OTish: NTL dial-up groups? Problem with game server

Old April 3rd 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

Default OTish: NTL dial-up groups? Problem with game server

Nigel M wrote:
Sorry about the OT post, but do any NLT users know if there are any NTL
dial-up forums? The usenet groups seem to be dead.

In case anyone here can help:

My son is trying to contact a game server, the IP is 85.133.16.62 on
port 2234. We have tried pinging it, but even with the firewall turned
off, it doesn't work.

And what about a trace route to the address - what happens?
Old April 7th 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Default NTL problem with game server: 85.133.16.62

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:39:38 GMT, Nigel M wrote:

I'm not sure what traceroute is supposed to show, if I can't ping the
host, how would traceroute work?

Many machines are now configured for security reasons to reject pings
from the WAN side, so a ping may fail - eg www.microsoft.com won't
respond any more.

Tracert however will work because it just tries to connect to each
machine in the route, not open a port.

C:\tracert 85.133.16.62

Tracing route to gwrbc2b02.rxtxtech.net [85.133.16.62] over a maximum of
30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.

Your router is blocking tracert. At least you should get a response
from your router as shown below (the first response is from my
router).

Tracing route to gwrbc2b02.rxtxtech.net [85.133.16.62]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms mmrouter1 [192.168.x.x]
(snip)
14 19 ms 17 ms 20 ms 82.211.95.242
15 18 ms 19 ms 19 ms gwrbc2b02.rxtxtech.net [85.133.16.62]

Assuming that NTL support still say it is my problem, can anyone make a
suggestion

I'm assuming you have a router, since you said your IP was a
192.168.x.x one. This is a nonroutable intranet address, and normally
means you have a router which is converting this to an internet
addressable IP. if you don't have a router, then it looks like your
machine maybe an internet gateway (using ICS?) and you don't have
routing tables set up between the internal and interner addresses.

Old April 7th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:37:49 GMT, Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Mark McIntyre wrote:

if you don't have a router, then it looks like your
machine maybe an internet gateway

Yes, a D-Link DP-602 Internet Server.

However, the point is that even if I dial up directly with a modem, I
can't ping the host from NTL, but if I use a different ISP then I can.

When you dial up directly, whats your PC's IP address?

ntl dialup and broadband run on completely different infrastructure,
so if you have the problem for both services, its very likely a local
config problem. Do you have a f/w installed, if so is it allowing
pings in and out on both the dialup and bb interfaces?

Old April 7th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:33:44 GMT, Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Mark McIntyre wrote:

ntl dialup and broadband run on completely different infrastructure,
so if you have the problem for both services...

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, this is a dial-up problem.

Ah, that wasn't clear. This is not the right place to ask. You really
do need to post to a dialup group, where they're familiar with the
problems of dialup. NTL's dialup service is totally different to its
broadband, and anyone using NTL here is unlikely to be very much help.

I don't have BB, but I know a lot of NTL customers use this group.

Yes, and I'm sure many people with microwave ovens also use this
group. I'm not posting questions about them tho. If you get my drift.

Old April 7th 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vivian stanshall

Nigel M wrote:

If I'd wanted a prat, I would have ordered one.

No need - you have one yourself.
Old April 8th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:19:09 GMT, Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, vivian stanshall wrote:

(I wrote)
you do need to post to a dialup group

(Nigel M wrote)
There aren't any!

whats wrong with ntl.discussion.dialup?

If I'd wanted a prat, I would have ordered one.

No need - you have one yourself.

Perhaps I was a little rude, sorry Mark. But I did say this was OTish,
and that I didn't have BB yet.

problem is, your issue seems to be specific to dialup and since almost
nobody here has that any more, its quite unlikely anyone can help you.

BTW, are the Bonzo's still going?

i have no idea what you're on about.