Should I let this NTL IP address through?

Old April 4th 05, 09:30 AM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,comp.security.firewalls
Brax

Default Should I let this NTL IP address through?

"Sandi" wrote in message
I am on NTL. What exactly is incoming IP address 80.7.172.78 trying
to do?

Sandi
------
DETAILS:

For about one day my Sygate firewall was trapping incoming contact
from that IP address 80.7.172.78 and sometimes flagging the contact
as "major" and sometimes as "minor".

Sometimes the contact was by TCP but most times there was no protocol
recorded. It did not try repeatedly if it doesn't get through but
just tried once.

I am on NTL and that IP address resolves to NTL but exactly what is
it address trying to do? S

descr: NTL-UK-IP-BLOCK
origin: AS5089
mnt-by: AS5089-MNT
changed: 20040929
source: RIPE

role: NTLI Network Management Centre
address: NTL Internet
address: Crawley Court
address: Winchester

80.7.172.78 traced to: cpc1-seve3-3-0-cust78.popl.cable.ntl.com

Old April 4th 05, 07:12 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,comp.security.firewalls
cw

"Brax" wrote in news:d2qtv7$1p5$3
@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

80.7.172.78 traced to: cpc1-seve3-3-0-cust78.popl.cable.ntl.com

Looks like just another customer machine so no point in letting it
through.
If everything is working fine then there's no need to open your computer
up.

--
Colin
Old April 5th 05, 11:58 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,comp.security.firewalls
David Wade

"cw" wrote in message
"Brax" wrote in news:d2qtv7$1p5$3
@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

80.7.172.78 traced to: cpc1-seve3-3-0-cust78.popl.cable.ntl.com

Looks like just another customer machine so no point in letting it
through.

Unless you are running a P2P package such as KazaLite, Morpheus, WinMX or
using an IP telepony service, or running some kind of server, but in general
for web surfing, POP e-mail, usenet news etc you don't need allow in bound
connects.