About to get Broadband in our area

Old April 7th 05, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

Default About to get Broadband in our area

I have been informed that Broadband will be available in my area on the 27th
April.
Is there any tips or advice for a new subscriber.
Is it straightforward and easy?
Blair

Old April 7th 05, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:39:17 UTC, "Blair"
wrote:

I have been informed that Broadband will be available in my area on the 27th
April.
Is there any tips or advice for a new subscriber.

Don't assume you have to buy it from BT (even though they would like you
to think so). In reality, most people *don't* use BT, although their BT
phone line is still used.

Look at:

http://www.adslguide.org

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 7th 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Blair" wrote in message
I have been informed that Broadband will be available in my area on the
27th
April.
Is there any tips or advice for a new subscriber.
Is it straightforward and easy?
Blair

Don't expect the speed you are paying for!
Expect half of it....

Old April 7th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:18:11 +0100, "James"
wrote:

"Blair" wrote in message
I have been informed that Broadband will be available in my area on the
27th
April.
Is there any tips or advice for a new subscriber.
Is it straightforward and easy?
Blair

Don't expect the speed you are paying for!
Expect half of it....

Most people do seem to be getting pretty well what they are paying
for.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Don't hate yourself in the morning - sleep till noon.

Old April 7th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

wrote:

"Blair" wrote in message
I have been informed that Broadband will be available in my area on the
27th
April.
Is there any tips or advice for a new subscriber.
Is it straightforward and easy?
Blair

Don't expect the speed you are paying for!
Expect half of it....

Most people do seem to be getting pretty well what they are paying
for.

My parents are with Force9 (PlusNet). They recently had their line upgraded
from 512K to 2M. I did a speed test (from Force9's portal) on a Saturday
afternoon when you might expect a fair amount of contention. And the data
transfer came out at about 190-200 KB/sec - pretty much what you'd expect
for 2 Mb/sec.

When I get broadband in a few days' time I'm going to taking speed readings
at various times of day to see how much it really does fluctuate because of
contention.

I can recommend Force9: I've had good service over dial-up for the past few
years and if I have the same quality of service over broadband as my parents
have, I'm be very pleased. The cost of broadband is very competitive:
15/month for 2MB with 1GB/month bandwidth limit or about 20/month for
"unlimited" (ie about 30GB/month) bandwidth limit.[*]

One recommendation I'd make if you're about to get broadband: either get a
router (which has a built-in firewall) or else get a good software firewall
(eg Norton) and keep your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs up-to-date.

[*] I use the commonly-used term "bandwidth" although technically that word
relates to data transfer rate (ie amount of usage of a frequency spectrum)
rather than quantity of data downloaded.

Old April 7th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pontarfynach

Blair wrote:
I have been informed that Broadband will be available in my area on the 27th
April.
Is there any tips or advice for a new subscriber.
Is it straightforward and easy?
Blair

Dear Mr Blair,

You will probably have much more time to surf the internet on your
broadband connection *after* 5th May.

You might want to hold off a few days.
Old April 7th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

"Blair" wrote in message
I have been informed that Broadband will be available in my area on the
27th
April.
Is there any tips or advice for a new subscriber.
Is it straightforward and easy?
Blair

Don't expect the speed you are paying for!

bear in mind you dont pay for a guaranteed speed, you pay for a
contended bandwidth, and anyway performance depends on both your end
and the rest of the internet and remote machine.

Expect half of it....

FWIW on ntl broadband I get 2Mb most of the time but it becomes much
slower during early evenings when all the kiddies are online gaming
and downloading p2p and pron.
Old April 7th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Blair" wrote in message
I have been informed that Broadband will be available in my area on the 27th
April.
Is there any tips or advice for a new subscriber.

Buy a router - wired or wired+wireless

Is it straightforward and easy?

Yes - depending on your telephone line. If your have a long/marginal phone
line, then you maybe in for some extra hassle.

--

Michael Chare