The UK in the backwater of technology - again!!!

Old April 7th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anorak

Default The UK in the backwater of technology - again!!!

Dutch ISP announces 20 Mbps broadband offering
Cable and Internet provider UPC Nederland has announced a new high speed
Internet offering - Chello Extreme - with a download speed of up to 20
Megabits per second (Mbps). It's the fastest broadband option so far offered
by a commercial Internet provider in the Netherlands. Unusually, the product
will be offered on both cable and ADSL platforms. The first city to get the
ADSL version will be Utrecht, and other places in the Netherlands will
follow.

UPC says that Chello Extreme is aimed at diehard Internetters, and users
such as families which want to have several computers online at once without
speed concessions. At a download speed of 20 Mbps, a download of a 7Gb movie
at DVD quality will take three quarters of an hour, compared to about 16
hours with a 1 Mbps connnection. The subscription price for Chello Extreme
is 79.95 euro a month, about the same as for 8 Mbps connections from some
other Internet providers

Old April 7th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In article , says...
[...]

You forgot to mention that this will only be available on fibre networks
& city rings (MANs?)
--
Mugwump

Reply to 'usenetmail{at}discworld{dot}org{dot}uk
Old April 7th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

and 55 a month! OK, the speed 20mbps is nice (up aswell?) but I would not
pay 55 for it. 40 a month seems to be a barrier I will not pass.

I'm quite content with 2Mb/s. I honestly do not need faster. 800MB an hour
is plently. However the upload speed 256Kb/s is really really feeling slow.
Anyone else think so?

Dan

Old April 7th 05, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anorak

"Dan" d.d.com wrote in message
and 55 a month! OK, the speed 20mbps is nice (up aswell?) but I would not
pay 55 for it. 40 a month seems to be a barrier I will not pass.

Yes but we don't even have this speed available in the UK anyway, max is
only 8 :-( Come on BT get up to speed..literally!

Old April 7th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Dan
writes
However the upload speed 256Kb/s is really really feeling slow. Anyone
else think so?

Funny how things change but YES!! And to think that I used to get all
excited when I got 33.6kbs up on dial up.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old April 8th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Anorak wrote:

"Dan" d.d.com wrote in message
and 55 a month! OK, the speed 20mbps is nice (up aswell?) but I would
not pay 55 for it. 40 a month seems to be a barrier I will not pass.

Yes but we don't even have this speed available in the UK anyway, max is
only 8 :-( Come on BT get up to speed..literally!

Or break them up. Or wait for proper LLU
so that small companies can stick their own modems
down the line and get a lot more speed for a lot less fees
than what BT$ can ever hope to manage.

Old April 8th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Anorak" wrote in message

Yes but we don't even have this speed available in the UK anyway, max is
only 8 :-( Come on BT get up to speed..literally!

Its currently aginst the ANFP for any ISP to offer ADSL2 and 2+ services
(i.e. faster than 8MB).

However, this will be changed later this year - hence LLU companies and BT
Wholesale now running trials of services with a max speed of 18-24MB

Regards
Sunil

Old April 8th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:18:43 GMT, 7
wrote:

stuff.

_____________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please do not |
/ O O\__ | feed the |
/ \ | Trolls |
/ \ \|_____________________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

Old April 9th 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 21:03:51 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

Its currently aginst the ANFP for any ISP to offer ADSL2 and 2+ services
(i.e. faster than 8MB).

However, this will be changed later this year - hence LLU companies and BT
Wholesale now running trials of services with a max speed of 18-24MB

But the BTw trial of ADSL2+ is in the (very) early stages , i.e. still
limited to BT staff. I can't help thinking that an actual rollout, since
that's likely to mean new technology going into the exchanges, is still
12-18 months away or more. I mean here we're talking about a company which
is even taking 6 months to trial a speed which UK Online already offers and
many other countries have had for years and (I assume, perhaps wrongly)
could actually be deployed more or less at the flick of a switch without
even requiring major new hardware on most exchanges. If that's how long
it's going to take to do that imagine how long a trial, in its much earlier
stages and involving new technology is going to take - ages.

I'll be very pleased to be proved wrong on this though....
Old April 9th 05, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

newsfe3-gui.ntli.net astroturfer for BT$ wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Same astroturfing turd for BT$ with a different account no doubt.

Legalise astro turfing now!
---------------------------

The rights of astro turfers are in danger because
they are continually bashed for fun.
This is not fair on the bashees and the bashers
because of nym shifting and other issues that are
making life difficult for point scoring to stick.
Astro turfing now is a big industry and part of
the landscape of the services industry with giants
like dci, bivings, atl, cagw, adti, edelman,
csws, olc, akaw, arcfcp, acsh, cse, nesarc,
bonner, burson, act, nsa, idc, giga, meta, apco,
hillard, ketchum, ogc, etc
employing hundreds of thousands of people.
Obviously employees must now be given extra rights
as authors of 100 million+ letters annually, with each
letter costing $500 or more per letter. The employees
see very little of that money, losing 98% of the income to
the proprietors for the unregulated businesses
they operate. Being part a legalized astro turfing
organisation can bring job security and improve
income which is the aim of this legislation quest.

The Engines of Democracy Astro Turfing Rights Bill
1. All astro turfers must register for employment and obtain employee ID.

2. Clients are nice people too, and deserve every contract to be
***to*be*displayed*openly*with*a*contract*ID*so*th at*everyone*may*know
***astroturfing*company*/*client*relationship*and*how*much*money
***has*parted*hands.*Particularly*important*for*po liticos*who
***are*worried*of*excessive*spending*by*the*other* side.

3. All astro turfers must show their employer registration ID, and client
***contract*ID*with*any*works*of*art*and*fiction*t hey*produce.
***In*return*legal*immunity*is*provided*to*the*ast ro*turfer,
***the*client*and*astroturfing*from*any*prosecutio n*for*opionins
***expressed,*except*for*anything*that*falls*under *existing*libel*laws.

4. Failure to do so can net unlimited liability for its employers
***and*the*clients*who*use*the*services.

5. This allows all astro turfed hooting tooting votes and opinions
***to*be*counted*as*just*one*vote*and*make*democra cy*work*fairly.

6. Bring astro turfing in line with current advertising rules
***i.e.*a.*they*must*be*factual
********b.*they*have*been*refereed
********c.*they*have*paid*tax

7. Any mis information reported by astro turfers is subject
***to*laws*of*libel,*and*through*use*of*employee*I D,*can
***render*the*employee,*the*employer*and*the*clien t*liable.

8. All astro turfers have the right to snitch on their employers
***and*clients*with*legal*protection*from*the*law* if*they
***choose*to*do*so.*That*is*employers and clients*must*not*compel
***employees*into*signing*any*agreements*that*proh ibit*their
***god*given*rights*of*freedom*of*speech.

9. Public companies must register transactions with astro turfing
***companies*and*make*available*to*investors*and*t he*SEC*the*full
***nature*of*the*contract*between*them*and*their*a stro*turfing
***companies*so*that*investors*can*be*confident*of *the*investments
***they*are*making,*and*that*it*is*not*based*on*fa ked*misinformation
***inadvertently*supplied*by*astro*turfers.

Client and Employer Misconduct
------------------------------

10. Should the employer or the Client is found to be in misconduct
***when*hiring*astro*turfers*to*put*out*incorrect* information,
***the*client*and*the*employer*gurantees*to*indemn ify*the*employee
***from*any*cost*arising*out*of*litigation.

Disabilities allowance
----------------------

11. Its widely accepted that disabled people and housewives
***are*used*for*astro*turfing*as*they*are*likely*t o*sit
***in*front*of*a*computer*and*type*out*nonsense*al l*day.
***For*those*disabled*people*that*are*housewives*o r*that*have*to
***operate*a*computer*without*an*arm,*or*a*leg,*or *a*brain,
***we*demand*that*pay*is*equal*to*that*of*fit*and* lifeless
***colleagues.

Career progression
------------------

12. No astro turd likes being called an idiot. Its un-winnable to argue
***a*point*when*you*are*an*astro*turd*and*have*no* qualifications.
***So*we*need*an*astro*turfing*institute*where*we* can*hoof*and*poof
***and*gain*merits*for*our*nefarious*activities.
***All*qualifications*shall*be*cited*with*employee *ID*and*client
***contract*ID*as*part*of*the*legal*requirement*to *become
***a*qualified*astro*turfer.

Puppet Master Authentication
----------------------------

13. Astro turfers have the right to know who they are ultimately working
***for.*Thus*we*propose*all*contracts*be*signed*by *the*actual
***puppet*master(s)*names*that*has*instigated*the* action*as*opposed
***to*their*paid*minions*or*suckered*bum*boys.*The re*can*be*no
***transferrance*of*this*responsibility.*I.e.*as*a *puppet*master,*you
***cannot*legally*claim*you*were*acting*under*orde rs.
***Each*named*person*must*take*full*personal*respo nsibility
***or*none*at*all*and*be*prosecuted*for*fraud.

1 April is Anuual Holiday
-------------------------

14. Most professions need a holiday like banks have
***bank*holiday.*It*is*proposed*1*April,*or*April* fool's*day
***is*a*national*astro*turfing*holiday.
***This*is*a*matter*of*deep*seated*tradition.
***Why*is*that?
***Because though*we*are fools, we don't*suffer other*fools.

Certified Accounts
------------------

15. When your astro turfing company wins something by
***faking*10,000+*people,*and*no*one*knows*if*the
***actual*figure*is*10*people,*15*people*or*150*pe ople
***that*manufactured*all*the*astroturfing*letters, *there*is
***a*need*for*actual*figures*to*be*available*when
***astroturfing*takes*down*somebody or something*or*the company
***completes*its*contract*so*that*those*who*lost*k now*how*so*few
***astroturds had*defeated*so*many*with*astroturfing*methodologi es.
***Scores*do*need*to*be*settled*later.
***Thus,*companies*must*keep*certified*accounts*of
***each*contract,*i.e.*how*many*people*they*used
***and*how*many*fake*letters and identities*they used to send it
***all*out,*and*in*particular,*how*many*votes*they *manufactured
***through*company*activities.

Pay Rise
--------

16. Pay rise is a sentitive topic. All astrotufers and their
***companies*are*entitled*to*pay*rises,*but*employ er*and/or
***the*client*may*refuse.*Well*if*clients*did*any* business*in*the
***past*through*you,*then*you*must*use*those*recor ds*and*offer*to
***repost*them*with*summaries*to*clarify*the*situa tion.
***In*this*way,*employers*and*employees*can*benefi t*from*pay*rises
***by*invoicing*the*client*spuriously*on*a*whim.
***We*demand*that*this*practice*is*legalized*along
***with*legalizing*astroturfing.

Psycho Councilling
-----------------

17. Astro turfing can force you to hide your identities
***and*create*new*identities*to*decieve*your*frien ds*in*newsgroups
***and*social*groups*your*asked*to*join*and*destro y.
***Normal*humans*can't*live*with*the*constant*lies ,*deceit,*nym*shifting
***and*ass*covering*tactics*of*a*habbitual*astro*t urfer.
***Astroturfers*can*become*internet*psycho*with*so *many
***personalities*that*its*impossible*to*tell*one*p ersonality*from
***another,*and*it*is*known*for*astroturds*to*quar rel*with*other
***posters*despite*them*other*posters*being*themse lves
***and*their*own*sock*puppets!
***Astro*turfers*need*constant*psycho*councilling* and*it*is*not
***to*be*deducted*from*wages*these*costs.