Chances of Higher Speed Broadband When BT Roll it out?

Old March 31st 05, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default Chances of Higher Speed Broadband When BT Roll it out?

I currently have a 2Mb connection and these are the stats from my router.
Does anyone know if I will have a good chance of higher speed 4Mb or even
8Mb when/if BT roll them out? Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream

Noise Margin
31 dB
29 dB

Output Power
10.5 dBm
20 dBm

Attenuation
18.5 dB
32 dB

Old March 31st 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:15:26 +0100, "Phil"
wrote:

I currently have a 2Mb connection and these are the stats from my router.
Does anyone know if I will have a good chance of higher speed 4Mb or even
8Mb when/if BT roll them out? Operation Data

I don't know enough to tell you whether your figures make high speeds
likely. I can however say that it has been said that most people who
have 2Mb already will be able to get faster than 2Mb.

Also, there isn't just going to be 4Mb and 8Mb services. The the line
will work at whatever speed it reliably syncs at (or rather a speed on
a 512k boundary somewhere between 2Mb and 8Mb). So you could end up
with a 2.5Mb, 3.0Mb, 3.5Mb etc line.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old March 31st 05, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Phil" wrote in message
I currently have a 2Mb connection and these are the stats from my router.
Does anyone know if I will have a good chance of higher speed 4Mb or even
8Mb when/if BT roll them out? Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream

Noise Margin
31 dB
29 dB

Yes, you should be able to get between 6 and 8MB quite easily.

Regards
Sunil

Old April 1st 05, 01:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Nice one, thanks for the info guys

Old April 1st 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Andrew Norman wrote:

Also, there isn't just going to be 4Mb and 8Mb services. The the line
will work at whatever speed it reliably syncs at (or rather a speed on
a 512k boundary somewhere between 2Mb and 8Mb). So you could end up
with a 2.5Mb, 3.0Mb, 3.5Mb etc line.

will they be introducing a 1.5Mb boundary for lines that are good at 1Mb
but not quite good enough for 2Mb?
Old April 1st 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:11:51 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Andrew Norman wrote:

Also, there isn't just going to be 4Mb and 8Mb services. The the line
will work at whatever speed it reliably syncs at (or rather a speed on
a 512k boundary somewhere between 2Mb and 8Mb). So you could end up
with a 2.5Mb, 3.0Mb, 3.5Mb etc line.

will they be introducing a 1.5Mb boundary for lines that are good at 1Mb
but not quite good enough for 2Mb?

Good question.

I have only seen 2Mb to 8Mb mentioned.
Old April 2nd 05, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Also, there isn't just going to be 4Mb and 8Mb services. The the line
will work at whatever speed it reliably syncs at (or rather a speed on
a 512k boundary somewhere between 2Mb and 8Mb). So you could end up
with a 2.5Mb, 3.0Mb, 3.5Mb etc line.

will they be introducing a 1.5Mb boundary for lines that are good at 1Mb
but not quite good enough for 2Mb?

They don't currently plan to do this.

However, it is expected that they will relax the 2MB line test sooner rather
than later.

Regards
Sunil