Strange Problem With NetGear Router - Anyone Else?

Old April 2nd 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Strange Problem With NetGear Router - Anyone Else?

A really strange problem has just been diagnosed with my NetGear DM602
ADSL Modem/Router connected via ethernet.

To be brief, it works on all the ADSL test accounts that don't require a
password, but not on my own that does. It makes no difference whether I
setup the device in Modem or Router mode, and I've also tried updating
to the latest firmware.

This fault has baffled everyone for a fortnight or so. It occurred just
at the time I changed over to a new ISP. It worked with the old ISP,
but not the new one, so naturally I was giving the new ISP grief for not
setting up my account properly. They swore that my account was set up
fine, and got BT to test the middle part. BT discovered that they could
sign on as me, and also a fault on the line, and sent an engineer out.
He fixed the fault, and while he was here, we unplugged the ADSL lead
from my router into his one, and were able to log on using my details on
his PC. Ergo, it must be the router.

Possibly relevant info:

1) I've telnetted into the box and found my password stored in ASCII
in the memory, which suggests the password is at least being stored
correctly when I enter it into the router.

2) The box is not my original one, but a recent replacement under 3
year warranty.

Has anyone else encountered anything similar?

Old April 2nd 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

I experienced exactly the same problem with a Netgear Router; try using PPOE
rather than PPOA. Worked for me.
Rgds
Alec

Old April 3rd 05, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Alec wrote:
I experienced exactly the same problem with a Netgear Router; try
using PPOE rather than PPOA. Worked for me.
Rgds
Alec

I'm using a DM602 set to PPPoA. Works for me (Wanadoo).

Have you got the settings of VPI set to 0 and VCI to 38..? Do you have the
DNS set to obtain from the ISP or have you entered specific IP addresses
for them..?

Ivor

Old April 3rd 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Camouflage

Thanks for this, although the ISP specifies PPOA. When I tried selecting
PPOE, there is an extra setting Service Name. What should I put in that?

"Alec" wrote in
:

Old April 3rd 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Camouflage

"Ivor Jones" wrote in
:

Alec wrote:
I experienced exactly the same problem with a Netgear Router; try
using PPOE rather than PPOA. Worked for me.
Rgds
Alec

I'm using a DM602 set to PPPoA. Works for me (Wanadoo).

Used to work with mine. Presumably your router is not faulty then ...

Have you got the settings of VPI set to 0 and VCI to 38..?

Yes the settings are correct and work with the test accounts which do not
require a password.

Do you have
the DNS set to obtain from the ISP or have you entered specific IP
addresses for them..?

The failure is an Authentication Failure, I don't see how DNS settings can
be relevant.
Old April 3rd 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

Thanks for this, although the ISP specifies PPOA. When I tried selecting
PPOE, there is an extra setting Service Name. What should I put in that?

Just any name that describes the connection for your purpose.
Rgds

Old April 4th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Found that the manual recommends leaving it blank. Doesn't work at all that
way though. Using PPoA I achieve the protocol negotiations stage, using
PPoE I don't even get that far.

Seems like it's time to contact NetGear again ...

Old April 5th 05, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

New router works fine, so definitely a NetGear hardware fault ...

Old April 13th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

After a mind-numbing hour on the phone, mostly spent while an inexperienced
muppet whose first language wasn't English kept me on hold while she asked
for instructions, NetGear have agreed to swap out the router, and I've lost
the will to live ...