and they told me that the line was ceased over a year ago!

Sparks...

Old March 30th 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Sparks

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
snip

We had a 256k leased line like this, but it actually stayed

connected for
over a year after we ceased it! (I called BT when it stopped working

report a fault (I didn't know it was supposed to be ceased at this

point)
and they told me that the line was ceased over a year ago!

Did they bill you ?!... :~)

Nope, didn't even try it on!
I was suprised!

Old March 30th 05, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
:::Jerry::::

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
snip

--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.

Old March 30th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Tom

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:54:22 +0100, "Sparks" wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure if you or anybody else will know this, but in the case of
ADSL still being enabled on the line, as here, if somebody were to get
the line reconnected with the same number, and they wanted ADSL, would
there be a conflict (ADSL already on the line)? Or would it be classed
as a different line since it would be a different BT account holder?

Similarly, if someone got the line reconnected with a different
number, is that classed as a different line? So while there would be
ADSL on the disconnected service, there would be no "conflict" if
another ADSL service was required on the line with a different number?

If that makes sense.

We had a 256k leased line like this, but it actually stayed connected for
over a year after we ceased it! (I called BT when it stopped working to
report a fault (I didn't know it was supposed to be ceased at this point)
and they told me that the line was ceased over a year ago!

Good - and surprising - to hear you didn't get billed for it too!

Old March 30th 05, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Sparks

Not sure if you or anybody else will know this, but in the case of
ADSL still being enabled on the line, as here, if somebody were to get
the line reconnected with the same number, and they wanted ADSL, would
there be a conflict (ADSL already on the line)? Or would it be classed
as a different line since it would be a different BT account holder?

At a guess, I would think it would work like this:-
I would think each line card in the exchange has an address of some kind
(not just a phone number) so when you ask for ADSL on your telephone number,
the ISP then gets BT to activate on this phone number, BT then cross
reference the phone number with the card address, then go and find the card
in the exchange and disconnect you from it.
You then get connected to another ADSL enabled card with a new address.
They then transfer your telephone number over to this new card.
(Except in my case when I ended up with working ADSL, but someone else's
phone number!)

You then tell BT you wish to disconnect your phone service, so they set the
permissions on your line so you can't do anything (so you get a static tone,
not just a dead line)

You phone number then goes into to a holding pool
(AFAIK this number is not usable for quite a while, so someone else doesn't
get your calls)

If the number is then eventually reallocated to someone else, and your ADSL
is still working, it will just be assigned to a spare non ADSL line card.

They then request ADSL and BT transfer them to a spare ADSL enabled card as
your card is marked as spare, it may be used, or maybe not)

Similarly, if someone got the line reconnected with a different
number, is that classed as a different line? So while there would be
ADSL on the disconnected service, there would be no "conflict" if
another ADSL service was required on the line with a different number?

If the line was reconnected, the pair of wires from the exchange to your
house would be removed from the ADSL card, then put in a normal card - then
if you ordered ADSL, you would be connected to an ADSL card

It is possible your current card wont be put back into service until after
you stop paying your ISP, however BT can disconnect you form it, as you are
not paying them anything.

On the other hand, this could be complete twoddle, as I am not, and have
never been a BT engineer!

Sparks...