Could interference from my PC cause my router to disconnect?

Old April 8th 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Could interference from my PC cause my router to disconnect?

I posted a few days ago about my 3Com router randomly disconnecting. At the
time the router was right next to the side of the PC. On Thursday I moved
it about a metre away from the PC nearer to the phone socket and it's not
dropped a connection since then. Don't know if this is coincidence but I'll
move the router back again over the weekend and see if the dropped
connections start up again. Could the PC really have been causing the
problem?

Cheers.

Dave.

Old April 8th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:03:26 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

I posted a few days ago about my 3Com router randomly disconnecting. At the
time the router was right next to the side of the PC. On Thursday I moved
it about a metre away from the PC nearer to the phone socket and it's not
dropped a connection since then. Don't know if this is coincidence but I'll
move the router back again over the weekend and see if the dropped
connections start up again. Could the PC really have been causing the
problem?

Its possible. Many routers seem to be quite susceptible to power
supply fluctuations, and bad RF from a dodgy PSU on the computer might
mollock with it.

Old April 8th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

I posted a few days ago about my 3Com router randomly disconnecting. At

the
time the router was right next to the side of the PC. On Thursday I

moved
it about a metre away from the PC nearer to the phone socket and it's not
dropped a connection since then. Don't know if this is coincidence but

I'll
move the router back again over the weekend and see if the dropped
connections start up again. Could the PC really have been causing the
problem?

Its possible. Many routers seem to be quite susceptible to power
supply fluctuations, and bad RF from a dodgy PSU on the computer might
mollock with it.

The router was inches away from the PC PSU so maybe you're right. Wish I
hadn't opened that support call with 3Com now.

Old April 8th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Nigel M" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, Mark McIntyre wrote:

Its possible.

I agree, but it could also be a dodgy connection on the WAN lead.

I've also replaced the lead between the phone socket and the RJ45 socket on
the back of the router - I assume this is the WAN lead? I wish I had the
time to test everything in isolation to work out exactly what was\is
wrong!!!

--
Nigel M

"Time may be a great healer,
but he's a lousy beautician"

Old April 8th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

Dave wrote:
I posted a few days ago about my 3Com router randomly disconnecting. At the
time the router was right next to the side of the PC. On Thursday I moved
it about a metre away from the PC nearer to the phone socket and it's not
dropped a connection since then. Don't know if this is coincidence but I'll
move the router back again over the weekend and see if the dropped
connections start up again. Could the PC really have been causing the
problem?

Cheers.

Dave.

Hi there,

Believe it or not, we've had occasions where similar problems have been
caused by a neighbours TV set

Kind Regards,

Old April 8th 05, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

PlusNet Support wrote:
Dave wrote:
I posted a few days ago about my 3Com router randomly disconnecting.
At the time the router was right next to the side of the PC. On
Thursday I moved it about a metre away from the PC nearer to the
phone socket and it's not dropped a connection since then. Don't
know if this is coincidence but I'll move the router back again over
the weekend and see if the dropped connections start up again. Could the
PC really have been causing the problem?

Cheers.

Dave.

Hi there,

Believe it or not, we've had occasions where similar problems have
been caused by a neighbours TV set

Kind Regards,

Don't forget, Xmas tree lights, fridges, central heating systems & any other
electrical system. Even know of one site whose car park lighting system
knocked the ADSL out everytime the time switch turned them on (it was done
via a very large relay system which kicked out a lot of RF when it opened &
closed)...

Old April 9th 05, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveB

"kraftee" [email protected]&die wrote in message
PlusNet Support wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

It's a very underestimated problem. Add fluorescent lights and street
lights to the list. A way to identify sources of RF noise that tends to
upset ADSL is to tune a long wave radio off station and listen for weird
noises at different locations.

Old April 9th 05, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Please got www.american-technical-resources.com to findsolid state
solutions to surges, transients rfi and emi interference. moving
equipment is always a great solution if it works and is practicle. for
critical problem soutions consider the telecom products for wild
solutions that have been produced for over 30 years

Old April 9th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:
Please got
www.us-technical-resources.spam to findsolid state
solutions to surges, transients rfi and emi interference. moving
equipment is always a great solution if it works and is practicle.
for critical problem soutions consider the telecom products for wild
solutions that have been produced for over 30 years

Oh look someone couldn't resist to try & promote their own company, one
problem imediately springs to mind is that there is a voltage difference
between the US (in more ways than one) & the UK....