Should I let this NTL IP address through?

Old April 4th 05, 10:31 AM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,comp.security.firewalls
buzzbomb

Default Should I let this NTL IP address through?

Sandi wrote:
I am on NTL. What exactly is incoming IP address 80.7.172.78 trying
to do?

Sandi

------

DETAILS:

For about one day my Sygate firewall was trapping incoming contact
from that IP address 80.7.172.78 and sometimes flagging the contact
as "major" and sometimes as "minor".

Sometimes the contact was by TCP but most times there was no protocol
recorded. It did not try repeatedly if it doesn't get through but
just tried once.

I am on NTL and that IP address resolves to NTL but exactly what is
it address trying to do? S

descr: NTL-UK-IP-BLOCK
origin: AS5089
mnt-by: AS5089-MNT
changed: 20040929
source: RIPE

role: NTLI Network Management Centre
address: NTL Internet
address: Crawley Court
address: Winchester

Do you have the port number 80.7.172.78 is trying to connect to ?
Without that its only possible to make wild guesses as to what its
trying to do. As to whether or not to let it through - don't!!

B.
Old April 4th 05, 08:49 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,uk.telecom.broadband,comp.security.firewalls
buzzbomb

Sandi wrote:
On Mon 04 Apr 2005 10:31:12, buzzbomb wrote:

Sandi wrote:

[...]

Don't have the port numbers. They are no longer in the logs.

With no port number it could be anything from a deliberate malicious
crack attempt, to a trojan on the other guys machine to some P2P app
attempting to connect to an old cached address.

As a general rule NEVER allow anything to connect to you computer unless
you know what it it, where/who it comes from and are expecting it.

B.