Best modem for long line?

Old April 10th 05, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Morris

Default Best modem for long line?

Our exchange is due to get broadband on 5 May. However, we get a "very
unlikely" rating from the Availability Checker due to the length of our
line. Is there a best modem I can look out for as part of an ISP package in
order to maximise our chances of getting a usable service on a long line?

Old April 10th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Trevor Morris wrote:
Our exchange is due to get broadband on 5 May. However, we get a
"very unlikely" rating from the Availability Checker due to the
length of our line. Is there a best modem I can look out for as part
of an ISP package in order to maximise our chances of getting a
usable service on a long line?

I've heard good reports about the Zyxel range, but they are not cheap....

Old April 10th 05, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Morris

"kraftee" [email protected]&die wrote in message
Trevor Morris wrote:
Our exchange is due to get broadband on 5 May. However, we get a
"very unlikely" rating from the Availability Checker due to the
length of our line. Is there a best modem I can look out for as part
of an ISP package in order to maximise our chances of getting a
usable service on a long line?

I've heard good reports about the Zyxel range, but they are not cheap....

Thanks for the tip - and as to price, a quick search shows their model 623R
(USB + Ethernet) on offer from what seems a reasonable 35 to over 100,
both plus VAT.

Old April 11th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Osiris

I've found that Speedtouch router/modems are absolutely rock-solid. Am
running at 67dB at nearly 6km on a 510 with no probs.

Old April 11th 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article . com,
Osiris writes
I've found that Speedtouch router/modems are absolutely rock-solid. Am
running at 67dB at nearly 6km on a 510 with no probs.

I can support these comments.

My Speedtouch 510 router/4 port ethernet supports 512 Kbps rock steady.
The gain is 60 dB down and 31.5 dB up. The SNR is reported as 13.5 dB
down and 18.0 dB up. My line is 8.2 Km from the exchange.

Whether I can support a 1 Mbps connection is a moot point, and likely to
be very marginal.
--
John Clark
Old April 11th 05, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:41:44 GMT, "Trevor Morris"
wrote:

However, we get a "very
unlikely" rating from the Availability Checker due to the length of our
line. Is there a best modem I can look out for as part of an ISP package in
order to maximise our chances of getting a usable service on a long line?

going for a Home250 service from Zen will maximise your chances, get a
modem or router that reports statistics then you'll know if an upgrade
will be practical.

Phil

Old April 12th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor Morris

wrote:

However, we get a "very
unlikely" rating from the Availability Checker due to the length of our
line. Is there a best modem I can look out for as part of an ISP package
in
order to maximise our chances of getting a usable service on a long line?

going for a Home250 service from Zen will maximise your chances, get a
modem or router that reports statistics then you'll know if an upgrade
will be practical.

Phil

Thanks to all for your advice and data - I will probably try the Zen 250
service with a Speedtouch 530 modem and see what happens.
Trevor Morris

Old April 13th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

For what it is worth, I am going through the same exercise with Zen at
this very moment. My line failed last Autumn and I still get the
"very unlikely" message. I am aware that several sections of the cable
that winds its tortuous route around the countryside to our house have
been replaced over recent weeks so I contacted Zen by telephone and
they checked my line and the results suggested it was worth having a
go again. I chose Zen because if you buy your hardware from them and
they cannot provide an ADSL service then they will take the hardware
back and refund all charges. Their advice was to try the more
expensive Draytek 2600 Vigor+ and go straight for the 512 service as
they claimed the technical requirements are almost identical. If that
fails they will try 256 without charge. Activation day is set for
next Tuesday so watch this space....