Occasional 'ding' on the line ringer

Old March 31st 05, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RolYat

Default Occasional 'ding' on the line ringer

We have a 'ringer' bell plugged into one phone socket in the house (one
of those so that you can hear the phone ring when you are in the shed
getting the lawnmower out type things) and every so often, it makes a
'ding' noise, the same noise as that which occurs when someone hangs up
from using a phone here.

It has been doing this for as long as I can remember, but only since
ADSL has been on the line, AFAIR.

Connection is made via a router, which is set to 'always on'. The only
other piece of kit is a Sky+ box which is hooked into the phone line.

Is it possible that ADSL has a 'pulse' or something on the line which is
causing the ringer to react this way? Or maybe the Sky+ box is ringing
out and the 'ding' is when that hangs up?

Haven't tried unplugging either yet, as the 'dings' are too random to
sit and wait for it to happen. Any thoughts? My odds are on the Sky+ box
doing something, but I seem to recall it started before we had that
installed, not sure ... ?
Old March 31st 05, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news

In message , RolYat
writes

[...]

I believe it's an automated line check from BT.

Mine has done this for years, even before I had ADSL or dial-up.
--
Ian.
Old March 31st 05, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

RolYat wrote:
[...]

Well considering that the Sky box does indeed access your line there
is a chance it could be the cause, if it only happens in the wee small
hours it could be the BT routine tester but then again it could be a
symptom of a line fault..

There you go, take your pick. It probably has absolutely nothing to
do with your ADSL & if you have no problems with it I wouldn't worry
to much, as if it was a line fault then the chances are it would cause
problems with your ADSL...

Old April 4th 05, 06:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:45:50 +0100, "kraftee"
wrote:
if it only happens in the wee small
hours it could be the BT routine tester but then again it could be a
symptom of a line fault..

I have my cordless phone annoyingly ringing occasionally, so I'm
guessing this is the likely cause?