ADSL faceplates

Old April 7th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rk

Default ADSL faceplates

I have just had a BT install a phone line, however it was a bit
different to how I expected.

To explain briefly the house had 3 phone wires none of which were
connected that met at the side of the house. One from the phone pole,
one from a master socket downstairs and one from a bedroom. Basically
the enginner joined all three wires outside the house. I was expecting
him to join the wire from the pole and the master socket and to connect
the bedroom wire to the master socket, as a slave. I want to get ADSL
faceplates to try to avoid using the dangling microfilters.

I understand that I can get master face place to fit on the downstairs
master, but can anyone advise on what sort of faceplate I need to go in
the upstairs bedroom (for voice and ADSL).

Thanks in advance

rk
Old April 7th 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Go
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-around-the-home.htm

Good advice
Good Product

Old April 7th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

I have just had a BT install a phone line, however it was a bit different
to how I expected.

To explain briefly the house had 3 phone wires none of which were
connected that met at the side of the house. One from the phone pole, one
from a master socket downstairs and one from a bedroom. Basically the
enginner joined all three wires outside the house. I was expecting him to
join the wire from the pole and the master socket and to connect the
bedroom wire to the master socket, as a slave. I want to get ADSL
faceplates to try to avoid using the dangling microfilters.

I understand that I can get master face place to fit on the downstairs
master, but can anyone advise on what sort of faceplate I need to go in
the upstairs bedroom (for voice and ADSL).

Be careful about how and where you install the faceplates. If my memory
serves me correctly (stands back for a flood of corrections...) a faceplate
will terminate the ADSL signal at that box, so additional extension sockets
will not be able to receive an ADSL signal.

I think.

Old April 7th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Bob C" wrote in message
[...]

Thta happened to me with a plug-in filter. When the filter was plugged-in
downstairs I could no longer connect to ADSL upstairs. I had to take out the
downstairs filter, run an ordinary extension upstairs and then split the
signal between ADSL and phone.

(kim)

Old April 7th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

rk wrote:

I have just had a BT install a phone line, however it was a bit
different to how I expected.

To explain briefly the house had 3 phone wires none of which were
connected that met at the side of the house. One from the phone pole,
one from a master socket downstairs and one from a bedroom. Basically
the enginner joined all three wires outside the house. I was expecting
him to join the wire from the pole and the master socket and to
connect the bedroom wire to the master socket, as a slave. I want to
get ADSL faceplates to try to avoid using the dangling microfilters.

I understand that I can get master face place to fit on the downstairs
master, but can anyone advise on what sort of faceplate I need to go
in the upstairs bedroom (for voice and ADSL).

Thanks in advance

rk

The wires may be *joined* outside - but I wouldn't mind betting that the
wiring to the master socket brings the incoming pair *in*, and then takes
the extension wiring *out* - where it goes on to the other (slave) sockets.
So the effect will be the same as if you had extension wiring going directly
from the master to the slaves.

If you fit an ADSL faceplate (from Solwise or Clarity) in place of the
standard faceplate in your master socket, the extension (slave) socket will
be automatically filtered and won't support ADSL devices. If you don't want
to use individual filter/splitters, the thing to do is to use one of the
modified ADSL faceplates which Clarity provide. This has provision for
connecting both analog and digital extensions into the back. So you can run
an (unfiltered) digital extension to wherever you want to plug in your ADSL
kit - leaving the existing (filtered) extensions for phones and other analog
equipment.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old April 8th 05, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

http://www.clarity.it make a modified BT faceplate that gives you separated
filters phones _and_ ADSL out the back. I use this very successfully. What
you do is the following...

1. Replace all your 3-core (or at least the leg to where the computer will
be) with good 6 core (or CAT-5/6 if you have some or can get some cheaply).
2. Run the regular 3 phone wires as are they are now.
3. Use two of the remaining wires to run the ADSL.
4. Where you want ADSL, replace the faceplate with a "double phone + ADSL"
faceplate (Clarity and others sell these) and wire accordingly.
5. Plug your computer into the new ADLS socket and surf away!

WARNING: Obviously leave the master faceplate unplugged whilst you're
wiring up the other ends of the extensions.

Alternatively, if you must stick with the existing 3-core, you will have to
put filters everywhere because, as others have said, the output from a
standard ADSL BT master socket faceplat is "phones only".

Paul DS.

Old April 8th 05, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rk

Tiscali Tim wrote:

[...]

Just checked this by removing the lower part of the master and there are
*no* wires connected to it. Does this mean I effectively have 2 masters?

Cheers

rk
Old April 8th 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvo

Try this and works fine for me same sort of postion,
http://www.qtds.com/code/products.asp?catid=47
3.90 + vat, tried all the usual connections for the wires upstairs, no way
would it work with normal
bt ext sockets, using 2 3 and so tried this as last resort and connected the
blue/white band to A and
white/blue band to B on the back to the adsl connection, and kept my filter
downstairs on master
for my Dect phones and base station (3 phones) and it works fine, hope this
helps.....
got the adsl wireless router from there aswell swamr-54108 and it is great
for the price!!!!!!
long reach line 57 db now reported instead of 63 before on westell 2400
router on 1mb ))

Old April 8th 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

rk wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:

[...]

Possibly - or even 3! What sort of sockets are at the other locations, and
how are they wired internally?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old April 8th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rk

Tiscali Tim wrote:

Possibly - or even 3! What sort of sockets are at the other locations, and
how are they wired internally?

The other socket is in the bedroom. It is the same size as a master, but
the faceplate has dual sockets so 2 phones can by plugged in.

The engineer told me that only the left socket is active. Taking a look
inside there are two wires connected to the faceplate.

Cheers

rk