AOL and routers

Old March 30th 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

Default AOL and routers

A friend of mine has ordered ADSL via AOL (yes yes, I know, I didn't get
asked in time) three months free got mentioned which might have made the
difference.

I remember reading that a std modem/router can be set up to negotiate the
connection with no need for their software.

Could anyone point me at any good reference pages? ISTR there were some
AOL specific settings (window size + connection type?)

He's a couple of hundred miles away from me so I need to try to instruct
remotely.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave J.
Old March 30th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

"Dave J" wrote in message
A friend of mine has ordered ADSL via AOL (yes yes, I know, I didn't get
asked in time) three months free got mentioned which might have made the
difference.

I remember reading that a std modem/router can be set up to negotiate the
connection with no need for their software.

Could anyone point me at any good reference pages? ISTR there were some
AOL specific settings (window size + connection type?)

He's a couple of hundred miles away from me so I need to try to instruct
remotely.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave J.

Yeah this is what I currently use. Have a Netgear Wireless Router which
keeps me logged in without the need to use the AOL software

Found the service very good but you do need to get your own email and
newsgroups but that is very easy to do.

The only thing I had to do to set-up without the AOL software was to store
the screen name and password with the router via the web control panel and
change the MTU size to 1400. Once I did that it came straight on.

Does slow down a little during peak hours but 1mb Unlimited for 19.99 I
can't complain