upset + need help

Old April 9th 05, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tracymidd

Default upset + need help

Hi I am moving to a remote place which doesn't have BB, when I took the
place on, I asked if it had Phone line etc the landlord said yes, now I have
found out it doesn't have, so according to BT I have to pay 75 to have one
installed, so my questions are.
Does anyone else provide phone installation etc (except NTL as they are not
out there) or is it only BT ......
also
Since BB isn't out there yet, (although NTL say they offer a freedom service
which will give me BB and Tesco offer some sort of BB) But BT say the speed
wont be too good. and advised me to wait until it is available properly..
etc
If BB is not an option, I will need Dial up, so does anyone know what the
best deal on dial up is please, ...
Thanks for your Help
Tracym

Old April 9th 05, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:00:50 GMT, "tracymidd"
wrote:

Hi I am moving to a remote place which doesn't have BB, when I took the
place on, I asked if it had Phone line etc the landlord said yes, now I have
found out it doesn't have, so according to BT I have to pay 75 to have one
installed, so my questions are.
Does anyone else provide phone installation etc (except NTL as they are not
out there) or is it only BT ......
also
Since BB isn't out there yet, (although NTL say they offer a freedom service
which will give me BB and Tesco offer some sort of BB) But BT say the speed
wont be too good. and advised me to wait until it is available properly..
etc
If BB is not an option, I will need Dial up, so does anyone know what the
best deal on dial up is please, ...
Thanks for your Help
Tracym

Tracy,

You're in luck.

There's one Telco that has a mandate to supply a phone service no
matter where you happen to reside in the UK. You guessed it, BT.

I personally look forward to the day when the whole industry is thrown
wide open to the point where you stand no chance of receiving even a
basic telephone service outside of cityville, but that doesn't matter
because "7" will get 100Mbps broadband service in his urban location
for 0.02 per month. And that's the only thing that's important.

Jake

Old April 9th 05, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Muxton" wrote in message

Tracy,

You're in luck.

There's one Telco that has a mandate to supply a phone service no
matter where you happen to reside in the UK. You guessed it, BT.

I personally look forward to the day when the whole industry is thrown
wide open to the point where you stand no chance of receiving even a
basic telephone service outside of cityville, but that doesn't matter
because "7" will get 100Mbps broadband service in his urban location
for 0.02 per month. And that's the only thing that's important.

Jake

LMFAO !!!!

Nice one, Jake :-)

Old April 9th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Hi I am moving to a remote place which doesn't have BB, when I took the
place on, I asked if it had Phone line etc the landlord said yes, now I
have found out it doesn't have

Ask the landlord to sort it out ?

Old April 9th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"tracymidd" wrote in message
Hi I am moving to a remote place which doesn't have BB, when I took the
place on, I asked if it had Phone line etc the landlord said yes, now I

have
found out it doesn't have, so according to BT I have to pay 75 to have

one
installed, so my questions are.
Does anyone else provide phone installation etc (except NTL as they are

not
out there) or is it only BT ......

Yep its only BT, Who it will spend far more than 75 to provide you with the
line, So think your self lucky that you dont have to pay the true cost.
Remember other operators are only intersted in profitable customers, Rual
lines do not make money, Even a urban new install takes nearly 3 years to
break even.

also
Since BB isn't out there yet, (although NTL say they offer a freedom

service
which will give me BB and Tesco offer some sort of BB)

But BT say the speed
wont be too good. and advised me to wait until it is available properly..
etc

?????????? Either you can or cant get BB which is it?

If BB is not an option, I will need Dial up, so does anyone know what the
best deal on dial up is please, ...

Nope.

Old April 9th 05, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"tracymidd" wrote in message
Since BB isn't out there yet, (although NTL say they offer a freedom
service which will give me BB and Tesco offer some sort of BB)

Both NTL's "freedom" service and Tesco's broadband offerings are ADSL based
and they rely on BT Wholesale having enabled the exchange for ADSL (in which
case you could get almost any ADSL ISP)

Have a look and see what http://www.bt.com/broadband says for your new
place - as you don't have a BT phone, try the postcode checker to see if
your exchange is enabled for ADSL.

As for dial-up.. try looking somewhere like http://www.ispreview.co.uk for
ideas.

Regards
Sunil

Old April 9th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

tracymidd wrote:
Hi I am moving to a remote place which doesn't have BB, when I took the
place on, I asked if it had Phone line etc the landlord said yes, now I have
found out it doesn't have, so according to BT I have to pay 75 to have one
installed, so my questions are.
Does anyone else provide phone installation etc (except NTL as they are not
out there) or is it only BT ......
also
Since BB isn't out there yet, (although NTL say they offer a freedom service
which will give me BB and Tesco offer some sort of BB) But BT say the speed
wont be too good. and advised me to wait until it is available properly..
etc
If BB is not an option, I will need Dial up, so does anyone know what the
best deal on dial up is please, ...
Thanks for your Help
Tracym

You are lucky in that BT has no choice but to provide a line at the
standard charge. If you want broadband you could look at some of the
satellite packages - modem upload, satellite download - if the line
doesn't do ADSL. Or check the signals and get an unlimited package on a
3G/GPRS data card from Orange, Vodafone etc. I was running 384kb/s on
the train last night through the 3G card.

Tony
Old April 9th 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tracymidd

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
tracymidd wrote:
[...]

Well I spoke to the agent of my new address, he says there has been a
landline in there....so i will have to sort it out with bt,
also on the other point of dial up, I have found NTL classic ( A plan i
havent been on for about 6 yrs, )
15 a month for dial up via a box, and you get unlimited dial up, plus the
15 I pay I will get back in calls,
I have searched everything so far and this has been the best deal so far. So
Hopefully all I will be paying out for is
10.50 a moth for BT line rental.
Thanks everyone ,

Tracym

Old April 9th 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wireless Reader

tracymidd wrote:
Hi I am moving to a remote place which doesn't have BB, when I took the
place on, I asked if it had Phone line etc the landlord said yes, now I have
found out it doesn't have, so according to BT I have to pay 75 to have one
installed, so my questions are.
Does anyone else provide phone installation etc (except NTL as they are not
out there) or is it only BT ......
also
Since BB isn't out there yet, (although NTL say they offer a freedom service
which will give me BB and Tesco offer some sort of BB) But BT say the speed
wont be too good. and advised me to wait until it is available properly..
etc
If BB is not an option, I will need Dial up, so does anyone know what the
best deal on dial up is please, ...

You ought to consider whether a 3G datacard on a high volume tariff
would be a suitable alternative.