Wiring for Broadband

Old April 11th 05, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Default Wiring for Broadband

My exchange is due to be enabled for broadband soon am am looing to improve
my telephone wiring to avoid problems. I am proposing to use 6 core cat 5
cable. I understand that only 3 connections are made at each outlet. Can
anyone tell me how I should connect the twisted pairs of the cat 5 cable?
Should it be each twisted pair to each connector? I also recall reading
somewhere that cat 5 cable should not be stapled, is that correct.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Alan

Old April 11th 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

Alan wrote:

My exchange is due to be enabled for broadband soon am am looing to
improve my telephone wiring to avoid problems. I am proposing to use 6
core cat 5
cable. I understand that only 3 connections are made at each outlet. Can
anyone tell me how I should connect the twisted pairs of the cat 5 cable?
Should it be each twisted pair to each connector? I also recall reading
somewhere that cat 5 cable should not be stapled, is that correct.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Alan

Depends if you like wasting money or not ,normal 1308 style telephone cable
works fine and is about 10...15 per 100 meter drum. It works just fine
stapled to the wall as this proves .

The connections you need are 5 and 2 and 3 for the bell circuit ,most
people will connect 4 as well ,only required if you use earth recall which
you wont.

The pairs are white-blue 5 blue-white 2 white-orange 4 orange-wh 3
--
Output certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 9.2
Old April 11th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:27:00 UTC, ian
wrote:

Should it be each twisted pair to each connector? I also recall reading
somewhere that cat 5 cable should not be stapled, is that correct.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Alan

Depends if you like wasting money or not ,normal 1308 style telephone cable
works fine and is about 10...15 per 100 meter drum. It works just fine
stapled to the wall as this proves .

The connections you need are 5 and 2 and 3 for the bell circuit ,most
people will connect 4 as well ,only required if you use earth recall which
you wont.

I think he was thinking of using one pair to each of 5, 2, and 3...!

OP...you should be using one pair for 2 and 5, one for 3 and 4, and one
for 1 and 6 (not sure about teh last two, but use a pair for 2 and 3
without fail).

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 12th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Steele

"Alan" wrote in message
My exchange is due to be enabled for broadband soon am am looing to
improve my telephone wiring to avoid problems. I am proposing to use 6
core cat 5 cable. I understand that only 3 connections are made at each
outlet. Can anyone tell me how I should connect the twisted pairs of the
cat 5 cable?

Cat 5 cable is 4 pair i.e. 8 core and not six. Standard Telephone wiring
requires only two of those pairs.

Old April 12th 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

ian wrote:

Alan wrote:

[...]

OP
The connections are as above I put an extension in at home yesterday .Oh and
by the way I am a professional telecomms engineer ,after the first 500
phones circuits you get quite good at it. Use IDC connections if you can
get them screw terminals are a pain.It is worth buying the professional
tool usually called a Krone or IDC tool .