Plusnet Broadband Plus SMTP question

Old April 5th 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Plusnet Broadband Plus SMTP question

I'm thinking of migrating from Pipex to Plusnet's 500k Broadband Plus
service. One thing concerns me on their features list:-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...features.shtml

No SMTP advanced mail delivery. I use a third party mail server
(Gmx.net), currently with my Pipex account (or any other ISP) I am able
to send mail using POP3 via mail.gmx.net through port 25.
Will I be able to do this via Plusnet ? Their sales chap I spoke to
didn't seem to understand what I was getting at.

Or does it just mean I cannot host my own mail server ? (something I do
not wish to do)

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Old April 5th 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vivian stanshall

Mark Carver wrote:

I'm thinking of migrating from Pipex to Plusnet's 500k Broadband Plus
service. One thing concerns me on their features list:-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...features.shtml

No SMTP advanced mail delivery. I use a third party mail server
(Gmx.net), currently with my Pipex account (or any other ISP) I am able
to send mail using POP3 via mail.gmx.net through port 25.
Will I be able to do this via Plusnet ? Their sales chap I spoke to
didn't seem to understand what I was getting at.

Or does it just mean I cannot host my own mail server ? (something I do
not wish to do)

You can't send mail using POP3 as POP3 is a receive-only protocol. By
using port 25 you are using SMTP which may be blocked by plusnet. It is
worth asking them if they block port 25 outgoing.
Old April 5th 05, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"vivian stanshall" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
Mark Carver wrote:

I'm thinking of migrating from Pipex to Plusnet's 500k Broadband Plus
service. One thing concerns me on their features list:-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...features.shtml

No SMTP advanced mail delivery. I use a third party mail server
(Gmx.net), currently with my Pipex account (or any other ISP) I am able
to send mail using POP3 via mail.gmx.net through port 25.
Will I be able to do this via Plusnet ? Their sales chap I spoke to
didn't seem to understand what I was getting at.

Or does it just mean I cannot host my own mail server ? (something I do
not wish to do)

You can't send mail using POP3 as POP3 is a receive-only protocol. By
using port 25 you are using SMTP which may be blocked by plusnet. It is
worth asking them if they block port 25 outgoing.

If they blocked port 25, wouldn't that stop *all* sending of mail, even from
apps such as Outlook Express or Outlook?

Old April 5th 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:40:15 UTC, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

You can't send mail using POP3 as POP3 is a receive-only protocol. By
using port 25 you are using SMTP which may be blocked by plusnet. It is
worth asking them if they block port 25 outgoing.

If they blocked port 25, wouldn't that stop *all* sending of mail, even from
apps such as Outlook Express or Outlook?

They probably block it on the 'far' side, so that you can get to their
server but not to any other. Or they transparently redirect all port 25
connections to go to their own server (FreeServe used to do this).

That's assuming they block it, of course. Their web pages are far from
clear...they obviously allow people to run mail servers on some
accounts, but it's not clear exactly which and what is allowed.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 5th 05, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

vivian stanshall wrote:
You can't send mail using POP3 as POP3 is a receive-only protocol. By
using port 25 you are using SMTP which may be blocked by plusnet.

PlusNet support staff make a big point about how PN does not block
any ports.

The single exception to this, however, is that if you send traffic on
port 135 you get put on a "possible trojan" blacklist - which is not
unreasonable considering there should be no port 135 traffic outside
one's LAN.)

To recap, I'm a PN customer and I run my own SMTP server. Nothing's
blocked for me.

Chris
Old April 5th 05, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lorian

wrote in message

To recap, I'm a PN customer and I run my own SMTP server. Nothing's
blocked for me.

But It looks like your SMTP server would be blocked if you moved to the new
plusnet "plus" account like the OP is talking about.

Old April 5th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Watson

Mark Carver wrote:
I'm thinking of migrating from Pipex to Plusnet's 500k Broadband Plus
service. One thing concerns me on their features list:-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...features.shtml

No SMTP advanced mail delivery. I use a third party mail server
(Gmx.net), currently with my Pipex account (or any other ISP) I am able
to send mail using POP3 via mail.gmx.net through port 25.
Will I be able to do this via Plusnet ? Their sales chap I spoke to
didn't seem to understand what I was getting at.

Or does it just mean I cannot host my own mail server ? (something I do
not wish to do)

I think it means that the PlusNet mail server will not deliver mail to
you via SMTP - As the 'Plus' product doesn't give you a static IP
address, their method of configuring SMTP won't work. See:

http://portal.plus.net/support/email/smtpmail.shtml

Peter

Old April 5th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Peter Watson wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

I'm thinking of migrating from Pipex to Plusnet's 500k Broadband Plus
service. One thing concerns me on their features list:-

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...features.shtml

No SMTP advanced mail delivery. I use a third party mail server
(Gmx.net), currently with my Pipex account (or any other ISP) I am
able to send mail using POP3 via mail.gmx.net through port 25.
Will I be able to do this via Plusnet ? Their sales chap I spoke to
didn't seem to understand what I was getting at.

Or does it just mean I cannot host my own mail server ? (something I
do not wish to do)

I think it means that the PlusNet mail server will not deliver mail to
you via SMTP - As the 'Plus' product doesn't give you a static IP
address, their method of configuring SMTP won't work. See:

http://portal.plus.net/support/email/smtpmail.shtml

Right, thanks, therefore it seems to be OK for my application ? In any
case my present Pipex connection has a dynamic IP allocation so that
obviously has no bearing on my ability to send and collect mail from
Gmx's server. Mail *collection* via POP3 is normally possible from any
other ISP's mail server, it's sending that's sometimes a problem ?

--
Mark