Bulldog and active/unactive exchanges

Old April 4th 05, 06:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default Bulldog and active/unactive exchanges

The following site suggests bulldog llu services aren't available on
my exchange. However, when I go to the bulldog site, put in my phone
number it allows me to order the 4mb service. What's going wrong here
then? What will happen if I do sign up to Bulldog? Do I just have to
wait it out till the exchange is bulldog LLU enabled?!?

All a bit peculiar if you ask me. Don't see how they can sell
something they can't provide.
Old April 4th 05, 08:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
The following site suggests bulldog llu services aren't available on
my exchange.

Which site is the "following site"? If you mean
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ then that site has been out of date for a
while..

However, when I go to the bulldog site, put in my phone
number it allows me to order the 4mb service. What's going wrong here
then? What will happen if I do sign up to Bulldog? Do I just have to
wait it out till the exchange is bulldog LLU enabled?!?

If Bulldog's site is offering you the 4MB service rather than their 1MB or
2MB services, it sounds as if your exchange has now been LLU'ed by them.

As such, if you sign up to them, they should provide you with LLU ADSL..

If you are interested in migrating to them, their advice is *not* to
cancel/cease your existing service and let Bulldog do that for you.
If you are interested in paying for a new line, then installation times
partly depend on BT as they will have to install a new line.

If you do sign up with Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral code -just
quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How did you hear about
Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention it while ordering by
telephone.

Regards
Sunil

Old April 4th 05, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:04:32 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:
Which site is the "following site"? If you mean
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ then that site has been out of date for a
while..

Ooops forgot to paste it and yes you are right, but it says updated
12th march suggesting it's reasonably up to date

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ex...hp?ecode=MYHHL

If Bulldog's site is offering you the 4MB service rather than their 1MB or
2MB services, it sounds as if your exchange has now been LLU'ed by them.

As such, if you sign up to them, they should provide you with LLU ADSL..

Sounds good Although it doesn't appear to be listed in the active
areas in the bulldog site.

If you are interested in migrating to them, their advice is *not* to
cancel/cease your existing service and let Bulldog do that for you.
If you are interested in paying for a new line, then installation times
partly depend on BT as they will have to install a new line.

Will be migrating from Fast24 to Bulldog 4mb (I hope). I assume if
there's a "migrate to" service then a "migrate from" should be
possible?!

If you do sign up with Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral code -just
quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How did you hear about
Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention it while ordering by
telephone.

Are there any downsides to bulldog that are known? Just so I'm aware
of them before I signup Am I right in thinking upload speeds are
twice that of my current 1mb line (256kb I think)

Many thanks.
Old April 4th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

tHatDudeUK wrote on Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:40:02 +0100:

of them before I signup Am I right in thinking upload speeds are
twice that of my current 1mb line (256kb I think)

Their site says "up to 400kbps", so you might get 1.5x your current line if
you're lucky.

Dan

Old April 4th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

wrote:
Which site is the "following site"? If you mean
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ then that site has been out of

date for a
while..

Ooops forgot to paste it and yes you are right, but it says updated
12th march suggesting it's reasonably up to date

Sadly not - on the front page Sam even says that his web site is out of
date as he hasn't been able to devote as much time to it as he had in
the past.

If you look at
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ll...=AS C&type=bd
which is a list of all Bulldog exchanges that Sam lists (110 in total)
you will see that their are hardly any listed outside London.

Bulldog on the other hand claim to offer some sort of LLU service in
the following locations:
http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/support/locations.asp -- a lot more
outside London and I don't believe that list has been updated for a
month or longer - which is probably why they don't mention Leeds,
though it is irrating for many people as they will then quote "Leeds"
on that page - only for people to discover that only a handful of the
exchanges in Leeds (like your's) will have been LLU'ed and not the
entire area (when they try and enter their number in the checker)

If you are interested in migrating to them, their advice is *not* to

cancel/cease your existing service and let Bulldog do that for you.
If you are interested in paying for a new line, then installation

times
partly depend on BT as they will have to install a new line.

Will be migrating from Fast24 to Bulldog 4mb (I hope). I assume if
there's a "migrate to" service then a "migrate from" should be
possible?!

Well its possible to "migrate" your telephone number back to BT and
then apply for another ADSL service.

BT/LLU operators are/will be trialling LLU--LLU Migrations and
LLU--IPStream/DataStream migrations in due course..

IPStream/DataStream--LLU migrations are already possible.

If you do sign up with Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral

code -just
quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How did you hear

about
Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention it while ordering by

telephone.

Are there any downsides to bulldog that are known? Just so I'm aware
of them before I signup Am I right in thinking upload speeds are
twice that of my current 1mb line (256kb I think)

The biggest gripe is that on a handful of exchanges (seemingly some of
the ones they 1st LLU'ed years ago) new installations take a long time
as Bulldog encounter capacity issues - so shoudn't affect you as your
exchange has just been LLU'ed. However because of this Bulldog quote
long lead times, even if they actually do the installs much quicker in
the majority of cases.

Other than that a few people have reported being switched to Bulldog
(and with the ADSL working), only to hear a voice message on their
line, saying call 150 to activate their voice line but when they do,
they just hear the same message repeated again and again - I believe
this is easily fixed though.

As for upload speeds, your current upload speed will be 256K, Bulldog's
will be 400K *but* their business LLU services offer 512K upload and
many people have recently found (new installations) that they are
provisioned as 512K upload on home services as well (no guarantee mind
you)

Bulldog have appartantly also started sync'ing the download speed to
the fastest your line can handle (including up to 8MB) and then
trottling you down to the promised 4MB.

This is being taken as an indication that they are looking to launch
faster services soon and they have already said they are looking at
ADSL2+ services as well (which run upto 18-24MB)

Regards
Sunil

Old April 4th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jacko

Sunil - It's interesting that you quote a user name for reference /
referral for Bulldog but you appear to use a Freeserve email account
- you wouldn't happen to work for Bulldog by any chance ???

Hence all the plugs

Old April 4th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"jacko" wrote in message
Sunil - It's interesting that you quote a user name for reference /
referral for Bulldog but you appear to use a Freeserve email account

I think you will find that lots of people including me, use email address
that doesn't "belong" to their ISP (which isn't difficult in my case as my
ISP(bulldog) doesn't actually provide me with an email account anyway)

- you wouldn't happen to work for Bulldog by any chance ???

I don't work for them but like several other ISP's they run a referral
scheme for existing customers to refer new ones - though I do post about
other things to Usenet and not just them....

Regards
Sunil