My First VOIP Telephone Call.

Old April 2nd 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default My First VOIP Telephone Call.

Although I am a great advocate of SKYPE to make free calls PC to PC,
today I made my first VOIP PC to Landline telephone call. I used the UK
1899 service to Ireland because I get my calls for 0.05 pence per
minute. It worked very well in that I heard the person on
the landline through my speakers perfectly, (as I listen to music a lot
I have configured my system to only use the mike of my headset), however
they did not hear me very clearly and there was a lot of interference.
Where is going wrong, do I need to configure my PC to use the headset to
hear as well as talk, if so I lose my speakers, or can I set it up to
use both. Why was the reception at the other end so bad. Admittedly 1899
say they are in Beta but if I use someone else I won't get such a good
deal on the cost of the calls and then I might as well use the landline
to landline.
Any help and suggestions and help would be appreciated.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old April 3rd 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
keymaster

"Dee" wrote in message
.. .
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

Hi
I have a hardware phone (Snom 190 which are ace but expensive) you can buy
something like a grandstream for about 50 new. I also dont rate Skype that
highly. i suggest buying a hardware phone and giving a trial to somebody
like voipfone or sipgate.
i dont work for either of these companies but voipfone gives a free 15
minute trial.
I presently use voipfone, who offer me far far more than I get with a BT
line and for a fraction of the cost.
hope this helps, bt if not feel free to email me.
thanks
Roy

Old April 3rd 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message ,
keymaster writes

"Dee" wrote in message
. ..
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

Hi Roy and thank you for replying to my query.
I have a hardware phone (Snom 190 which are ace but expensive) you can buy
something like a grandstream for about 50 new.

I would want the best as I am very much "into" cheap communication, do
you know how much the Snom 190 is and is it worth the money.
I also dont rate Skype that
highly.

Why, is there any better PC to PC high quality voice communication,
surely not. If there was I should know about it.
i suggest buying a hardware phone and giving a trial to somebody
like voipfone or sipgate.

Thank you Roy, but I won't get the cheap calls to say, Ireland, that I
get with 1899.
i dont work for either of these companies but voipfone gives a free 15
minute trial.

Yes, but what does it charge for a PC to Landline call to Ireland,
that's the point
I presently use voipfone, who offer me far far more than I get with a BT
line and for a fraction of the cost.

This I don't understand, I have a BT line but presently use Talk Talk
for my 24/7 landline calls.
hope this helps, bt if not feel free to email me.
thanks

I would like to do so in due course as I have a lot to learn it seems.
Roy

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old April 3rd 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Dee
writes
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

Nope same here - I tried using a virtual phone number so people could
ring me and although I can hear them perfectly there alwasy had
problems hearing me - whilst I'm using a very High Quality Headset too
which works perfect wit MSn or skype.

Yes, I have been told its my loudspeakers interfering, I am going to get
my headset to listen as well whereas now I am only using its mike
facility.

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old April 3rd 05, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
[...]

I had a problem where people could only just hear me so I went into volume
control from the taskbar and into Microphone advanced properties and
selected Mic Boost. That worked for me. Also if you don't have a headset use
a pair of headphones or the person you are speaking too will be able to hear
themselves from your speakers.

Old April 3rd 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

It's 1p via 1899 anyway. Use an 0845 call-thru and have it as your best
friend and it's 0.8p at weekends/evenings if you have BT. Hardly worth
trying to shave 0.3-0.5p off that for all the hassle VoIP seems to be.

Old April 3rd 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

"Stephen (aka steford)" wrote in
message ...
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

The calls are free via VOIP. There would be no point in using it if they
were 1p. Note sure where you got that info from but all the calls I have
made in the last few days have been free apart from mobile calls.

Old April 4th 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Gareth :-\) voom wrote:
"Stephen (aka steford)" wrote
in message ...
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

0.5p according to their website to Ireland.

Old April 5th 05, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , "Stephen (aka
steford)" writes
Gareth :-\) voom wrote:
"Stephen (aka steford)" wrote
in message ...
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
[...]

That's what I meant to type, sorry.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old April 6th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , "Gareth :-\\) voom"
writes
[...]

This I have now done and it has improved matters a bit, thank you.
--
Derrick Fawsitt