Downstream Noise Margin 4dB to 23dB ?

Old April 2nd 05, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Downstream Noise Margin 4dB to 23dB ?

Hi,

Why or what would cause my noise margin to vary between 4dB an 23dB?
Sometimes its as low as 4dB, but this morning it is currently 23dB....
weird

Thanks

Old April 2nd 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"John" wrote in message
Hi,

Why or what would cause my noise margin to vary between 4dB an 23dB?
Sometimes its as low as 4dB, but this morning it is currently 23dB....
weird

I have the same problem.

Apparently some fluctuation is normal but this sort of fluctuation surely
suggests a line fault. It also means, of course, that you will be buggered
when it comes to a speed upgrade.

Do you have any noise on your line - a background hum or crackle?

Gareth.

Old April 2nd 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"John" wrote in message
Hi,

Why or what would cause my noise margin to vary between 4dB an 23dB?
Sometimes its as low as 4dB, but this morning it is currently 23dB....
weird

If the margin reduces in the evening particularly about 9-10 pm your problem
could be due to the activities of other broadband users.

--

Michael Chare

Old April 2nd 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Al

"John" wrote in message
Hi,

Why or what would cause my noise margin to vary between 4dB an 23dB?
Sometimes its as low as 4dB, but this morning it is currently 23dB....
weird

I used to get the same sort of fluctuation - as low as 2dB up to about 23dB
and quite a few dropouts (loss of signal).

I had rather a long extension wire from my incoming BT socket, and rerouted
the cabling more directly. My figures now vary only from about 29.5dB to
33dB, and I have no dropouts and very few CRC errors (used to have many
hundreds over a few hours).

So I would check your cable run from the incoming up to your modem/router as
a starting point - if it's long you may be picking up interference from many
sources!

Al

Old April 3rd 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

John wrote:
Hi,

Why or what would cause my noise margin to vary between 4dB an 23dB?
Sometimes its as low as 4dB, but this morning it is currently 23dB....
weird

Thanks

Could be pick up over your extension wiring, try disconnecting the bell wire
at the NT5 (pin 3) & then seeing if that improves matters.

The bell/anti tinkle wire largely redundant on a broadband circuit as the
plugin filters normally have ringing capacitiors built in & the the
unbalanced bell wire often acts as an aeriel picking up all sorts of
background RF noise....

You've got nothing to loose & it has been proven to work many times in the
wild...