VOIPBuster - anyone tried it?

Old April 6th 05, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mal Franks

Default VOIPBuster - anyone tried it?

Call 18866 who we use for my wife to phone her mum in the US are
currently pimping voipbuster.com - a VOIP service which is offering Free
VOIP calls to other users and to UK, US and German landlines. Can phone
other countries but that does incur charges.

Anyone tried them?

Cheers

Mal
Old April 6th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:22:27 +0100, Mal Franks
wrote:

Call 18866 who we use for my wife to phone her mum in the US are
currently pimping voipbuster.com - a VOIP service which is offering Free
VOIP calls to other users and to UK, US and German landlines. Can phone
other countries but that does incur charges.

I haven't tried it but if you're ringing the US use 1899 for land line
calls it's only a 3p connection charge per call at the moment.
Old April 6th 05, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wooosh

Call 18866 who we use for my wife to phone her mum in the US are
currently pimping voipbuster.com - a VOIP service which is offering Free
VOIP calls to other users and to UK, US and German landlines. Can phone
other countries but that does incur charges.

Anyone tried them?

Downloaded and working a treat.

You need to buy 5Euro of credit to get started and get your 0845 *******
VoIP number allocated to you.

Old April 6th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

wooosh wrote:
Call 18866 who we use for my wife to phone her mum in the US are
currently pimping voipbuster.com - a VOIP service which is offering Free
VOIP calls to other users and to UK, US and German landlines. Can phone
other countries but that does incur charges.

Anyone tried them?

Downloaded and working a treat.

You need to buy 5Euro of credit to get started and get your 0845 *******
VoIP number allocated to you.

When I ran the download it tried to install a disc wiping programme
called Wipe and run it. Fortunately I have enough controls in place
that I could deny it the ability to do so. It may be something odd here
but proceed with caution.

Tony
Old April 7th 05, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:51:34 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

wooosh wrote:
Call 18866 who we use for my wife to phone her mum in the US are
currently pimping voipbuster.com - a VOIP service which is offering Free
VOIP calls to other users and to UK, US and German landlines. Can phone
other countries but that does incur charges.

Anyone tried them?

Downloaded and working a treat.

You need to buy 5Euro of credit to get started and get your 0845 *******
VoIP number allocated to you.

When I ran the download it tried to install a disc wiping programme
called Wipe and run it. Fortunately I have enough controls in place
that I could deny it the ability to do so. It may be something odd here
but proceed with caution.

Tony

The VOIPBUSTER.EXE is a self extracting zip archive, it expands these
files into windows\temp and runs the install from there, if you
already have a setup.exe in that directory, the voip expand may not
over write it, so when it comes to running setup.exe it will run
whatever program has left setup.exe in the directory - either clean
out ALL the files and sub directories in windows\temp or use winzip to
extract the files to a specific directory [winzip - open and point it
to voipbuster.exe) and run setup.exe from that directory.

To use the program for 18866 outbound calls register with your phone
number prefixed with 18866 as user and password as your account
number.

To get incoming calls register with a user name and password then when
registered go to their site and add credits.

ONE problem I cannot see how you can use 18866 for out bound calls and
their 0845 number for inbound calls at the same time, it appears to be
one or the other. So if you register for inbound calls, and dial out
you will be using up your credits.

This is not the cheapest way to get an inbound number and of course
costs whoever is calling you the 0845 rate.

Suggest xten-lite software - get yourself a free uk geographical
number from Sipgate, and you can set up 18866 voip (and/or 1899) with
the sipgate inbound number as you wish, it will handle multiple
accounts - voipbuster uses the IAX protocoll.

On all voip proggies there are
(can be) problems if you have routers with NAT/firewalls, you will
need to do a little research on this.