Wireless LAN encryption cracked in 3 mins

Old April 1st 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
silangdon

Default Wireless LAN encryption cracked in 3 mins

Interesting article at Tom's Hardware

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php

"After about three minutes of capturing and cracking, the FBI team
found the correct WEP key, and displayed it on a projected notebook
screen."

I havn't even bothered turning the encryption on on my box.

Presumably this isn't an April fool, unlike the one my colleague
pulled by swapping the n & m keys on my keyboard before I got in this
morning...
Old April 1st 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

[snip]
"After about three minutes of capturing and cracking, the FBI team
found the correct WEP key, and displayed it on a projected notebook
screen."

Also, the FBI require that 128 bit encryption is really only 104 (if I
remember correctly) and the remaining bits are "known" to them. This makes
cracking far simpler for them.

Paul DS.

Old April 1st 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

silangdon wrote:
Interesting article at Tom's Hardware

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php

"After about three minutes of capturing and cracking, the FBI team
found the correct WEP key, and displayed it on a projected notebook
screen."

I havn't even bothered turning the encryption on on my box.

Presumably this isn't an April fool, unlike the one my colleague
pulled by swapping the n & m keys on my keyboard before I got in this
morning...

Yup, its been known for quite a while now - its not hi-tech and anyone
can do it with free tools off the internet.

The crack involves a little 'fudge factor' and the normal 'hacker luck',
but by capturing a few IVs, you can then inject and re-inject them to
build up the amount of packets required to attempt a crack.

Try here for a start to more info
http://www.cr0.net:8040/code/network/aircrack/
Old April 1st 05, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Peter wrote:

silangdon wrote:

Interesting article at Tom's Hardware

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php

"After about three minutes of capturing and cracking, the FBI team
found the correct WEP key, and displayed it on a projected notebook
screen."

I havn't even bothered turning the encryption on on my box.

Presumably this isn't an April fool, unlike the one my colleague
pulled by swapping the n & m keys on my keyboard before I got in this
morning...

OK, so they got the target to generate the required traffic, captured
the traffic and cracked the key.

"Everybody" knows this can be done with WEP. For security one should
use WPA/PSK or or some other WPA implementation. Or a VPN running
3DES, AES, etc.

However, there are so many open access points that if a hacker finds
one with WEP on it, he's only got to drive another 50 yards to find an
open one.

The amount of traffic that the target needs to generate is now minimal.

What you have said is true but you have to crack one, just to say you
have done it )
Old April 1st 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

silangdon wrote:
Interesting article at Tom's Hardware

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php

"After about three minutes of capturing and cracking, the FBI team
found the correct WEP key, and displayed it on a projected notebook
screen."

I havn't even bothered turning the encryption on on my box.

Presumably this isn't an April fool, unlike the one my colleague
pulled by swapping the n & m keys on my keyboard before I got in this
morning...

s'easy and well known.

Search for Aircrack and Network Stumbler .. You don't even need to crack
an AP, just drive along a bit further.

Not, I hasten to add, that I do that sort of thing. much.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 1st 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Paul D.Smith wrote:

[snip]

"After about three minutes of capturing and cracking, the FBI team
found the correct WEP key, and displayed it on a projected notebook
screen."

Also, the FBI require that 128 bit encryption is really only 104 (if I
remember correctly) and the remaining bits are "known" to them. This makes
cracking far simpler for them.

Paul DS.

WEP protocol uses 24 bits as the Initialisation Vector, so 64 bit WEP is
actually 40 bit, and 128 bit is actually 104 bit.

Because this IV is only 24 bits it needs to be retransmitted regularly
and that is where the cracking tool gains its advantage and is able to
sniff the IV.

You can thwart the attacket by changing the key on a regular basis but
WEP is still inherently insecure.

Google is fantastic for searching for detail in both easy and technical
formats.
Old April 1st 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

silangdon wrote:

Interesting article at Tom's Hardware

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php

"After about three minutes of capturing and cracking, the FBI team
found the correct WEP key, and displayed it on a projected notebook
screen."

I havn't even bothered turning the encryption on on my box.

Presumably this isn't an April fool, unlike the one my colleague
pulled by swapping the n & m keys on my keyboard before I got in this
morning...

Banking comes with secure https protocol, so no need to worry there.
For files, I put all files on GNU/Linux servers
and then access them through ssh if over wireless.
Lots of free and open source liveCds here (like knoppix, mepis, quantian)
If windopes is used, I use open source winscp (which uses ssh)
to transfer files.
Browsing and other stuff I don't care.

In all, even if the wireless is 'insecure' the protocols
you run over it can be secured to avoid security problems.

Old April 2nd 05, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:17:39 GMT, 7
wrote:

silangdon wrote:

"After about three minutes of capturing and cracking, the FBI team
found the correct WEP key, and displayed it on a projected notebook
screen."

Banking comes with secure https protocol, so no need to worry there.

What does this have to do with anything? Its totally irrelevant to the
security of WEP.

For files, I put all files on GNU/Linux servers
and then access them through ssh if over wireless.

Marvellous. And this makes WEP more secure.... how?

Browsing and other stuff I don't care.

thats nice. So you don't mind hackers breaking into your network,
installing trojans and monitoring your bank account details....

In all, even if the wireless is 'insecure' the protocols
you run over it can be secured to avoid security problems.

hardly.

Old April 3rd 05, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:36:25 +0100, Killa
wrote:

k wrote:

In all, even if the wireless is 'insecure' the protocols
you run over it can be secured to avoid security problems.

hardly.

VPN's, for example, are designed to provide secure communications
over insecure networks. I don't undertsnad why you think this is
"hardly" the case. Care to suggest how a hacker is going to manage
to do anything 'useful' (and without being detected in a matter of
seconds) if the only traffic on the WLAN is IPsec or OpenVPN ?

First, and most obviously, they can use the internet connection.

Second, the protocols you use over the wireless link don't have much
to do with whether the PCs connected to it are properly secured (very
few will be - almost everyone has the whole of the IP range allocated
by their router as their "trusted zone"

Sure, it is possible to make the traffic you are sending across the
link pretty securer. But that is by no means the only security issue
if your WEP is cracked.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Let's split up, we can do more damage that way.

Old April 3rd 05, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

wrote:

[...]

Surely WEP (or preferably WPA) provides a fair level of security, such that
a hacker would have to be within range of the signal for a fairly long time
(and so would probably be rather obvious). Then, having cracked the wireless
encryption, they'd need to crack the VPN encryption to make any sense of the
wireless data that they received.

How does the strength of IPSec security compare with WPA security, assuming
that random characters (not dictionary words) are used as the shared keys in
both cases?

Yes, someone could connect to a wired port of your router or to your ADSL (I
presume that's what you meant by "the internet connection") but that would
require physical access to the building or the telphone line back to the
exchange so a hacker would be VERY obvious ;-)

I presume your advice about the range of IP addresses is that each PC should
be given a static IP address and that each PC's firewall software should be
configured to trust only those specific IP addresses (plus the router's!).

I imagine that the other precautions are to turn off SSID broadcast and to
configure the router for MAC address filtering, to at least make it more
difficult for hackers to even know that there's a wireless network there.