BT Supplied Modem configuration

Old April 12th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default BT Supplied Modem configuration

We are getting a second ADSL connection (wires only) and we also have a dual
wan router to load balance this with our existing connection. Im not sure
how to set up the modem though...

If I select PPPOA as the ISP says, I get a username/password box, so all OK
so far... the problem is then it would have a "Local" address on the LAN
side which I dont think we want as our current config is a BT Supplied modem
going into our own router and the BT box *appears* to only have one IP (an
Internet one), then the WAN side of our router has an internet IP one
address up from that.
Should I be configuring the new modem for the second connection so the LAN
IP is the same as its WAN IP? I'm guessing this will cause problems, hence
asking how the BT Supplied ones are configured (I know you can't play with
them...)

If I set the new modem to bridged mode then I don't get a username/password
box, so it wouldn't connect...

Maybe I can just pick any old internal range to use for the router Wan and
the modem Lan, but that seems a bit funny also...!

James.