3Com OfficeConnect router problem.

Old April 6th 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default 3Com OfficeConnect router problem.

Hi,

I purchased a 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72 wireless ADSL router last week to replace
my USB modem. My ISP is PIPEX and the problem is that the connection to
PIPEX gets dropped every now and again. The router doesn't lose sync with
the line but the ISP connection drops. The log file shows stuff like this.

04/05/2005 22:05:48 ATM1 get IP
04/05/2005 22:05:44 ADSL Media Up !
04/05/2005 22:05:44 ADSL Media Down !
04/05/2005 22:05:44 ADSL Media Up !
04/05/2005 22:05:44 ADSL Media Down !
04/05/2005 22:05:44 ADSL Media Up !
04/05/2005 22:05:44 ADSL Media Down !

What I don't understand is why the router thinks the ADSL line has gone down
and why it goes up and down so rapidly - if it was losing sync, the up would
be around 20 seconds after the down. My USB modem only very occasionally
dropped the line and made me redial - something like 3 times since my ADSL
was installed 6 months ago, normally it would stay up for days without a
redial or system reboot.

The router automatically reconnects but it's a pain getting chucked out of
online games, getting a disconnected from xbox live message and bittorrent
seems a bit unhappy when my routers IP changes. The glitch happened twice
last night at 7pm and 10pm(ish) and there doesn't seem to be anything
connected to the glitches - phone didn't ring or anything like that. I'm
keeping track of these glitches just to see if they only happen on the
evening. I can't believe the USB modem gave a more reliable connection that
this router.

Does anyone have any clues on anything I can do to stop these glitches? Is
it a PIPEX problem as the line doesn't lose sync, a firmware issue or just
something to put up with? I'm running 1.07 of the firmware (haven't tried
the 1.06, the firmware that was on the router when it arrived wouldn't even
connect up to the ISP), my attentuation is 63db, SNR margin is 11db

Thanks for any help.

Dave.

Old September 9th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ofersa

Hi Dave,

I've just got the same modem couple of days ago and got the sam
problem.
did you succeeded to fix that problem or did you needed to replace it.

Best regards,
Ofe

--
ofersa
Old September 10th 05, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi I have also just had the same problem but I only get one connect in
around 20 tries. Any solution found?

Regards,

Vic

Old September 11th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 10 Sep 2005 13:22, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Can you remind us what the problem is? My news server is no longer holding
the original post.

The Plus.Net server shows 35,925 headers (though to be fair, any prior to mid
October 2004 are not available)... Time to use a decent news service :-) Or
(at least before asking for someone to repost try http://groups.google.com/
and enter the Message ID {in the 'advanced search' section}) Peter M.

Old September 11th 05, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

poster wrote:

On 10 Sep 2005 13:22, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Can you remind us what the problem is? My news server is no longer
holding the original post.

The Plus.Net server shows 35,925 headers (though to be fair, any
prior to mid October 2004 are not available)... Time to use a decent
news service :-) Or (at least before asking for someone to repost
try http://groups.google.com/ and enter the Message ID {in the

So are you saying that news.individual.net *isn't* a decent news service?
I've now found the original post - posted in March or April - and this
*isn't* on my server - unless I've pressed Catchup since then, and my PC
hasn't downloaded the headers.

Anyway, despite your unhelpful comment, I've learnt a new trick of looking
up message headers in Goggle - so thanks for that, at any rate!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 11th 05, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

Default news servers / old posts (was about 3Com problem)

On 11 Sep 2005 15:54, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

poster wrote:

On 10 Sep 2005 13:22, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Can you remind us what the problem is? My news server is no longer
holding the original post.

The Plus.Net server shows 35,925 headers (though to be fair, any
prior to mid October 2004 are not available)... Time to use a decent
news service :-) Or (at least before asking for someone to repost
try http://groups.google.com/ and enter the Message ID {in the

So are you saying that news.individual.net *isn't* a decent news service?

No, hence the smiley. Just pointing out that there are mixed benefits /
drawbacks when using different news servers.... Clearly there have been
problems with the Plus.Net news service, but while it has spells when it
is less than wonderful, for text groups it has long retention.

I've now found the original post - posted in March or April - and this
*isn't* on my server - unless I've pressed Catchup since then, and my PC
hasn't downloaded the headers.

No, the post is unlikely to be on many servers, after this time. I had
already checked a couple of others for it, but since your ISP is Plus.Net
I felt it worth pointing out for you (and anyone else) that the post was
still available, along with many more. SO, now you have managed to find
it, what server did you use for it ? Certainly I downloaded it back at
the time it was posted and it is still held by Agent, but to check I was
using Mozilla, to be sure (before posting) that it is still at Plus.Net,
so my statement was factually correct... People have previously "lost"
posts when using MS Outlook Expres, to be sure, or the settings do not
show posts they have alreay viewed, etc, etc. About the only reason
I'd use it these days is because it is handy to compare several news
services quickly. Generally what one posts is *not* WYSIWYG and there
are various other "features" I can do without :-)

Anyway, despite your unhelpful comment,

Which bit was unhelpful ?
o The bit saying Plus.Net has the posting ?
o The joke about 'getting a decent news service' ?
o The bit about how to get the posting from a message ID ?

I've learnt a new trick of looking up message headers in Goggle -
so thanks for that, at any rate!

Ah, so there was something of value... I should have added (regarding
posts via Google) unless the bl**dy idiot decides to force "No Archive" !!

Old September 11th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

poster wrote:

So are you saying that news.individual.net *isn't* a decent news
service?

No, hence the smiley. Just pointing out that there are mixed
benefits / drawbacks when using different news servers.... Clearly
there have been problems with the Plus.Net news service, but while it
has spells when it is less than wonderful, for text groups it has
long retention.

I used to be with Freeserve - and moved to news.individual.net to make it
easy to change ISP without having to set up all my news accounts again. I
*do* use PN - but only for those things like announcements which are not
available elsewhere.

SO, now you have
managed to find it, what server did you use for it ?

None - I found it on Google!

Anyway, despite your unhelpful comment,

Which bit was unhelpful ?

The implication that I was idle! I have one of these routers and thought
that I might be able to help. [In the event I can't]. I took *reasonable*
(in my opinion, anyway!g) steps to find the original post. A more helpful
response would have been to quote the original question - since you
presumably had access to it.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 11th 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 11 Sep 2005, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

A more helpful response would have been to quote the original question
- since you presumably had access to it.

a) If it had been 5 lines not 40+, I might

b) similarly, if you had a valid reply-to mail address it would have been
an option to forward the original there

c) the fact it is on the Plus.Net server made it less necessary, but if
one uses MS OE, then even the 'references:' header cannot be used by
itself, as MickeyShaft needs "news:{message ID}" to work, unlike any
number of other news readers, so you would be unable to simply jump
to the posting by clicking the message ID, unlike other news users.

d) you've learned more by having to use Google to find it (I did that,
too, before posting, to be sure it wasn't set to "No Archive").

Old September 12th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"ofersa" wrote in message
news

Hi Dave,

I've just got the same modem couple of days ago and got the same
problem.
did you succeeded to fix that problem or did you needed to replace it.

I suspect you're talking to me! Im at work so can't look up the original
question but I'm guessing its something to do with disconnects. I installed
the latest firmware (V2.05) and that appears to have resolved my issues and
problems.

Best regards,
Ofer

--