A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

NTL Fixed IP address



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 10th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bob dydd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default NTL Fixed IP address

Hi Everybody

I am using NTL Cable broad band which has a dynamic IP address and my
Website hosting company need to have a Fixed IP Address. For security
reasons they say.

To that end they give me their dialer which I guess must be a fixed IP
address, and they allow me connection only via the dialer and 56k
modem. Yuk!

Now my website is getting a bit large, I would like to use the NTL
broadband connection to to upload.

So the question: Is there any way to get a fixed IP Address from NTL ?

Regards Bob Dydd
  #2  
Old April 10th 05, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr.Teeth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default NTL Fixed IP address

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 07:53:10 GMT, bob dydd wrote:

So the question: Is there any way to get a fixed IP Address from NTL ?


I assume that you've tried http://www.ntlworld.com/help/ ?

--
Cheers,

Guy

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
  #3  
Old April 10th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default NTL Fixed IP address

In article ,
bob dydd wrote:
I am using NTL Cable broad band which has a dynamic IP address and my
Website hosting company need to have a Fixed IP Address. For security
reasons they say.

To that end they give me their dialer which I guess must be a fixed IP
address, and they allow me connection only via the dialer and 56k
modem. Yuk!

Now my website is getting a bit large, I would like to use the NTL
broadband connection to to upload.

So the question: Is there any way to get a fixed IP Address from NTL ?


ntl: do not offer fixed IP on their home products. You could upgrade to
their business cable service, but as another has said, easier and cheaper
to find a hoster with a more reasonable access policy.

Zane.
  #4  
Old April 11th 05, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thomas Sandford
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default NTL Fixed IP address

wrote:
In article ,
bob dydd wrote:
I am using NTL Cable broad band which has a dynamic IP address and my
Website hosting company need to have a Fixed IP Address. For security
reasons they say.

To that end they give me their dialer which I guess must be a fixed IP
address, and they allow me connection only via the dialer and 56k
modem. Yuk!

Now my website is getting a bit large, I would like to use the NTL
broadband connection to to upload.

So the question: Is there any way to get a fixed IP Address from NTL ?


ntl: do not offer fixed IP on their home products. You could upgrade to
their business cable service, but as another has said, easier and cheaper
to find a hoster with a more reasonable access policy.


My experience is that though the NTL home product may not be fixed IP, in
practice, at least if you remain permanently connected (eg using a wireless
router) the IP does not change over a period of several weeks, even months.

[I'm not on NTL myself, but I provide by-IP-limited connections to someone
who is].

--
Thomas Sandford |
Paradise Green Technical Services: S'ware/Hw design and Theatre Tech. Services
Email to this address from commercial mailing lists constitutes unauthorised
computer access, and appropriate action will be taken against offenders.
  #5  
Old April 12th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bob dydd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default NTL Fixed IP address

Hi Y'all

Thanks to everyone who answered. I phoned NTL (no easy task) and was
told that they could upgrade me for 100.00 to business use but when
the free faster upgrade comes next month, if I have business contract
I would not get the free faster upgrade. Anyways! I agreed, proffered
my Visa card only to be told that it is not available in m area. Grrrr

I like the idea by Thomas Sandford, but to do this I need to find out
the IP Address of my Cable Modem on the Internet. I am using an Ambit
351000 cable modem that is about 3 years old

Does anyone no how to do this?

Bob dydd

On 11 Apr 2005 15:38:09 +0100, Thomas Sandford
wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
bob dydd wrote:
I am using NTL Cable broad band which has a dynamic IP address and my
Website hosting company need to have a Fixed IP Address. For security
reasons they say.

To that end they give me their dialer which I guess must be a fixed IP
address, and they allow me connection only via the dialer and 56k
modem. Yuk!

Now my website is getting a bit large, I would like to use the NTL
broadband connection to to upload.

So the question: Is there any way to get a fixed IP Address from NTL ?


ntl: do not offer fixed IP on their home products. You could upgrade to
their business cable service, but as another has said, easier and cheaper
to find a hoster with a more reasonable access policy.


My experience is that though the NTL home product may not be fixed IP, in
practice, at least if you remain permanently connected (eg using a wireless
router) the IP does not change over a period of several weeks, even months.

[I'm not on NTL myself, but I provide by-IP-limited connections to someone
who is].


  #6  
Old April 12th 05, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default NTL Fixed IP address

In message , bob dydd
writes
I like the idea by Thomas Sandford, but to do this I need to find out
the IP Address of my Cable Modem on the Internet. I am using an Ambit
351000 cable modem that is about 3 years old

Does anyone no how to do this?


Type myip into Google ;-)

The top result however leads to http://whatsmyip.smokingmedia.com/ which
tells me my IP accurately but tells me I'm in Amsterdam

--
dave @ stejonda

UCE Spammer : : Bots please harvest
  #7  
Old April 13th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thomas Sandford
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default NTL Fixed IP address

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , bob dydd
writes
I like the idea by Thomas Sandford, but to do this I need to find out
the IP Address of my Cable Modem on the Internet. I am using an Ambit
351000 cable modem that is about 3 years old

Does anyone no how to do this?


Type myip into Google ;-)

The top result however leads to http://whatsmyip.smokingmedia.com/ which
tells me my IP accurately but tells me I'm in Amsterdam


That's because they are too stupid to follow whois results correctly and
so take the initial reply which says your IP is allocated to RIPE, based
in Amsterdam.

They totally ignore the remaining 100 lines or so which might have some
hope of getting at least the correct country.

But in truth pretending that you can get much better than the nearest
continental group (if that) by looking at an IP address is moonshine.

Whois can tell you who the IP is allocated to but where it is used is
irrelevant.

A traceroute may give some clues if the intervening routers are helpfully
named...

--
Thomas Sandford |
Paradise Green Technical Services: S'ware/Hw design and Theatre Tech. Services
Email to this address from commercial mailing lists constitutes unauthorised
computer access, and appropriate action will be taken against offenders.
  #8  
Old April 13th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 82
Default NTL Fixed IP address

In ,
bob dydd opined very noisily:
Hi Y'all

Thanks to everyone who answered. I phoned NTL (no easy task) and was
told that they could upgrade me for 100.00 to business use but when
the free faster upgrade comes next month, if I have business contract
I would not get the free faster upgrade. Anyways! I agreed, proffered
my Visa card only to be told that it is not available in m area. Grrrr

I like the idea by Thomas Sandford, but to do this I need to find out
the IP Address of my Cable Modem on the Internet. I am using an Ambit
351000 cable modem that is about 3 years old

Does anyone no how to do this?

Bob dydd

Your current IP is/ was 82.9.86.149
Taken from your post headers
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply


  #9  
Old April 13th 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default NTL Fixed IP address

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:18:23 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

-
-The top result however leads to http://whatsmyip.smokingmedia.com/ which
-tells me my IP accurately but tells me I'm in Amsterdam

This one seems better (I'm also told I'm in Amsterdam on that one...)

http://www.whatsmyip.info/


-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
  #10  
Old April 13th 05, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,835
Default NTL Fixed IP address

On 13 Apr 2005 11:36:54 +0100, Thomas Sandford
wrote:

But in truth pretending that you can get much better than the nearest
continental group (if that) by looking at an IP address is moonshine.


far from it. Many ISPs provide reverse dns lookup to human-readable
names for their IPs. From this you can tell a heck of a lot. Mine for
instance tells you the town I'm in, the UBR I'm on, the type of
service and my ISP.

Whois can tell you who the IP is allocated to but where it is used is
irrelevant.


if you drill down a little, you can often get a bit further

A traceroute may give some clues if the intervening routers are helpfully
named...


indeed.

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fixed IP address and own server on BT Broadband? Gunter Kuhnle uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 16 November 25th 03 04:25 AM
Zen, 8 Fixed Ip Address and D-Link 604+ ADLS Newbie uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 November 23rd 03 05:30 PM
Fixed IP address in the UK Ken J uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 November 3rd 03 06:35 PM
Multiple PCs on a DSL connection - single fixed IP address. Steve T uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 15 October 10th 03 06:23 PM
Fixed IP Address And Home Network Kimball K Kinnison uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 September 23rd 03 08:58 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.