Router auto reconnect

Old April 6th 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bf206

Default Router auto reconnect

I've had an Actiontec Wireless ADSL router/modem for the last few
years and it's worked fine. For the last few months, though, I've been
getting loss of connectivity, ever few hours on average - sometimes
more, sometimes less. The weird thing is that I lose synch briefly,
then the WAN light comes back but you can't get online. The router
settings wrongly claim the router is still "connected" - although, if
you disconnect, then reconnect it works fine. Somehow the router's not
picking the connection back up when it's lost.

I've tried absolutely everything. Reinstalling Windows (and yes, I've
checked all the power management settings etc), a different computer,
different TCP/IP & DHCP settings, another router, a USB modem - all
with the same result. BT have come down, have replaced absolutely
every bit of wire to the nearest telegraph pole and they're clueless,
as (unsurprisingly) is the ISP - the dreaded Tiscali. BT seem certain
it can't be the ISP though.

Anyway, I wondered whether as a last resort I should try buying a new
router - but one that has an "auto reconnect" feature. Looking around,
I've seen various routers that say they have this - although I always
thought the point of a router was to automatically reconnect, but
never mind...

Can anyone recommend a wireless router/modem with this feature?
Old April 7th 05, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"bf206" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I've just bought a 3Com OfficeConnect 3CRWDR100A-72 which came with a free
wireless PCMCIA card from EBuyer (yes I know). The router is working fine
except it's occasionally dropping the ISP connection which my USB modem
didn't do. However, I can guarantee that the auto reconnect feature does
work on this router but it probably won't solve your disconnect problem.

Dave.

Old April 7th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bf206

Cool. Cheers for that. Yeah, since BT and the ISP don't even know the
cause of the disconnect, if I can at least get it to automatically
reconnect that'll solve the problem really.

Dave wrote:
om...

Old April 7th 05, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 7 Apr 2005 01:49:32 -0700, "bf206" wrote:

Cool. Cheers for that. Yeah, since BT and the ISP don't even know the
cause of the disconnect, if I can at least get it to automatically
reconnect that'll solve the problem really.

I had a simlar problem with a 3com router, and it turned out to be a
bad power supply. Some routers seem to be sensitive to fluctuating
power levels.