Best Offer for calls and BB??

Old April 7th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilÅ

Default Best Offer for calls and BB??

Hello

My mum currently uses a BT line, and a NTL dialer box.

Pays BT £10.99 for the line rental.

Pays NTL £15.00 But this gets her unlimited dial up internet at any time
and £15 worth of calls PCM.

So her total bill for the month is £25.99 gets her unlimited calls (she does
not use it much) and unlimited dial up.

So for the same price is there something she can get but with adsl BB, she
uses the internet about 5-8 hours a month so limited would be fine.

Old April 7th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

PhilÅ wrote:
Hello

My mum currently uses a BT line, and a NTL dialer box.

Pays BT £10.99 for the line rental.

Pays NTL £15.00 But this gets her unlimited dial up internet at
any time and £15 worth of calls PCM.

So her total bill for the month is £25.99 gets her unlimited calls
(she does not use it much) and unlimited dial up.

So for the same price is there something she can get but with adsl
BB, she uses the internet about 5-8 hours a month so limited would
be fine.

Does she have cable available in her street..? Switch to that and have
just the BB connection, no phone or TV. Then sign up for Sipgate and have
a rental-free phone number. Strongly recommend an ATA rather than a PC
based softphone though, the Grandstream ATA-486 as sold by Sipgate works
well in these circumstances.

I know Sipgate have had a few problems recently but things do seem to have
settled down now :-)

Ivor

Old April 7th 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:35:44 GMT, "PhilÅ"
wrote:

Hello

My mum currently uses a BT line, and a NTL dialer box.

Pays BT £10.99 for the line rental.
Pays NTL £15.00 But this gets her unlimited dial up internet at any time
and £15 worth of calls PCM.

So for the same price is there something she can get but with adsl BB, she
uses the internet about 5-8 hours a month so limited would be fine.

You can't escape the 10.99 - you need a BT phone line for ADSL unless
you live in some very very specific areas of the country, where the
local loop has been unbundled (in which case you pay someone else for
it).

I believe some ADSL providers do 256Kb for around 16 quid, try
www.adslguide.com for further details but Tiscali springs to mind. I
don't have any recommendations as I'm on cable.

Old April 7th 05, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
londoncityslicker

It hasn't quite started yet but wholesale line rental is kicking in.
If you wait a couple of months, you'll see just about everyone bundling
broadband with phone calls and line rental. All with ust one bill.
Hopefully prices will be competitive.

However to answer the posters question.
You can till pay £10.50 to BT (for now anyway)
You can get basic BB with a number of providers for £15.00
Check out the usual suspects like plusnet on www.adslguide.org.uk
And for the phone calls use 1899 for next to nothing calls.
That's about the closest you will get for now.

Only catch here is that you'll be paying three different companies and the
paperwork could be a hassle for your mum.

A.

Old April 7th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TP

If her use is limited, Metronet's Pay as You Go might be worth a look at:
http://www.metronet.co.uk/

A 512K package is £11.75/month for the first 200MB, then a quarter of a
penny for every meg thereafter to a maximum of £22.75 (at which point all
further usage is free for the month).

You'd also need some sort of email provision, either from Metronet
(£7.50/yr) or something like BT's premium mail for £1.50/month.

So to beat the money she's paying NTL, she'd need to keep under about 1 or 2
Gb a month, which if - as you say - she's a light user should be a doddle
(I've hardly gone over a Gb a month yet, and I'm on here most evenings for
30-120 mins)

Old April 7th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
My mum currently uses a BT line, and a NTL dialer box.

Pays BT £10.99 for the line rental.

Pays NTL £15.00 But this gets her unlimited dial up internet at any time
and £15 worth of calls PCM.

So her total bill for the month is £25.99 gets her unlimited calls (she
does not use it much) and unlimited dial up.

So for the same price is there something she can get but with adsl BB, she
uses the internet about 5-8 hours a month so limited would be fine.

It largely depends on how much of the £15 worth of calls she uses each month
?

Regards
Sunil

Old April 10th 05, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilÅ

Thanks for the replies.

Best I can see is stick with the BT for rental.

Then if I have read it right Talk Talk do 512K BB and free phone calls eve
weekends for a total of £19.99??