connecting different adsl on same phoneline ???

Old March 31st 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
icarus

Default connecting different adsl on same phoneline ???

Hiya,

This is probably a daft question. If I use a laptop on my adsl line that's
got connection details for another ISP's adsl (say work's) can it use its
details on my phoneline ? In other words is an ADSL modified landline tied
to the one ISP adsl service ?

--
cheers,

Ice

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and
remove all doubt.

Old March 31st 05, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , icarus says...
Hiya,

This is probably a daft question. If I use a laptop on my adsl line that's
got connection details for another ISP's adsl (say work's) can it use its
details on my phoneline ? In other words is an ADSL modified landline tied
to the one ISP adsl service ?

no. An ADSL connection is specific to the ISP in that respect, which is
why you have to do cease and reprovide or migration if you want to move.
It's not as simple as dialup where you just dial another number.

FR
Old March 31st 05, 03:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
icarus

no. An ADSL connection is specific to the ISP in that respect, which is
why you have to do cease and reprovide or migration if you want to move.
It's not as simple as dialup where you just dial another number.

FR

OK, I thought so. A friend has brought their machine for me to sort out as
they have problems on it. Does that mean I cannot unless I go to their
house ?? Its about 200 miles away !

Old March 31st 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry MacKenzie

icarus wrote:
no. An ADSL connection is specific to the ISP in that respect, which is
why you have to do cease and reprovide or migration if you want to move.
It's not as simple as dialup where you just dial another number.

FR

OK, I thought so. A friend has brought their machine for me to sort out as
they have problems on it. Does that mean I cannot unless I go to their
house ?? Its about 200 miles away !

Are you sure you are up to the job?
Old March 31st 05, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow SJ

"Barry MacKenzie" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
icarus wrote:
no. An ADSL connection is specific to the ISP in that respect, which is
why you have to do cease and reprovide or migration if you want to move.
It's not as simple as dialup where you just dial another number.

FR

OK, I thought so. A friend has brought their machine for me to sort out
as they have problems on it. Does that mean I cannot unless I go to
their house ?? Its about 200 miles away !

Remotely - just enable RDS and connect to it over the net.

If its at your house plug it into your network, set the default gatway as
your routers ip address and it will work (or if you don't have a home
network (if you fix them then you probably do) just use your login details.

If it's a problem with their internet connection specifically then you
wouldn't be messing about with the pc - if you can make yours work, theres
should.

Are you sure you are up to the job?

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293.
Opinions are those of the sender only, you must not forward, copy, or quote
this email without permission.

Old March 31st 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
icarus

Are you sure you are up to the job?

Thanks for your concern. I have been a computer consultant for 20 years. I
just didn't know how ADSL works in this area as I'm not a comms man.

Old March 31st 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry MacKenzie

icarus wrote:
Are you sure you are up to the job?

Thanks for your concern. I have been a computer consultant for 20 years. I
just didn't know how ADSL works in this area as I'm not a comms man.

Then you should be able to take the minor conceptual step of realising
you can put your settings for your ADSL into their PC. Or you may be
very lucky and find that BT haven't locked down your line using SSB
after all.
Old March 31st 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
icarus

icarus wrote:
Are you sure you are up to the job?

Thanks for your concern. I have been a computer consultant for 20 years.
I just didn't know how ADSL works in this area as I'm not a comms man.

Then you should be able to take the minor conceptual step of realising you
can put your settings for your ADSL into their PC. Or you may be very
lucky and find that BT haven't locked down your line using SSB after all.

You really must try to learn that sarcasm is no compensation for that small
penis. As you find it difficult raising a quorum of neurones I wont reply to
any further posts of yours.

Old March 31st 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry MacKenzie

icarus wrote:

Are you sure you are up to the job?

Thanks for your concern. I have been a computer consultant for 20 years.
I just didn't know how ADSL works in this area as I'm not a comms man.

Then you should be able to take the minor conceptual step of realising you
can put your settings for your ADSL into their PC. Or you may be very
lucky and find that BT haven't locked down your line using SSB after all.

You really must try to learn that sarcasm is no compensation for that small
penis. As you find it difficult raising a quorum of neurones I wont reply to
any further posts of yours.

Does your mouth bleed every 28 days?
Old April 1st 05, 02:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
icarus

ohh, I see, you hide behind a false address. That makes you so big. As I
said small penis. If not,... lets meet.