AOL Broadband question

Old April 11th 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Lithaborn

Default AOL Broadband question

Bear with me, I'm relaying this from my technophobic dad:

He's signed up to AOL broadband and bought their wireless router and two
internal wireless network cards. There's two puters to network, one
running XP which has the router attached and one well within wireless
range running win98. Upgrading is not an option for ths puter.

I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to networks and can handle
setting up his internal network but he's told me something I really
can't believe.

The tech people at AOL keep telling him the 8 character username and 13
character password he entered when he first set up the router is his
ADSL username and password.

I believe he's talking at cross puropses with the tech people and what's
really happening is that he's trying to connect to ADSL with his
internal username and password.

I was over at his place on Saturday and I'm reasonably convinced the
router's working perfectly and although I couldn't do it at the time
because they'd lost the win98 setup CD, I know I can sort out the card
in the older machine.

The AOL helpdesk told him they'd sent him a letter with his ADSL
username and password in. He hasn't recieved it, but he's dreadfully
confused as you can probably tell.

If anyone can shed any light on what AOL's practise is when setting up
ADSL usernames and passwords, that would be a great help.

The router is Netgear. I know this doesn't help one tiny bit, but it's
all I can remember after a frantic Sunday.

Ta in advance.
RL

--
"A man, talking"

-=[ http://hedgewitch.blogspot.com ]=-
Old April 11th 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:22:33 +0100, Robin Lithaborn
wrote:

If anyone can shed any light on what AOL's practise is when setting up
ADSL usernames and passwords, that would be a great help.

you have an account name plus optional "screen names" cringe

BT's ADSL user ID format is [email protected] so

the account name and password would be the one to plug into the router
to make the connection, if other "screen names" wanted to access their
own America Online cheeseware they would log into that on a PC.

Keyword "home networking" at a guess, or try
http://www-stg.aolsvc.co.uk/help/Speed545.htm

Phil

Old April 11th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Lithaborn

wrote:

If anyone can shed any light on what AOL's practise is when setting up
ADSL usernames and passwords, that would be a great help.

you have an account name plus optional "screen names" cringe

BT's ADSL user ID format is [email protected] so

the account name and password would be the one to plug into the router
to make the connection, if other "screen names" wanted to access their
own America Online cheeseware they would log into that on a PC.

Keyword "home networking" at a guess, or try
http://www-stg.aolsvc.co.uk/help/Speed545.htm

Phil

Thanks for that Phil. Cringe isn't the word!

OK, I think he's using his screen name in the router because "it works
for his dialup". Every time he phones tech support he has the same
conversation:

"I've tried what the last guy told me but I can't get onto the internet"
"OK, so what did the last guy tell you"
"He said I've got to to into the router and enter my username and password"
"Oh, and that didn't work? Right let's look at your router configuration"
yadda yadda...

Give me strength...

Old April 11th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

"Robin Lithaborn" wrote in message
[...]

You need to create a spare Screename and password fot the router if your
going to use the AOL software. When setting up the router username and
password you simply enter your screename and password.

You can use the master screename and password if your not using the AOL
software.